Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
How Should an Engine Look inside after a Day Racing? >

How Should an Engine Look inside after a Day Racing?

How Should an Engine Look inside after a Day Racing?

Old 06-09-2014, 05:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default How Should an Engine Look inside after a Day Racing?

Hey Guys Just Checking out my engine and was wondering if it's normal for the piston to be so darkened after a days racing our is it a sign of running to rich or to lean. The engine is a gallon old. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:54 AM
Tech Regular

Also the Fuel is VP masterfuel 30%
Old 06-09-2014, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Usually that sort excessive carbon buildup means either your fuel is rubbish, or your engine has lost all its compression and is re-combusting already combusted fuels.

Since your engine is only 1 gallon old, I'll go with "you're allegedly running rubbish fuel".

I've never tried this fuel, so before they go and take me to court, I'd like to make it clear that this is just guesswork and stick an "allegedly" in there.

Ps. I've also seen similar results from ingested dusty sand particles, but that would leave scratches on the sides of the piston. If your engine has good compression and no scratches on piston, change your brand of fuel.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

That looks fine. A golden brown color just shows you're making power. If there is any castor in the fuel it will deposit a slight golden to brown deposit. It actually protects the engine.

If there is no color whatsoever you're way rich and not making power and wasting fuel.

Go back to the track and have fun.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Doesn't look too bad really. Castor oil does add deposits like that as it burns. It might be a bit excessive, but if the engine is still new (1 gallon or so) all the deposits left from break in are probably still there as well. Some will burn off as you race it. Feel free to clean them off gently....but I never bother unless it's really built up.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but just a tip....clean the outside of your engine before you crack it open like that ;-)
Old 06-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

I think its too dark. Looking at my engine that has 6 gallons on it, its not that dark.... Go Byrons.......
Old 06-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Piston looks fine. Golden brown is perfect. If its still looking like new, youre too rich. If its black youre too lean.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
Usually that sort excessive carbon buildup means either your fuel is rubbish, or your engine has lost all its compression and is re-combusting already combusted fuels.

Since your engine is only 1 gallon old, I'll go with "you're allegedly running rubbish fuel".

I've never tried this fuel, so before they go and take me to court, I'd like to make it clear that this is just guesswork and stick an "allegedly" in there.

Ps. I've also seen similar results from ingested dusty sand particles, but that would leave scratches on the sides of the piston. If your engine has good compression and no scratches on piston, change your brand of fuel.
You probably have not runned many different fuels. This is normal for a castor based fuel and a rich setting and/or low compression has indeed a factor in it.

We have experemented with several oils to make a fuel, Shell Advance Racing-M was the one with very good results but with a dark black color all over the place inside the engine without hurting the engine.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Foe one gallon you have slightly more carbon then you should...means you were running rich, or there was a buildup of excess castor oil... But nothing looks abnormal.....
Old 06-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
You probably have not runned many different fuels. This is normal for a castor based fuel and a rich setting and/or low compression has indeed a factor in it.

We have experemented with several oils to make a fuel, Shell Advance Racing-M was the one with very good results but with a dark black color all over the place inside the engine without hurting the engine.
Hello the engine has been running rich due to the break in process, i won't say it has a loss of compression because i can't crank the engine over at the flywheel with my hand unless i apply a lot of force which I'm not comfortable doing why the engine is cold. Thank you for your reply and insight.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MotoGod View Post
Doesn't look too bad really. Castor oil does add deposits like that as it burns. It might be a bit excessive, but if the engine is still new (1 gallon or so) all the deposits left from break in are probably still there as well. Some will burn off as you race it. Feel free to clean them off gently....but I never bother unless it's really built up.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but just a tip....clean the outside of your engine before you crack it open like that ;-)
MotoGod how do you clean your engine before dismantling it any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Foe one gallon you have slightly more carbon then you should...means you were running rich, or there was a buildup of excess castor oil... But nothing looks abnormal.....
Thank you very much.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Just another thing do you guys give your piston and sleeves a good clean every couple of gallons or so? and if yes what do you use? Thanks.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

If you wanna clean the insides, use gasoline with about 5-10% oil added
Old 06-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BPro View Post
Just another thing do you guys give your piston and sleeves a good clean every couple of gallons or so? and if yes what do you use? Thanks.
No, never unless carbon build up is extreme such as chunks flaking off or clogging the multi-exhaust ports which never happens unless you're using some crazy high carbon fuel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.