Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Can't decide on a new race engine for 3.0!!! >

Can't decide on a new race engine for 3.0!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't decide on a new race engine for 3.0!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Default Can't decide on a new race engine for 3.0!!!

I have a reedy vr .21 race engine right now in my losi 8ight 2.0 buggy that I love!!! But I'm getting the 8ight 3.0 soon and I'm not sure if I should get a another reedy for it or try something else. My friends keep telling me there's better out there which is true but I really became attached to the reedy because of it's performance. I never had any issues with it. Starts up every time automatically even when cold. Never cut off on me while driving which is important so I don't have a flame out during a race. Engine easy to tune and holds the tune very well. It always keeps consistent temperatures around the 200degrees mark. And most importantly the engine is fast/powerful on top and bottom end she screams!!!!!! And I have the factory team pipe to match already which makes it even more potent! I just can't see how any other engine could be more reliable.

So if I try another engine it has to have all these qualities plus some more!

Can you guys give me recommendations on good race engines! Don't care what the price is!
Old 04-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

I run a 2.0 myself with a Novarossi P5XL and have had very similar experiences as you have with the Reedy.

Bucketloads of power, extremely reliable and when the balls drop, it's damn quick!

I'm going to transfer it to my 3.0 when it arrives this week in the post, so I could take some footage to give you an idea on performance, even though it's had around 4 litres through it
Old 04-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Before I offer any suggestion you should let everyone know how much fuel you have gone through in your current motor, what your budget range is, and what is most important to you? (runtime, power, ease of tune, price, etc.). Everyone will have their favorite brands but the more info you give us the more of an educated opinion we can give that will hopefully give you what you want.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mwiley
Before I offer any suggestion you should let everyone know how much fuel you have gone through in your current motor, what your budget range is, and what is most important to you? (runtime, power, ease of tune, price, etc.). Everyone will have their favorite brands but the more info you give us the more of an educated opinion we can give that will hopefully give you what you want.
+1 on that.

But I will throw out there the Alpha Dragon, Werks B6, and even the newer OS VZ-B. All 3 are absolutely awesome buggy engines. Great run time, longevity, easy to tune and not too bad on the wallet
Old 04-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Smile

Definitely +1 on that.....the more relevant information that can be provided, the more beneficial the forum posters reponses/opinions will be
Old 04-12-2014, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jerm13
+1 on that.

But I will throw out there the Alpha Dragon, Werks B6, and even the newer OS VZ-B. All 3 are absolutely awesome buggy engines. Great run time, longevity, easy to tune and not too bad on the wallet
GIANT +1 for the werks.........
Old 04-12-2014, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

I'm putting a BRAND NEW Engine in the 8ight 3.0 but I'm trying to decide if I should get another new reedy .21 or try something different? Any engine in the $300 and below price range is fine! What's most important to me is consistent reliability and power!
Old 04-13-2014, 05:38 AM
Tech Adept

My vote goes to the Werks B6...best bank for the buck. There's one on eBay right now for around $220. Don't let that price fool you. This motor is a beast and you will be amazed at the power and ease of tune-ability.
It's not quit as fast as my Orion MTE but real close.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I asked how much fuel you have through your current reedy motor to get an idea of your view of reliability. Racing a motor 6 times a season and going through 2 gallons is quite different than racing and practicing every weekend while chugging down a gallon every other week. As far reliability goes you should really have no problem getting 6-8 gallons out of any motor. If you want ease of tuning I would say O.S is the easiest and will run ok even when it is out of tune. The old stand by V-spec is still a really good motor. I have not tried a Werks motor but for the price they could be hard to beat. I personally run a NovaRossi BTTA and love it because once the motor breaks in you hardly have to touch the carb and can get 10 min. pits almost anywhere. If you want max power I would suggest a modded motor. I have never run one personally but raced against a few and there is a difference. Here are a couple links to some people who mod motors. Yes there are more but just to give you some ideas. Hope this helps.
http://houstonsengineservice.com/
http://www.clockworkracingengines.com/
Old 04-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Can't go wrong with a novarossi. Best quality around and run time up the wazoo! !! Hahaha. 4BBTA can be a had for a very reasonable price.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:47 PM
Tech Adept

I asked how much fuel you have through your current reedy motor to get an idea of your view of reliability.

I'm don't remember the exact amount but I can't imagine having gone through 2-3 gallons of fuel on the engine. I'm not a weekend warrior. I just race maybe once or twice every month and I use 30% Byron fuel if that helps any.

I'm strongly thinking of getting a novarossi!
I don't really care about the budget but nothing outrageous! I just want an engine that will more than likely never fail me or give me any issues, easy tuning, and great power so that I can give my friends and other racers a run for there money on the fast parts of the track!

Last edited by TLRNitroBasher; 04-13-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TLRNitroBasher
I'm don't remember the exact amount but I can't imagine having gone through 2-3 gallons of fuel on the engine. I'm not a weekend warrior. I just race maybe once or twice every month and I use 30% Byron fuel if that helps any.

I'm strongly thinking of getting a novarossi!
I don't really care about the budget but nothing outrageous! I just want an engine that will more than likely never fail me or give me any issues, easy tuning, and great power so that I can give my friends and other racers a run for there money on the fast parts of the track!
Then stick with the big brands Nova, OS, RB and steer clear from the Taiwanese mills. I am running FX engines right now and hey seem very promising, however they are still new. Time will tell...
Old 04-13-2014, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Buy what catches your eye. There's honestly not too many "bad" engines available anymore.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I am newer to nitro, but I picked up a TOP T-Plus 4C. It is an exact copy of the Nova 4BTT with the exception of a black head vs the purple nova head. You can get it with steel bearings or a rear ceramic. You are getting a great nova motor with a black head for about $100ish less. It has broken in very nicely, and has been easy to tune to this point. To me, they are well worth a try. But from research I have done, I would agree that there are alot of great motors out there.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Frank L
Then stick with the big brands Nova, OS, RB and steer clear from the Taiwanese mills. I am running FX engines right now and hey seem very promising, however they are still new. Time will tell...

Maybe ten+ years ago. There are good engines out of Taiwan these days - Alpha, Argus, etc.. IMO there is no need to spend $400 on an engine if you're just a casual racer.. Unless you just have money to burn, want the status, or whatever. Or if you're in the very upper echelon of racers who could actually benefit from the extra 12 seconds of run-time a Speed will give you. For most casual racers, an Alpha or Argus would be a great choice, for a good price.

The Reedy afaik is made in Taiwan, and by many accounts is meant to be very good...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.