Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
ProTek R/C 321B “Samurai” Off-Road 3-Port .21 Competition Buggy Engine (Turbo Plug) [ >

ProTek R/C 321B “Samurai” Off-Road 3-Port .21 Competition Buggy Engine (Turbo Plug) [

Like Tree10Likes

ProTek R/C 321B “Samurai” Off-Road 3-Port .21 Competition Buggy Engine (Turbo Plug) [

Old 07-31-2019, 10:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

For the record these are VZB engines. Os still produces p/s/r sets for these. Tons of them all over the place. It’s a bit more expensive than the protek brand but they are still available.

To the B2102 head question. Yes you can bolt it straight on no issues. The head button for the 2102 is actually 1mm wider than the others. I have a good condition 2102 head I would sell if anyone is interested.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jfl11 View Post
Up, nobody else can give me an answer to the above question

Thanks by advance
what needle settings do you need? 21j settings?
Old 08-02-2019, 02:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Jwilliams5 View Post
For the record these are VZB engines. Os still produces p/s/r sets for these. Tons of them all over the place. It’s a bit more expensive than the protek brand but they are still available.

To the B2102 head question. Yes you can bolt it straight on no issues. The head button for the 2102 is actually 1mm wider than the others. I have a good condition 2102 head I would sell if anyone is interested.
Jwilliams5 could you give us the Os references ? many thanks by advance I have the same issue than TAW
Not very serious for a brand like Amainhobbies to stop the spare parts of this engine only few weeks after the stop of the model
Old 08-02-2019, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

Amain has the rebuild kit an piston sleeve kit in stock. The full rebuild part number is OSM22103030. The protek is just a rerelease of the old VZB engines aka V spec or short stroke engines. It’s been discussed several times here in this forum. However I know none of us are gonna read the entire thing which is why I post when I see these questions. The design of this engine is well over 10 years old. It isn’t anything new, it is however one of the best engine packages that os has produced in a long time. Amain just rebranded the package an remarketed it. Os usually keeps parts in production well after the marketed life of their engines to keep them in service for many years afterwards. If you have any further questions feel free to ask an I will try an help with the ones that I can answer.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:25 PM
TAW
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Has anyone ever tried these? considerably cheaper than the O.S. variety https://dialedhobbies.com/nitro-engi...14-1615-detail
Old 08-05-2019, 08:15 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TAW View Post
Has anyone ever tried these? considerably cheaper than the O.S. variety https://dialedhobbies.com/nitro-engi...14-1615-detail
yes ive tried them. The quality of any knock off of an OS is never up to the specs of an OS. Yes it will drop in an run. But it doesn’t have the power, durability, longevity of a genuine OS product. Lastly the rods are cast aluminum not billet aluminum. If nobody knows what this means... it means that the rods will stretch, deform, an even bend with enough compression. The rods are the most important part of any racing engine.

Its your money, an one can waste it how they want. But I personally wouldn’t skimp when it comes to an engine or engine components. Cause if that rod breaks you just lost a nice block, DLC crank, an possibly the back plate as well. Way more damage than necessary. The prices of OS genuine rebuild kits are cheap compared to a complete engine. An getting 15 or so gallons on a piston rod sleeve set is pretty good I think. That’s how long my last two protek’s have run. I replace front bearing every other gallon or sooner if needed. Original rear bearing. No repinch yet, an isn’t even needed yet. Take good care of your engines an they will serve you for a very long time without complaint.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:38 AM
TAW
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jwilliams5 View Post

yes ive tried them. The quality of any knock off of an OS is never up to the specs of an OS. Yes it will drop in an run. But it doesn’t have the power, durability, longevity of a genuine OS product. Lastly the rods are cast aluminum not billet aluminum. If nobody knows what this means... it means that the rods will stretch, deform, an even bend with enough compression. The rods are the most important part of any racing engine.

