R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Offroad Nitro Engine Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum-157/)
-   -   Electrix Revenge Type N Break-in (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum/747321-electrix-revenge-type-n-break.html)

wolf6991 07-27-2013 06:50 PM

Electrix Revenge Type N Break-in

I just got this rc car from my LHS and started to break it in today. It ran fine for the first half of the first tank of gas then it just quit. (I was like wtf?) So i let it cool down and tried again it would run literally fine for around 6-10 seconds then again quit. There a crap load of oil coming out of the exhaust (this is good right?). Im using o'donnel ready to run 20% nitro. And yes i have a few years of running nitro but i honestly have never encountered this problem. So, any help is welcome. No stalling of the engine btw. runs fine for a few seconds like i said

Zachfeen 07-27-2013 06:58 PM

The engine is going to be set very rich from factory, and yes this is good. Spitting oil is good in the beginning as the lubrication is good for a new engine during break in. What you will need to do is start leaning out the the low end until the engine will idle for a whole tank. Idle two tanks through the engine at first on the box and then start leaning it out little by little and doing figure 8's on the ground at very slow speed (less than 5 mph). After 5 or 6 tanks you can start leaning out the low end more and start leaking the top end to get some top speed out of it.

With all this said, if you are not really experienced with nitro, you should get someone to help you out.

wolf6991 07-27-2013 09:24 PM

Thanks!

It running fine now, actually way better than how it originally started. The weird thing is that I am not using the needle settings from factory. It ran pretty bad with then so I used flush on both the lsn and the hsn. Now it's idling fine no prob. I found what you said kind of offensive at the end of your post. Btw nice white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe.

ozziii 07-27-2013 09:50 PM

Read the engine break in bible at the top of the engine thread, its got all the info you need. Break in fuel isn't really needed either, just use the fuel you will be running the engine on, it will do the job just fine as the engine is running rich so will still get the lube it needs. You don't need to let an engine idle for a few tanks on the box either, its better to pre heat & drive the car slowly as it helps the parts bet in better & helps get heat into the engine. Read about the heat cycle method, its better for running in engines.

Zachfeen 07-28-2013 04:51 PM

While I don't understand how in the world what I said was offensive, I'm glad you got it figured out. Nitro tuning isn't an easy thing to figure out, hence my suggestion.

And to ozziii, there are a hundred ways to effectively break in an engine. Unless you have concrete evidence that one way is better than another, I refuse to believe the heat cycle method is better than any other method.

wombat 07-28-2013 06:08 PM

Heat cycling an engine is beneficial (i.e pre-heating a new engine prior to start-up with a heat gun or engine heater), but i've always run at one to two tanks on a box straight off the bat for a new engine prior to loading it up driving it on the ground (easier to see/control idle and adjust initial needle settings with it sitting there on a box), I personally haven't and would never run an engine straight on the ground from 1st start up tank regardless if its pre-heated or not.

But that's just me....