Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Forged internal's in a nitro engine? >

Forged internal's in a nitro engine?

Forged internal's in a nitro engine?

Old 07-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Default Forged internal's in a nitro engine?

So has this ever been done/tried?

Would be interesting to see how much life you would get out of a forged piston and rod, maybe even the sleeve and crank as well? one can dream....

Anybody have thoughts on this?
Old 07-15-2014, 12:57 PM
Tech Champion

The RB C5-Rody had a forged piston. I never did get that engine running fast. Had heard same issues with another driver.

For sure it has nothing to do with the forged materials. With current high quality and high strength aluminium spiecies I do not think forged materials will add something extra but only a price.....
Old 07-15-2014, 01:45 PM
am
Tech Master

There is other ways to get it alot better than forged pistons ;-) and no, i will not tell you about it but i have it in a coupple of my engines.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
The RB C5-Rody had a forged piston. I never did get that engine running fast. Had heard same issues with another driver.

For sure it has nothing to do with the forged materials. With current high quality and high strength aluminium spiecies I do not think forged materials will add something extra but only a price.....
Must have been later ones. I had early C5s (just a C4 with a slugged crank) with a regular bar stock piston and those things were the best motors I've ever had.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by am View Post
There is other ways to get it alot better than forged pistons ;-) and no, i will not tell you about it but i have it in a coupple of my engines.

What, Titanium Nitride coatings and the like?
Old 07-16-2014, 05:48 AM
Tech Champion

There are better piston materials arround than we get in our consumer engines. We have such a high silicone aluminium we know it is used in the F1 for making uprights. It does need special made tools to get it in shape because it is very hard and tough. To make pistons in a mass production it will cost a lot, not because it is an expensive material but there are more costs in machine time, toolbits etc.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think the machined pistons like the Novarossi "Team" piston are as good as anything forged could ever be... all depends on the materials used of course

In full scale engines many race teams at the higher end use machined billet pistons over forged... usually custom and very expensive however

Dave,
FUSION X ENGINES AUSTRALIA
Old 07-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Not sure about rods but I know some of Novarossi's engines have the CNC "team" pistons as Dave stated above. CNC is superior to forged.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:30 AM
Tech Champion

At the end all pistons are CNC made
Old 07-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Seems to be a confusion in this thread.

All parts need to be machined (CNC / Lathe), forging doesn't take that away. Forging yields in general a stronger material than casting but it boils down to of it is worth it.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Tech Champion

The meaning of the so called CNC piston is a piston made out from a bar of piston aluminium.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My favorite color is red and by that I mean blue which is actually green.

It's important to use words in their correct meaning otherwise mass confusion ensures.
A bar of Aluminium can be cast or forged.

Anyhow, is a forged piston an advantage in itself? Material properties (thermal expansion) is key to make a good piston for an ABC design.