Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
FX Royal Racing Engine Thread >

FX Royal Racing Engine Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree61Likes

FX Royal Racing Engine Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Mechanically speaking, they are all exactly the same so take your pick.
Good point actually.So right now this an high quality engine and nothing more.That reason will suffice for some I'm sure.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

if im not mistaken he said this has been 6 years in the making. They have released these videos so lets see some motors running. You would think they would have some for sale by now
Old 07-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
How dare you bring some common sense to this thread?
Now seriously,which engine did FX copied?I mean,which engine does FX compares to?
Im just looking for someone to explain to me how investing (what Im assuming to be) several million dollars (or Euro equivalent), into a business where you sell an engine for, say, $500 (knowing everything Xray, Hudy-Related is very expensive).... The number of engines you would have to sell is incredible for you to make up that kinda loss... then you're still paying operators, a couple of engineers, quality checks, packaging, marketing, administrative costs, etc etc while trying to catch up to breaking even.

Unless the thing can run 15 minute tanks and last 15 gallons, I don't see how it will compete with ~$300 Novas in the marketplace.

And before you go flaming me (especially the fanboys),,, realize that I come with a neutral position, just asking the questions anyone would ask when starting a venture of this magnitude to an already saturated market. No bashing here
Old 07-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hmm

I think he did it because he could and he wanted to. it is nice to see someone else besides Asia countries and Italy make an engine. it's like the United States giving up on manufacturing. it's kind of sad really. going against the odds is awesome in my opinion. Most of the greatest minds went against the odds. I don't know Mr. Hudy, but he is certainly an interesting guy. More power to him.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrokiller123
Im just looking for someone to explain to me how investing (what Im assuming to be) several million dollars (or Euro equivalent), into a business where you sell an engine for, say, $500 (knowing everything Xray, Hudy-Related is very expensive).... The number of engines you would have to sell is incredible for you to make up that kinda loss... then you're still paying operators, a couple of engineers, quality checks, packaging, marketing, administrative costs, etc etc while trying to catch up to breaking even.

Unless the thing can run 15 minute tanks and last 15 gallons, I don't see how it will compete with ~$300 Novas in the marketplace.

And before you go flaming me (especially the fanboys),,, realize that I come with a neutral position, just asking the questions anyone would ask when starting a venture of this magnitude to an already saturated market. No bashing here
I agree with you,if it doesn't stand out performance wise it will be a hard sell for many.
He didn't claimed that the CNC machines were expensive,maybe second-hand?Maybe he bought the ones from GRP Engines?Or TechnoPower?
That's where major savings can be had.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I don't think the market really is saturated overall. Yes there is a glut of good offroad motors but 80% of them came from the same four manufacturers.

Then there is onroad where there is Nova, Picco, and no one really cares about anything else. In fact, we only care about Picco about half the time. For this reason, Nova sells a bloody ass load of motors at ridiculously high prices. There is money to be made there for someone that can do it right.

As for the investment, this is a LONG term investment. He will not see a return on this kind of investment for 15 years or more.

And what is to stop him from making plane and boat motors in the future? Once you already have the equipment, personnel and knowledge to make car motors, expanding into these areas is a trivial additional expense.

One thing he is doing right is starting with offroad motors. There are a whole lot of reasons for this that I don't care to get into since it will just start an argument. Bottom line is that he can cut his teeth in the thriving offroad market, figure out what he's doing while still selling a bunch of motors and then break into other markets where profit potential is even higher. If they were releasing onroad .12s and .21s at the same time, my prediction would be disaster.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Tech Lord

I should also point out that he has already done this once. The investment to make car kits is just as huge, the market is just as flooded and yet he has thrived. So why can't he do it again?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Yeah why not, Skoda sells very well, too.
Depends on the value (price vs features).
Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Tech Addict

I should also point out that he has already done this once. The investment to make car kits is just as huge, the market is just as flooded and yet he has thrived. So why can't he do it again?
I certainly don't believe that he can't or won't, in fact, for his sake and for those who buy the engines, I hope they are a success. My only worry is that he may have to raise the prices of the engines. The XRAY buggy itself is priced very close to the rest of the buggies, so it doesn't really have any issues there.... BUT... if this engine costs 500-550 dollars (like some people are expecting) and it doesnt outperform engines that cost less, why would you or I buy it? If I buy a Bonito, it's because it's a complete badass engine that has everything I could want in buggy or truggy... if this thing doesnt outperform it, why would I spend the extra $$$?

The buggy goes for 630 on Amain.... comparable to Losi, Mugen, etc. If it were priced as a Kyosho, would it sell as well as a Kyosho? Why would I pay $900 for an XRAY when I can but a Kyosho? do you see my point? this is just an example with the buggies.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:54 AM
Tech Lord

I seriously doubt it will be 550 for an offroad engine. 400 tops and probably less than that.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

I seriously doubt it will be 550 for an offroad engine. 400 tops and probably less than that.
Don't forget there's the FX tuned pipe designed specifically for this engine
Old 07-02-2013, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I certainly don't believe that he can't or won't, in fact, for his sake and for those who buy the engines, I hope they are a success. My only worry is that he may have to raise the prices of the engines. The XRAY buggy itself is priced very close to the rest of the buggies, so it doesn't really have any issues there.... BUT... if this engine costs 500-550 dollars (like some people are expecting) and it doesnt outperform engines that cost less, why would you or I buy it? If I buy a Bonito, it's because it's a complete badass engine that has everything I could want in buggy or truggy... if this thing doesnt outperform it, why would I spend the extra $$$?

