Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Buying a D8 Hara looking for a good .21 engine with tuned pipe >

Buying a D8 Hara looking for a good .21 engine with tuned pipe

Buying a D8 Hara looking for a good .21 engine with tuned pipe

Old 03-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Tech Initiate

I understand that the hp rating of these engines can be somewhat off.....it depends the benchmark tool the manufacturer uses and there is no standard they have to adhere by,

However, a reputable company will not post a rating way off, especially when they know some racers can purchase a dyno tool (a few have done so) to measure the hp output.

The reason I mention this is because this information was very useful for me....I saw a .21 OS engine I liked (don't remember the model) for a reasonable price a while back. I was considering it because the OS is a very reputable name.

It was a .21 with awesome specs designed for buggies, so I compared it to the specs of the Werks B5. (or B2, doesn't matter)

Everything looked good and it seems they were head to head in design, price, reputable etc.......then I looked again carefully at the specs.

OS - 2.0hp
B5 -2.6hp

Even if the manufacturer is a little off in their hp assessment, the gap is too big.
There is definitely a difference output power.
Actually there is a huge difference in power; about half a horsepower!!!!!!!

How would I have known this unless I read the hp specs? No way!
Old 03-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Tech Champion

You're still giving way too much credence to HP claims.

They are all absolute nonsense - as in seriously completely meaningless. Really.

And nobody reliable these days uses a dyno. Back in the day AB Mods did - but who since him - who's reliable - regularly uses one to test real HP numbers? Nobody..
Old 03-23-2013, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Don't worry about HP, they throw those numbers for you to salivate over. Think of it like this though, really if there was a huge difference in HP and it really meant something don't you think all the top drivers would be running the same engine OR wouldn't one engine be dominating all the races?? Look at Novarossi as an example, Battle won with the plus 4 series of engines, why did he not run the Bonitto? It is by far the most powerful Off road engine they offer, as a matter of fact why don't all of Novarossi's top drivers run that engine? Because the plus 4 series has enough power and it gets better fuel mileage, that's why.

The B5 is designed for a truggy, will it work well in a buggy yes, but the power curve is more for a truggy because a truggy has bigger tires, different gear ratio, it is heavier and it needs more bottom end and top end to pull the heavy thing around the track.

The B2 is also a truggy style engine with tons of bottom end power, but it is smooth enough to work well in a buggy, and its main selling point is it's price. It is a great engine and I am sure it has won some club races here and there, I am by far not the best driver in Vietnam but I did TQ with it in my seriese in Vung Tau last year and this year one of the best drivers (last years Vietnam National champion) started racing it and he recently finished 2nd at the first race for Vietnam this year and he loves it.

The thing to really remember is there are more things to worry about than power, if you want power don't go cheap, go expensive. What I mean is if you have decided on Werks, buy the expensive one, get one with ceramic ball bearings, go B6 pro. I do the same, if I want a Werks I will buy a B6 pro, if I want a Fusion I will buy a lightning. I used to think like you did and I worried about power, but power doesn't win races, consistency is what wins races. That is how I choose my race engines, but..... if I was never going to race and only bash, I would do the exact opposite look for cheap and powerful because run time doesn't mean anything and why spend spend $100 or more on something that is really only going to give you run time? Even my practice motors are top quality, I want ceramic bearings so they last, I want good run times so I can devise pit strategies so I know what my engines are capable of, but for a basher I don't care, I want to run the piss out of it see how high it can fly or do a 1 block drag race with my friends, that kind of action doesn't require a fuel strategy only fill it up and go!