Old 05-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

VP has castor in it as well.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hoese37 View Post
VP will blend fuels to the customers request. The Werks and Nitrotane fuels have castor oil in them. I believe the VP powermaster uses all synthetics. I think that's the reason there may be an issue with it. Every fuel manufacturer has gone through some hiccups, so hopefully VP will redeem themselves.
VP Powermaster is castor/synthetic blend. When the fuel was first released a couple of years ago dealers were told it was Nitrotane with some castor oil in it. Since that time they changed the coloring to blue maybe because Losi complained that it was the same color. They had can issues with rust inside the cans. They had cans leaking and not sealing properly and now they have issues with the fuel itself. Allot of racers are steering clear of Powermaster now and VP just lost the rights to the NHRA fuel manufacturing. They are going to need some serious dedication to come back from all this bad publicity.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 30Tooth View Post
Thanks all for your replies, in no way I was disbelieving Werks fuel, just thought that Werks Racing had it's own fuel blend facility
Lol I wish, if I had an extra 5-10 million laying around I could probably have one. The biggest issue though is not even having the funds to build the facility it's the issues that you run into dealing with the EPA (Enviromental Protection Agency) and the Department of Homeland Security which mandates that large volumes of nitromethane be stored in explosion proof bunkers with controlled access and 24hr video survelance etc etc. Then you have to document what happens with each drum from reciept to use etc. etc. As I mentioned ever since the bombing in Oklahoma it's been really difficult to deal with that stuff if you use any type of volume. If you are making some kind of brew in your garage then it's a different story as you can pretty much fly under the radar.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I take back what I said about the VP fuel. I thought my high temps were due to VP's fuel so I sealed up my engine and tried some Byron's worlds blend. Motor still ran hot and turns out Alpha engines run best at about 280-300 so no worries. Now this is just my experience, but when I switched from VP to Byrons I did notice a drop in power. Truggy just did not feel as responsive or peppy when I retuned to Byrons. Going back to VP with confidence. Byrons is a great fuel though don't get me wrong and there are many people that have had great success with it, but VP just felt better. Both are great fuels overall.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TruggyDude91 View Post
I take back what I said about the VP fuel. I thought my high temps were due to VP's fuel so I sealed up my engine and tried some Byron's worlds blend. Motor still ran hot and turns out Alpha engines run best at about 280-300 so no worries. Now this is just my experience, but when I switched from VP to Byrons I did notice a drop in power. Truggy just did not feel as responsive or peppy when I retuned to Byrons. Going back to VP with confidence. Byrons is a great fuel though don't get me wrong and there are many people that have had great success with it, but VP just felt better. Both are great fuels overall.
Did you retune when you switched fuel? If not, lean the needles and then run the Byron's....
Old 05-07-2014, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hookem34 View Post
Did you retune when you switched fuel? If not, lean the needles and then run the Byron's....
Yes, I did retune to the Byrons fuel. I still have a quart left. I may give it another go and see if I get different results...
Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Big Will View Post
What fuel is used by the most racers? Anyone know which fuel is the biggest seller?
Byron, by a large margin.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Yes, I did retune to the Byrons fuel. I still have a quart left. I may give it another go and see if I get different results...
It's not a good idea to switch back and forth between fuels. The engine reacts differently to the lubricants, and especially if the castor content is different.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pitpop View Post
It's not a good idea to switch back and forth between fuels. The engine reacts differently to the lubricants, and especially if the castor content is different.
Hey Mr. King, what nitro content do you recommend for Byron's fuel for racing? Ryan Lutz recommended 25% so that's what I bought. Could the drop of 5% in nitro be causing the powerloss that I am experiencing? I have been using 30% VP before switching to Byrons.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey Mr. King, what nitro content do you recommend for Byron's fuel for racing? Ryan Lutz recommended 25% so that's what I bought. Could the drop of 5% in nitro be causing the powerloss that I am experiencing? I have been using 30% VP before switching to Byrons.
I'm not Paul, but the answer is yes. By using different nitro content in each fuel, i dont think you can really claim that one is better than the other.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Absolutely, but 25% should get slightly better mileage than 30.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

And that is why tuning to a specific temp range just doesn't work...tune to performance and stability...only use temps as a base line
Old 05-09-2014, 09:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just wanted to give an update regarding my experience with bad fuel I had last week. Today I was able to run Bones Brew 30%, which resulted in a consistently running, ripping RB 3-port, validating that it was in fact bad fuel that wreaked havoc on me at the track last week. Thanks to Brent at Bones Brew for taking my call on the weekend, and expediting a shipment to me.