Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
carb help! simple question im sure. >

carb help! simple question im sure.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

carb help! simple question im sure.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Default carb help! simple question im sure.

im noob to the hobby just got my car today and am following all of the directions in the manual and on the bibles on this site. but i cant find anywhere in the manual or on the internet that will tell me CLEARLY where the F the needles are located. i can see 3 needle adjustments but i dont know which are which.

i started the car and it was like WOT and no smoke was comming out or very little anyway so im sure its running way to lean and i dont wanna damage my new ride. so i choked it out. but i cant adjust any settings cuz the damn manual wont tell me which needles are which can someone here tell me?

please anyone if you can help reply asap i dont ahve much daylight left and would like to do as much as i can thank you so much!
Attached Thumbnails carb help! simple question im sure.-1.jpg   carb help! simple question im sure.-2.jpg   carb help! simple question im sure.-3.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Needle 1 is your High Speed (HSN) needle. Needle 2 is the idle adjustment screw. Needle 3 is your Low Speed (LSN) needle.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JamminSP
Needle 1 is your High Speed (HSN) needle. Needle 2 is the idle adjustment screw. Needle 3 is your Low Speed (LSN) needle.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! another quick one if you dont mind i adjust the high speed needle to make it richer or leaner correct? and if so can you tell me which way to turn it to make it richer? is it clockwise or counter?
Old 03-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Acecom1
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! another quick one if you dont mind i adjust the high speed needle to make it richer or leaner correct? and if so can you tell me which way to turn it to make it richer? is it clockwise or counter?
counter is rich, clockwise is leaning. Make your hsn (high speed needle) flush at least. I see it's a little below flush.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by sschultz
counter is rich, clockwise is leaning. Make your hsn (high speed needle) flush at least. I see it's a little below flush.
okay i did and still the car is WOT it seems. no matter what i do it wont idle normally. i backed the HSN out past flush to richen it up a little more which did bring the rpm's down a little, but when i try to back off the idle screw it simply does nothing. no change in rpm what so ever. if i turn "in" the idle screw "clockwise" it gets all rage on me in the rpms sky rocket. HMPT! any suggestions?

also should it be spitting fuel out of the top of the motor?
Old 03-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Either the carb slide is not closing all the way or your idle gap is set a bit high. Pull the air filter and see how much of a gap there is. You could also sicken up the bottom end.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

step1...take air cleaner off
step2 if a plastic insert in carb...take that out
step3 look into the carb while applying the breaks, should be a little air hole smaller then a paper clip end....if not close that hole with the idle adjustment screw
step4 flush hi speed and low speed needles if anything out just a tad...
Old 03-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

okay i did and still the car is WOT it seems. no matter what i do it wont idle normally. i backed the HSN out past flush to richen it up a little more which did bring the rpm's down a little, but when i try to back off the idle screw it simply does nothing. no change in rpm what so ever. if i turn "in" the idle screw "clockwise" it gets all rage on me in the rpms sky rocket. HMPT! any suggestions?

also should it be spitting fuel out of the top of the motor?
When you turn the idle screw clockwise, you INCREASE the idle speed. Take an old credit card and cut a sliver of it off so that you can use it to set your idle gap for break in. You want to cut it so that you can use the thickness of it as a guage. After you have it set(the idle gap) fire it up and set the idle speed of the engine with the LOW SPEED NEEDLE. If it's high UNSCREW,(turn counter clockwise) until it's at a speed that your clutch is not engaging. If low, tighten(turn clockwise) lsn til it idles at good speed without engaging clutch.

It's set rich, so fuel will spit out of carb....

After you have broke in to your satisfaction, Set idle gap to around .5mm to .7mm and NEVER touch it again, use the lsn to set your idle....Good Luck...
Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sschultz
When you turn the idle screw clockwise, you INCREASE the idle speed. Take an old credit card and cut a sliver of it off so that you can use it to set your idle gap for break in. You want to cut it so that you can use the thickness of it as a guage. After you have it set(the idle gap) fire it up and set the idle speed of the engine with the LOW SPEED NEEDLE. If it's high UNSCREW,(turn counter clockwise) until it's at a speed that your clutch is not engaging. If low, tighten(turn clockwise) lsn til it idles at good speed without engaging clutch.

It's set rich, so fuel will spit out of carb....

After you have broke in to your satisfaction, Set idle gap to around .5mm to .7mm and NEVER touch it again, use the lsn to set your idle....Good Luck...
+1..

What car is it and did you read the manual to your car? Or is it used? welcome to the hobby btw, it's been a blast for me!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bigbadbasher
+1..

What car is it and did you read the manual to your car? Or is it used? welcome to the hobby btw, it's been a blast for me!
Tahnks. yes i have read my entire manual. it is an ofna nexx 8t brand new just unbloxed it.

i found out what is happening. it seems if i have the electronics on( IE the reciever and the remote) for some reason the servo is getting the command to throttle up and stay there. it seems there is nothing i can do to stop it other than turn the electronics off and manually push the servo arm for the throttle closed. now i can start the car and adjust the needles. but as soon as i turn the remote(transmitter) on it goes all crazy.

also is it normal for the blow plug starter to eat batteries like crazy i ahve been through 2 D batteries in less than an hour....
Old 03-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

You need to adjust the throttle trim on the remote to where the carb is closed and if you can't adjust the trim take the throttle servo horn off turn the electronics on and then put the servo horn back on
Old 03-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Tahnks. yes i have read my entire manual. it is an ofna nexx 8t brand new just unbloxed it.

i found out what is happening. it seems if i have the electronics on( IE the reciever and the remote) for some reason the servo is getting the command to throttle up and stay there. it seems there is nothing i can do to stop it other than turn the electronics off and manually push the servo arm for the throttle closed. now i can start the car and adjust the needles. but as soon as i turn the remote(transmitter) on it goes all crazy.

also is it normal for the blow plug starter to eat batteries like crazy i ahve been through 2 D batteries in less than an hour....
Do you have trim dials on your transmitor? Am sure you do. Maybe the throttle trim is turned way up. Or the servo horn on your throtlle did not get installed properly.... The glow plug ignitors will eat battery's fast if left on for long periods of time. Normally it takes 10 seconds at most to fire up your ride....
Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

When you turn on your truck and your transmitter, does the steering work? The reason I ask is because if you didn't bind the transmitter to the truck then that would cause your throttle servo to not work and go wide open when you turn it on.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

JQ Products has a great video for the new nitro person. You can find it on their web site
Old 03-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

http://vimeo.com/m/56468439

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.