The buggy goes for 630 on Amain.... comparable to Losi, Mugen, etc. If it were priced as a Kyosho, would it sell as well as a Kyosho? Why would I pay $900 for an XRAY when I can but a Kyosho? do you see my point? this is just an example with the buggies.
For the same reason people buy hudy tools..
Guys get caught in in "name brand" stuff, it's instinct for most of us. 20 plus years ago I started buying snap on tools, even tho some where triple the price of the competitors. I'd do it again in a heart beat.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sschultz
For the same reason people buy hudy tools..
Guys get caught in in "name brand" stuff, it's instinct for most of us. 20 plus years ago I started buying snap on tools, even tho some where triple the price of the competitors. I'd do it again in a heart beat.
I'll admit it myself, I bought a Hudy 2 mm hex attachment because of the "reputation" Hudy tools had.

Turned out to be worse than my Dynamite 2 mm tip. It wore down rather quickly.

And even worse, I was trying to remove a screw that apparently had been lock-tight-ed from hell trying to help a buddy and the whole hex attachment broke from TORSION force. I don't know if it was too thin (the shaft) or what, but it just snapped.

I grabbed my Dulled out dynamite 2.00 mm driver and removed the screw

That's the day I learned: Don't pay $13 for a "Hudy Special Spring Steel" hex driver. The $6.99 dynamite is that much better.

again, the power of good advertising.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by am
We had one at the race today. Looked fast and decent fuelconsuption. he had to drive careful and then make 10 minutes. he went out of fuel 10 meters after the finsihline- LOL but enough to get into the finale.

Looked good and supposedly very easy to adjust and running Nice :-)
I am the pit guy guilty of making it a close call in that race I clocked him at 10.30 in the qualifiers, and so he decided to make 10 minute pitstop. I hurried too much with the fuel bottle, so it was foam on top and not 100% full when i let it go. You can say I was a bit nervous at that last lap. Espescially when it started bogging on entry on the main straight on the last lap...
Should have filmed it, because the engine actually stopped on the last jump and the car rolled over the finish line. Talk about nailbiter!

Too bad the throttle servo died halfway into the final, he was at a good pace. Both the XB9 `13 and FX engine was working very well!

The engines are probably very nice and high quality, but I don't think they are any better than if he had Novarossi or OS make it to his Specs like some guys already do. The whole "read" is a bunch of commercial, marketing plot to me. I don't blame him, you gotta advertise the products, but this stuff can be so misleading to the average Joe.

I'm a mechanical engineer, so I'm not fooled by things such as "the finest Italian and Swiss machines" or "The finest German Aluminum" ... or "The best European materials" etc etc etc. High grade aluminum is high-grade aluminum, there are standards that these materials have to stack up to in order to be characterized as high-grade (as well as heat treatments such as T6 for 7075-grade Al that we commonly use in our chassis and towers).... qualities such as hardness, young's modulus (elasticity), strength, and flow stress. Also, machines are machines, whether they are Swiss, Italian, German, American, Chinese, etc.... all that is needed is accuracy, reliability and very tight tolerances. This is not unique to Swiss and Italian machines, for example.

I know the guy is trying to sell his product, but too often people see this "fancy" language and make decisions based on this. I'm sure Novarossi also uses the "finest Italian machines"

Don't get me wrong, I respect the guy, as an engineer and fellow hobbyist I know exactly WHY he wants to make all his parts in house and control 100% of his quality output.... but from a business side, I can only imagine the amounts of money he had to put down towards those machines for a product that is already dominated by a few companies (Nova, OS, Picco). I just don't see the business model behind this. Anyone with more of a business background care to chime in on this?

I definitely look forward to seeing one in person, since the read and Neobuggy puts a lot of hype behind the engines, I want to see what makes them "better" than what I can buy for $300 on Amain, or are they just another over-priced engine? Thoughts?
First, I agree with you that the advertisements are a bit over the top. It is beyond doubt that Hudy is proud of his products, but someone need to tell him to tone down the ads a bit I think. (I am also a mechanical engineer )

Secondly, this engine is not groundbreaking in any particular way as far as I can tell, yet (too soon to tell on durability). It has been very easy to run in, tune and race (still a bit on the rich side). It runs strong, with a smooth powerband. It has been very stable so far, and no surprises coming from the O.S. Speed engines we have been running for years now.
And that might just be the magic. This engine does what you expect it to do, nothing more and nothing less. You might even say the engine looks a bit booring. But when you start looking at the details, there are some really high quality bits there.
I am very much looking forward to have some more track time with this engine. I got mine last week, and will start running in this weekend I hope.

Thirdly, why do some people think that this engine will be so expensive??? My guess is that this engine will have a street price of around USD 350. And yes it has a specific pipe designed for it, but so does all other engines. Might be that another pipe will work just fine too, just like on most other engines...

I dont know what the delay is, but FX engines are hopefully available everywhere very soon...

Last edited by OleC; 07-05-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
Don't forget there's the FX tuned pipe designed specifically for this engine
If they're going to be anything like the VOX engine line where the exhaust outlets are angled downwards so you really don't have any choice but to purchase a VOX matching exhaust so it fits well...I think this will limit their market.

Good luck to them, no doubt it will be decent product, but hope the release pricing of their engines will be as competitive as the other established/proven marques. They'll have a battle on their hands if its priced anything over the $400 range, given the super-nice mills available between the $250 to mid-upper $300's price range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.