Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
The Official FX Royal Racing Engine Thread >

The Official FX Royal Racing Engine Thread

Like Tree9Likes

The Official FX Royal Racing Engine Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here is a short and lowquality video of my FX engine just after the break-in in my Hudy bench. The engine was ready for more break-in on the track in my practise car.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Same here these will be a fantastic engine and if your looking for every thing rolled into one look no further....These things just complement the rest of the XB9.....

Old 05-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

So what's the run time on these engines then if you have tried it?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Is that a 3 needle carb? For me, the success of the engine lies with the carb.

Is it short needle or long? Looks like a 5 port?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

How in the weird can you tell how many ports it has from an external picture?

Mad skills
Old 05-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t8rtot View Post
How in the weird can you tell how many ports it has from an external picture?

Mad skills
Look back a page.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

Yearh, its a 5 port engine and 3 needle carb. Don't know about short or long needles.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Tech Master

Here is the break-in info etc. from Mario Hudy:

Engine break-in procedure & basic information

Break-in:
For maximum performance it is very important to follow these break-in procedures:

1.) After the engine is started it should run idle for 3 fuel tanks just on starter box.
2.) Now you can start running the engine on the track with more rich setting and start to make the engine more lean. With outside temperature 10-25C the temperature of the engine should be in range 103-110C. If the temperature is higher than 30C the temperature of engine should be approximately +5C. Measure the temperature of engine in the glow plug area and on the side of the engine head.
3.) After 2 hours of first run the performance should be very good. The temperature of the engine should not be more than 120C.
4.) After 5 hours of first run the performance of the engine will be at the maximum. The maximum performance of the engine should usually last between the 5th-15th hour of run time.

Life time:
High performance of the engine is up to 20-30 hours depending on the servicing of air filter. The cleaner the air filter is the more extended life time of the engine is. During the 20-30 hours there is no need to change crankshaft, piston, sleeve or any other part. The only part that must be regularly exchanged are the ball bearings. This first engine includes standard ball-bearings which will wear faster and therefore another spare bearing is included.

Regularly check for:
Glow plug , the wire must be clean and have smooth surface.
Bearings, especially the front one. The bearing must turn freely and smooth. You can not feel the bearing to be grindy.

Engine head shim initial settings:
The preinstalled engine head shim is 0.4mm and is strongly suggested for break-in procedure. After the at least 5 hours of run you can change for 0.3mm to increase the power of the engine.

Fuel consumption:
When the engine is new the engine should have 7.-8.5min runtime until refueling with 7.0mm venturi. The more hours the engine has the lower consumption is and the higher run time. After 10 hours the consumption is considerably lower and run time should be 8.0-9.5min depending on the track. Using the smaller venture 6.0 or 6.5mm the run time should increase to 9.0-11.0mm but will be more difficult for carburetor setting and the engine must be more lean and temperature around 120-130C.

Glow plug:
All glow plugs are one of the best quality in the market, all made in Japan.
The X3 included in the engine is strongly recommended for break-in procedure and should be used when racing in lower temperatures and shorter tracks.

The X4 is optional glowplug which is suggested for higher temperatures and longer tracks and final runs.

The X5 is optional glowplug and is suggested for very high temperatures on long track and for long finals.

Carburetor setting:
After break-in procedure the carburetor setting is following:
Rear needle exactly at 0mm of the needle body.
Front needle 0.2-0.6mm inside the needle body.
Upper main needle - 0.2-0.6mm inside the needle body.

Muffler & manifold:
The engine was developed, tuned and tested to work with the muffler EFRA2100 and manifold M. Using any other muffler or manifold will have negative influence on the performance and reliability of the engine.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I don't understand the marketing ploy. Why would you put a no-name brand on an engine made by or for one of the best known names in the business? Everyone who races or knows anything about RC knows Hudy. Sure some people bitch about the prices but I've never heard anyone say anything with the Hudy or Xray name was crap. For a new product that would be the best thing going for it. Someone with some knowledge explain this to me.........
Old 05-19-2013, 03:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I don't understand the marketing ploy. Why would you put a no-name brand on an engine made by or for one of the best known names in the business? Everyone who races or knows anything about RC knows Hudy. Sure some people bitch about the prices but I've never heard anyone say anything with the Hudy or Xray name was crap. For a new product that would be the best thing going for it. Someone with some knowledge explain this to me.........
I agree but from a marketing standpoint with most engines being very close to equal in performance when a new mill hits a flooded market if it is not popular it can/does run the name of the company down. I suspect that in a short time if the engine in the real world with real drivers (customers) does good in their hands then the name will probably get changed. Look at the Nvision line, the owners/designers are the same as Orion yet it was not popular, and from what I have heard it is a testing company for new designs this way if it fails it doesn't bring down the name of the parent company. Just my 2 cents but I have been in marketing and a new product can either make or break it in the hands of non sponsored people. You know a person who is sponsored will not tell people it isn't what they want or it is lacking on power or other things. Lets wait and see and if it is as good as it should be I bet there will be a hudy line to follow suit
Old 05-19-2013, 07:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeromerc View Post
I agree but from a marketing standpoint with most engines being very close to equal in performance when a new mill hits a flooded market if it is not popular it can/does run the name of the company down. I suspect that in a short time if the engine in the real world with real drivers (customers) does good in their hands then the name will probably get changed. Look at the Nvision line, the owners/designers are the same as Orion yet it was not popular, and from what I have heard it is a testing company for new designs this way if it fails it doesn't bring down the name of the parent company. Just my 2 cents but I have been in marketing and a new product can either make or break it in the hands of non sponsored people. You know a person who is sponsored will not tell people it isn't what they want or it is lacking on power or other things. Lets wait and see and if it is as good as it should be I bet there will be a hudy line to follow suit
Also somebody driving a losi or kyosho ect,might not want to run a engine from another company that also makes a chassis.I think it makes since to change the name.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Looks like a solid design.

Pipe set smacks of being extremely similar to a Nova 9901/41021

The internals look to be patterned off other Nova traits as well...

NOT saying it's mfg by Nova
Old 05-19-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Rookie

I found some pics of the new FX Engine in a Spanish website!!! It's looks awesome and impressive!!

Sorry but, It's my first post. You have to put this without spaces: http : // tinyurl . com / bgqvu94
Old 05-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Call me mr. negative, but.. the conrod looks like something off a Go Engine, the case looks like something RB used on their Taiwanese line of cheapos, the HSN assembly on the carb (the brass colored bit) looks like it's taken from an Alpha..

So basicly, is this going to be some Taiwanese manufactured thing, and then will they say that they have designed the porting and timing etc?

Lots to speculate about.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:05 PM
am
Tech Master

Hudy would not lie and say he manufactor them if they are not... Did you not read the interview on Neo?...

Check ut profi engines, they look like crap, but are awsome modelplane engine... They also made the bimetal and BRB ( bryllium bronse ) sleeves for Palmaris.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service