Like Tree31Likes

"easiest to tune" ENGINES

Old 04-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default "easiest to tune" ENGINES

This is just a question i would like to have answerd by many.
It's just there so many people claiming theirs is easiest.

for e.g "throw a nova carb on it, its the easiest to tune and fixes the problems"
or "once you get used to a o.s carb it's easy" (this last one conflicts itself all the time and see it mentioned often)

Whats everyones thoughts on easiest engine to tune

p.s Price has nothing to do with it. $150 or $600.00 doesnt matter

Last edited by LosiPRRACER; 04-12-2014 at 02:39 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Are you talking carbs or engines?
Old 04-12-2014, 12:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

sorry, engines lol.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:01 AM
Tech Master

FX hands down!
Old 04-12-2014, 01:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LosiPRRACER
This is just a question i would like to have answerd by many.
It's just there so many people claiming theirs is easiest.

for e.g "throw a nova carb on it, its the easiest to tune and fixes the problems"
or "once you get used to a o.s carb it's easy" (this last one conflicts itself all the time and see it mentioned often)

Whats everyones thoughts on easies to tune engine?

p.s Price has nothing to do with it. $150 or $600.00 doesnt matter
That question is like asking to find the perfect woman.. They are all good when they're fresh, but then they can get temperamental by then it depends on how much attention you gave them from the start!
petersen114 and token like this.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

just asking for engines, not opinions on my questioning ability.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:36 AM
Tech Master

Whats everyones thoughts on easies to tune engine?
My thoughts on this is it has to do with how aggressive the timing is.
Higher timing means harder to tune. Lower timing means easier to tune.
Lower timing also gives less top end speed, and more bottom end.

So basicly, the more aggressive engines are harder to tune than the more mellow ones.

Then of course the carburator has something to do with as well, but mostly carburators all sort of work in this day and age, so that plays less of a role once you know how to tune.

For something easy to tune you'd be looking for something like an Alpha F-850 club racer or any other engine with a lower timing. I'm tempted to say Novarossi P5, but the Novarossi glowplugs make for a narrower tuning window since they are colder. Hotter plugs leave a bigger window to keep the engine running, for a beginner.

Basicly manufacturers will make their "budget engines" lower timing, and their expensive engines aggressive timing. A cheap engine is basicly made the same way as an expensive engine anyway, aside from the obvious things like bearings and the more fancy porting on the sleeve. So they're really not spending that much more money on making the expensive ones. They just change the timing a whole lot.

P3 plug Alpha club racer should be way easy to tune. Probably also OS XR-B, etc. Any of the "budget" engines should be similar, 5-port or 3-port low timing etc.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

seriously how hard is it to just say "engine XXXXXXXX" done.??? rather then a big type out.

all i asked" what engine do you think is the easiest to tune" dont think its hard to answer
Old 04-12-2014, 02:41 AM
Tech Master

well.. that was a big giant waste of time...
Old 04-12-2014, 03:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Os speed is the easiest to tune. Why? I tune it correct once and no need to touch the needles ever again until engine is dead.

YOU CAN NOW CLOSE THREAD.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Nothing beats experience with tuning, no matter what brand of engine!
CDCRacing likes this.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

seriously how hard is it to just say "engine XXXXXXXX" done.??? rather then a big type out.

all i asked" what engine do you think is the easiest to tune" dont think its hard to answer
What a jack ass! I thought his explanation was very informative. There is no definitive answer to your question. Everyone has their own personal favorite engine that they think is easy to tune. It boils down to how persistent are you at learning to tune, and which engine do have that "a ha" moment with and figure it out. Good luck shit wipe!
Old 04-12-2014, 04:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

engine XXXXXXXX
Old 04-12-2014, 05:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Wow. You are kind of a punk. Don't ask a question and complain about getting more information then your brain can handle cause if that's the case maybe you should get out and learn how different carbs tune on different engines YOURSELF. All engines are different, nova carbs are good for some and hard for others including myself, my o.s. Carbs have never let me down or made my life miserable at the track but I've also had werks Orion engines in my stable that I liked specifically because u make a tune change and you feel the difference where os u might make minor changes but not feel much the Orion's and werks show noticeably whenever you play with tune allowing you to get the engine wherever you want and can handle. I hated the older piccos but supposedly the carb problems have gone away but that's not something I can comment on.
petersen114 likes this.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:01 AM
Tech Initiate

From my experience if you want easy and consistent tuning, then get an Os engine

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.