Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
low speed needle question. need some opinions >

low speed needle question. need some opinions

low speed needle question. need some opinions

Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default low speed needle question. need some opinions

hey everyone, i recently got a new mgt 8.0. the factory suggested setting for the lsp is 5 1/2 turns but it seems to run best and at good temps at 7 1/2 turns out. It pulls great wheelies and shoots out from a stop like a bat out of hell so it can't be to rich. It just seems like 2 full turns seems like a lot past the factory settings. Can this be ok? I read the tuning bible and it does not seem like the lsp is keeping the rpms down from having the carb to open.
thanks
ben
Old 01-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by benbishop98 View Post
hey everyone, i recently got a new mgt 8.0. the factory suggested setting for the lsp is 5 1/2 turns but it seems to run best and at good temps at 7 1/2 turns out. It pulls great wheelies and shoots out from a stop like a bat out of hell so it can't be to rich. It just seems like 2 full turns seems like a lot past the factory settings. Can this be ok? I read the tuning bible and it does not seem like the lsp is keeping the rpms down from having the carb to open.
thanks
ben
did u happen to lean the pis out of the high speed needle (hsn)?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

not at all. the suggested setting is 3 turns out and i have it set at 3 1/2. lots of smoke and smooth operation at full throttle. temps have been good too.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Sounds like you got it handled Ben

if u r happy with the way it runs then its good
Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Tech Adept

thanks for the input. it just seemed like 2 full turns past factory seemed like a lot when i thought you were supposed to lean both needles after break in.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

normally you would. Is your idle gap pretty far open?
Old 01-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

thanks for the input. it just seemed like 2 full turns past factory seemed like a lot when i thought you were supposed to lean both needles after break in.
Maybe its not broke in yet? Air temp plays a factor in your settings to. If its cold out, you'll have to richen needles.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

as far as the idle setting the opening is very small. and it has been pretty cold. yesterday it was mid 40's. i guess i'm not sure if it fully broken in yet either. i am still fairly new at this stuff. the engine has "cleaned out" a couple times. in the instruction book it says that cleaning out is a good characteristic of broken in engine.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

as far as the idle setting the opening is very small. and it has been pretty cold. yesterday it was mid 40's. i guess i'm not sure if it fully broken in yet either. i am still fairly new at this stuff. the engine has "cleaned out" a couple times. in the instruction book it says that cleaning out is a good characteristic of broken in engine.
If its running good with good smoke, your golden! Mid 40's would explain the richer settings along with being a newer engine.