Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
FX Royal Racing Engine Thread >

FX Royal Racing Engine Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree61Likes

FX Royal Racing Engine Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 07:49 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Graham11
I just put the Buku clutch on my FX as well and Brian F. from Buku was there to help me install and it sounds like you may have your springs set to soft and the clutch is engaging way too soon. He suggests 1 turn in on screw #1, 2 turn in on screw #2, and 3 turns in for a loose track and 1.5, 2.5, 3.5 for tracks w more grip. I used 1-2-3 for a loose track this past weekend and it was great.
Did you space the BuKu out to use standard bells or are you running the tekno bells?
Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
In a buggy the 2100 and med manifold is the best combo. You can try the long but this engine has plenty of bottom.
Ok cool thank you for the help..
Old 08-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JsK
Did you space the BuKu out to use standard bells or are you running the tekno bells?
I am running a vented serpent bell on my FX w buku clutch on a Tekno nb48, if running rear motor you will need to put a couple washers behind flywheel to get the bell close to centered on spur but even without extra shimming it was fine I just like to get close to centered
Old 08-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by nitrokiller123
The engines are probably very nice and high quality, but I don't think they are any better than if he had Novarossi or OS make it to his Specs like some guys already do. The whole "read" is a bunch of commercial, marketing plot to me. I don't blame him, you gotta advertise the products, but this stuff can be so misleading to the average Joe.

I'm a mechanical engineer, so I'm not fooled by things such as "the finest Italian and Swiss machines" or "The finest German Aluminum" ... or "The best European materials" etc etc etc. High grade aluminum is high-grade aluminum, there are standards that these materials have to stack up to in order to be characterized as high-grade (as well as heat treatments such as T6 for 7075-grade Al that we commonly use in our chassis and towers).... qualities such as hardness, young's modulus (elasticity), strength, and flow stress. Also, machines are machines, whether they are Swiss, Italian, German, American, Chinese, etc.... all that is needed is accuracy, reliability and very tight tolerances. This is not unique to Swiss and Italian machines, for example.

I know the guy is trying to sell his product, but too often people see this "fancy" language and make decisions based on this. I'm sure Novarossi also uses the "finest Italian machines"

Don't get me wrong, I respect the guy, as an engineer and fellow hobbyist I know exactly WHY he wants to make all his parts in house and control 100% of his quality output.... but from a business side, I can only imagine the amounts of money he had to put down towards those machines for a product that is already dominated by a few companies (Nova, OS, Picco). I just don't see the business model behind this. Anyone with more of a business background care to chime in on this?

I definitely look forward to seeing one in person, since the read and Neobuggy puts a lot of hype behind the engines, I want to see what makes them "better" than what I can buy for $300 on Amain, or are they just another over-priced engine? Thoughts?
You make valid points and you are correct especially considering many manufactures have cars manufactured in Taiwan except as I guess Mugen and Kyosho which are still made in Japan so how does a European manufacture compete?Engines are easier because your big names are made in Italy and Japan and to those who dont know Japanese manufacturing costs must be as high as European costs or close to .

Where I feel you are wrong is please dont place Chinese machines in the same sentance as Euoropean machines especially in this case as I think Hudy are using DMG amoungst others and really from my expeience you will have 100 pieces of shit comming out of China for ever 1 half decent cnc machine and then it will have a Japanese or German made control.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

so as it turns out from personal experience and also racer and customer feedback the FX engine is a major hit on the tracks. I dont know how many the factory is pushing out or its profitable but my opinion is its the best parts of Novarossi and the best parts of O.S combined into one engine. I would say the only down side is they are really tight and need 1-1 1/2 gallons before they are ready to be abused and you have to take it apart and do a head shim swap before you can fire it.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Naw pick it up on Tuesday 2 hours on the "to go" break in bench Friday, bolt it in and then run it in the main on Saturday (I need more Bill I need more!!!) nothink like AZ racing
That engine still has some metal pinch when cold after 2-3 gallons. Great engines IMO
Old 08-15-2014, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

