Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Best nitro engine for 1/8 scale buggy >

Best nitro engine for 1/8 scale buggy

Best nitro engine for 1/8 scale buggy

Old 04-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Best nitro engine for 1/8 scale buggy

Hi all, i am new to all of this, so here goes. i have just bought a 1/8 scale off road buggy from a friend, i want to put a new engine in it because it has been used a lot. what is the best (quickest accelerating) engine going. i have looked at some but nothing has jumped out at me. cheers
Old 05-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Pullstart or bumpstart,?
You mustn't have looked to far because there is plenty of engines with plenty of power that will make a buggy accelerate fast but its not just the engine, its the gearing as well, the weight of the buggy, tires & the surface as well as the clutch to so with the right combination then just about any engine will make a car accelerate very fast.
Just look through some of the threads here on RC Tech & you will find good engines.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Convert it to electric if you want supper acceleration. If all you care about is speed or acceleration buy a cheaper engine, they have tons of power and are cheap, the more expensive engines are smoother and get better mileage while the cheaper ones don't worry about fuel mileage so go with a .28 or something like that
Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you want a good mill that is easy to break in and tune. You need to try out one of th Reds R5 engines. I have never had a mill be so user friendly. I have had I know of 4 friends who have bought one after seeing ours run and they would tell you how good hey are. I'm working on getting another one real soon fr my other son as well. These things are nasty fast and you won't be upset with your purchase.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Picco Boost 5TR, Fast, smooth, killer mileage and a dream to tune.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ine-Turbo-Plug
Old 05-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

For anyone who's still learning I would recommend a werks engine like most here would recommend, super fast engines with easy tune and a business owner who helps big time if something isn't right. Really honestly go with the werks, a b5 has the most power and b6 is a smoother version of the b5, the b2 is a killer engine also and is has the best price. 2013 pipe!! Telling u this advice I'm giving u is what I wish someone would of told me 5 years ago.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default P5

P5
Old 05-07-2013, 01:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

How long's a piece of string? You'll get about 50 different responses on here to your query.

Research this forum if you want to get in depth, but to be honest most of the brand-name engines will have a model that fits the bill, just depends how much you want to spend.

What Jerome said is spot on - and as he said, if you want stupidly fast, convert to brushless electric
Old 05-07-2013, 02:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
P5
+1
Old 05-07-2013, 02:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you want power, get a 7 port or a .25 or .28. I have ran many different engines and I don't care there is not a single nitro engine that will run away from another where there is a clear difference if they are the same engine size. Some engines have a little more top end while others have tons of low end grunt. We had a track in Vietnam where there was a single single NO ONE could make it a single and we run .28, OS Speeds, I had my 7 port Orion, Bonittos the whole nine yards. One day I tried my new Werks B2 engine, $169 and it did it! The track was redesigned the next day because I kept doing it and they didn't like it but on the straight everyone would get me because the B2 had low power not top speed. I don't bash anymore and I have realized why smooth power is better and I have fallen in love with my X3LFM from Houston's Engine service. It has more low end power than the new OS Speed II, top end is up there with the 7 ports maybe just a tad less but again I have so much low end grunt I could put a 15T clutch bell on and then I would have them on top. If you spend tons of money and want tons of power get a 7 port engine, but just get any engine that has support, so I would say go with Fusion, Werks or Novarossi any of these engines will have stellar support and at the end of the day all engines are close and none clearly outshine any other they all have good areas and bad areas but if there was the holy grail of nitro engines then everyone would run the same thing. So for me the holy grail isn't the best or fastest but the best supported engine out there