Its your money, an one can waste it how they want. But I personally wouldn’t skimp when it comes to an engine or engine components. Cause if that rod breaks you just lost a nice block, DLC crank, an possibly the back plate as well. Way more damage than necessary. The prices of OS genuine rebuild kits are cheap compared to a complete engine. An getting 15 or so gallons on a piston rod sleeve set is pretty good I think. That’s how long my last two protek’s have run. I replace front bearing every other gallon or sooner if needed. Original rear bearing. No repinch yet, an isn’t even needed yet. Take good care of your engines an they will serve you for a very long time without complaint.
Thanks for that input, I certainly don't want to destroy the motor. I think I am going to send it out to RayA for a pinch. I got this motor used from a buddy (yeah I know) and it supposedly only had a couple gallons on it. I trust him and think that many I had it tuned a little lean cause I have only put about a half gallon on it and I just can't get it to run right. I seems to be good until it gets to the end of the first tank (fully heat soaked) then it just wants to flame out. I have reset needles to factory, replaced plugs, replaced the tank and lines, rebuilt the clutch and I just can't get it to act right. At room temp I could turn it over with the plug in fairly easy so I torn it down. In the pic I have attached I was able to push the piston up to that point with barely any resistance. If I push a little harder I can almost get it to the top.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:54 AM
Tech Addict

Yea that’s a bit worn. The rebuild kits aren’t that bad as far as pricing. You can order through tower hobbies an get a pretty good discount if amain doesn’t have a good one currently. The repinch is great to extend life of engines for sure an should get you another 2-4 gallons pretty easy if the set are able to be pinched. I just rebuilt a protek V2 an broke it in again for a friend of mine. He has two of the same engines. One never made it past the first race. Both broken in the same exact way. I’m almost positive it was just a badly matched piston an sleeve. The rebuild is running very very strong at a couple gallons now. New front bearings an air filters are truly the life of any nitro engine. It’s a pain for sure but well worth that extra effort.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:10 AM
TAW
Tech Addict

Anybody got a connecting rod or know where to get a replacement? I know an OS rod will work I just don't know the part number.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Desperate for a “New in Box” Samurai 321B 3-Port V2

I am desperately looking to buy a “Brand New” ProTek RC 321B Samurai V2 3-Port .21 Competition Buggy Engine. I have been using AMR modified versions of this engine for 3+ years now in my buggy and am trying to locate and purchase just one more of these engines. If anyone has one they would consider selling or can point me in the right direction on where I can find one, I’ll be extremely grateful!

If you have any good leads on one of these engines, please PM me and I’ll take it from there.

Thanks everyone! - Rick
Old 11-30-2019, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Officespace View Post
I am desperately looking to buy a “Brand New” ProTek RC 321B Samurai V2 3-Port .21 Competition Buggy Engine. I have been using AMR modified versions of this engine for 3+ years now in my buggy and am trying to locate and purchase just one more of these engines. If anyone has one they would consider selling or can point me in the right direction on where I can find one, I’ll be extremely grateful!

If you have any good leads on one of these engines, please PM me and I’ll take it from there.

Thanks everyone! - Rick
I have one but I recently told a friend of mine that it would only leave my possession from my cold dead hands...but I guess everything has a price. Hit me up. [email protected]
Old 01-28-2020, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hi, new to Nitro. I bought a used 321B from a Protek driver who only put 3/4 of a gallon on the engine. The Engine has been solid and performs awesome. I was looking on A-Main for replacement parts but they don't sell the crank and piston and sleeve anymore. Does it make sense to look for a new sleeve and piston or just buy a new engine once it looses its pinch?
Old 01-28-2020, 02:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Rayaracing.com pinches engines.

the vspec I believe is the same piston and sleeve but it’s more expensive then protek cause os name. Protek they don’t offer anymore. I’m unsure of part numbers I think it was already mentioned in here
ceh329 likes this.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:28 AM
TAW
Tech Addict

Does anyone know if these piston retaining clips will work on the 321b? OSM21817010 https://www.amainhobbies.com/o.s.-4m...817010/p363066

The part number is different for the old v-spec that the 321 is based on but I can't seem to find those.