R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Offroad Nitro Engine Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum-157/)
-   -   Bones Brew Fuel (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum/705783-bones-brew-fuel.html)

evolution03 03-31-2013 09:02 AM

I have noticed that Bones Brew makes a break-in fuel that is suppose to speed up the break-in process. I'm assuming that there is an additive that gives a little extra friction between the piston and sleeve. So my question is will using this break-in fuel accelerate the wear of the bearings ? Will the bearings not last as long after using this break-in fuel ?

Jaz240 03-31-2013 09:09 AM

Break in fuel typically has more oil so there is "less" friction. It would certainly not ever be bad for anything.

evolution03 03-31-2013 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 11992917)
Break in fuel typically has more oil so there is "less" friction. It would certainly not ever be bad for anything.

Look at their site it say it speeds up break-in so their has to be something else to the fuel. There has to be something in the fuel to help speed up the process. I think it says something like it has higher ash content castor ? Will this effect the bearings in the long run ? I'm all for faster break in but I dont want to sacrifice the longevity of anything.

Jaz240 03-31-2013 10:07 AM

I don't know if I would trust that. Not sure how a fuel would speed up the break in process but it can't be good for your engine. There are a few ways you can cheat the process but everyone I know of that has tried it has severely decreased the life of the engine. If you don't have the time to do it right yourself send it out to someone who offers break in service.

evolution03 03-31-2013 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 11993142)
I don't know if I would trust that. Not sure how a fuel would speed up the break in process but it can't be good for your engine. There are a few ways you can cheat the process but everyone I know of that has tried it has severely decreased the life of the engine. If you don't have the time to do it right yourself send it out to someone who offers break in service.

So im guessing you read the description on the site. I wish the bones brew guy would come in here and elaborate. I could always find time to break one in just would be nice if it didnt take so much fuel.

bonesbs 03-31-2013 10:38 AM

The Break-in Fuel was designed for 1 thing in mind which is to speed up the break-in process so that you didn't have to run 1-2 gallons of race fuel for it to break-in, as not meant to be used as a race fuel. This formula does have a higher ash content and with the 50+ engines that it has been used during break-in we have not seen any extra wear on bearings with normal engine life that you would typically see with some of the first engines now in the 7-9 gallon range.

evolution03 03-31-2013 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by bonesbs (Post 11993232)
The Break-in Fuel was designed for 1 thing in mind which is to speed up the break-in process so that you didn't have to run 1-2 gallons of race fuel for it to break-in, as not meant to be used as a race fuel. This formula does have a higher ash content and with the 50+ engines that it has been used during break-in we have not seen any extra wear on bearings with normal engine life that you would typically see with some of the first engines now in the 7-9 gallon range.

ok thank you for clarifying

Jaz240 03-31-2013 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by bonesbs (Post 11993232)

Can you explain how it speeds up the break in process?

Rsickles 03-31-2013 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 11993357)
Can you explain how it speeds up the break in process?

I'm also curious. On the website it says blend of oils to create lapping effect... so I assume there's a microabrasion lapping oil additive? In which case I'd be more worried about my rod bushings/crank pin/piston pin, than the bearings... considering it's a brass bushing versus aluminum piston.

JFuel11 03-31-2013 03:26 PM

Great Fuel!

I used Bones Brew fuel last year for outdoor season. I can say I really like how great the fuel burns and the lube package is tops.

I will say that Brent knows his fuel!

The thing I was most impressed with is the protection it provides the engine for the performance. I had an engine that was pulled out mid season last year and boxed up. I just pulled it out to go through and the engine's internals looked like I had just ran ARO through them. I was very impressed!

I had Brent break in my new Clocked P5 with his new break in fuel. Nothing like having and engine 90% ready to go in just a few tanks!

Thanks Bones!

Jaz240 03-31-2013 04:32 PM

It does sound great, that's why I would like to know how it works. If someone found a way to save a gallon of break in time and effort that is also actually safe for our micro motors I'm all for it but I'm just not ready to drink the kool aide unless I can hear how it works and decide for myself if its something I want in my engine.

kgombe 03-31-2013 04:49 PM

if there is fuel out there that tells me i cant run more than a quart through because i will have pre-mature failure.... i will pass on that..

maybe its just me...

JFuel11 03-31-2013 06:11 PM

Not too worried...

I am confident in his break-in fuel. Back in the brushed motor days we ran our motors under water to break them in... Yes if we ran then under water all day they would wear out very quickly... Same concept really. I also purchase my motors from Bones and he is as straight as they come. I would say lets not be negative about a product until there is an actual reason to be...

motox450 03-31-2013 07:14 PM

Guys I have know Brent for three years and have ran his fuel for the last two years. I can tell you that the fuel is super consitent batch to batch and I have NEVER had an engine issue running Bones Brew. I however can't say the same for other fuels. Brent isn't going to give the inner details of his break in fuel....Why one would ask...business! If he posts here how it is made then everyone can and would do it. Bottom line is I know I have bought two new engines from Bones here two weeks ago. They were broke in with the new break in fuel. I have the utmost confidence in Brent that these will last as long as the other two motors that have been on bones brew. One has 9 gallons on it with one pinch and a rod for good measure the other 5 gallons and running strong.

bonesbs 04-01-2013 09:01 AM

I'm sure there are many people wondering about this break-in formula, but all I will say is only the crown of the piston and sleeve are affected by the break-in formula and it looks like it has been hand lapped and polished with a nice seal.