Naw pick it up on Tuesday 2 hours on the "to go" break in bench Friday, bolt it in and then run it in the main on Saturday (I need more Bill I need more!!!) nothink like AZ racing
That engine still has some metal pinch when cold after 2-3 gallons. Great engines IMO
The new style (full throttle pig rich cool down 10 min between tanks ) of break in I got 4 tanks so far and the engine is just as tight as it came out of the box ha ha .... I'm gonna finish up the quart of fuel I have but I ordered a quart of the bones break in so I'll just do a few tanks to finish it up... But I agree about the tightness of the engine and it was lapped from Rex also ha ha
Old 08-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 8thwonder
The new style (full throttle pig rich cool down 10 min between tanks ) of break in I got 4 tanks so far and the engine is just as tight as it came out of the box ha ha .... I'm gonna finish up the quart of fuel I have but I ordered a quart of the bones break in so I'll just do a few tanks to finish it up... But I agree about the tightness of the engine and it was lapped from Rex also ha ha
Haha I just have Rex break them in too, I'd rather pay him to do it to save time and get consistent result
Old 08-15-2014, 04:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Graham11
Haha I just have Rex break them in too, I'd rather pay him to do it to save time and get consistent result
Yeah I should of had him do it too ha ha ,oh well can't be all play and no work
Old 08-16-2014, 12:34 AM
Tech Elite

In a buggy the 2100 and med manifold is the best combo. You can try the long but this engine has plenty of bottom.
Short med manifold?

Running the 2108 with the med med header and it's insane on astroturf, but I wouldn't mind to give a bit of power and gain some runtime.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by morgoth
Short med manifold?

Running the 2108 with the med med header and it's insane on astroturf, but I wouldn't mind to give a bit of power and gain some runtime.
I don't know which medium manifold frank is referring to but in buggy I use the 704 medium header w the 2100 pipe and wow, plenty of power everywhere, no one is out running me anywhere on the track and my lap times are down almost 2 seconds consistently.

Rex just put my 2nd FX in the mail, selling all my other engines.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I use the short radius headers in the buggy. There was a chart on the FX FB page but I don't see it there now. It listed the short radius headers for the buggy.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Tech Adept

Finally got the engine broke in, and started leaning the top end and even rich 220's F the engine freaking screams the smoke trail is great so I'm sure I can lean it a few more hours before I touch the low end needle.... The 0801 sounds great also
Old 08-24-2014, 09:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey guys, having trouble with fuel mileage.

I'm running an RB 6mm venturi (see pic below) with the 2108 pipe and a medium header.

Tune seems to be good (got some help from a more experienced driver) - idle lays down, good power, smoke at all times, and no run-on. If it matters, temps are around 120C-130C (Around 250F). I'm running a new OS P4 plug, and ambient temps are around 15C (60F), starting to move into spring.

I only get 7 minutes of run time on a good run, and that's pushing at normal pace - not pushing particularly hard, but not going easy on the engine either.

Any suggestions? Should I move up to a 6.5mm-7mm venturi or run a different pipe/header combo? Most of the guys at my track run a 2100 with their FX and can still clear all the jumps, but I still need bottom end power to clear a hard step-on step-off section that has a fairly short run-up. With my current setup I can also easily clear all the jumps on my track, with some overshoot. Something else to note is that the engine seems to have more power at the around 3/4 full to 1/2 full tank, with a fully heat-soaked chassis, but power drops off slightly near the end of the tank. Is this a sign of a mid-tank lean? I run a Buku clutch set at 1.25, 2, 3 turns, and my drivetrain is not binding (Mugen MBX7). The other guys with FX's at my track get around 9-10 minutes of run time easy, but I can't seem to crack the code.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by HomicidalBunny; 08-24-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:12 AM
Tech Master

Start running a normal 6 mm venturi so you know it isn't because of the RB venturi you get low mileage. Shoot some pictures of the internals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.