AEG21 Race - $59

Old 01-28-2013, 04:08 AM
Tech Lord

Why the urge to have a pinch if you do not know if the engine really need it? So far known more engines have thee same low pinch so it seems well choosen.

A lot of .15/.18 RTR engines also have no or less pinch and do run fine. The cold situation does not tell a thing about how it is on operating temperature.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

these are Go based engines with a cast piston...they need to be tight to function correctly.......or at least to function correctly for any length of time, I would send them to be pinched.....loose engines are no good !
Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

My mentor has spoken :-)

Last edited by Neesh; 01-28-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

OK the CHAMP has calmed down now. :-)
I appoligize for my earlier statement as I am not usually a hot head. Words can sometimes be mis interpreted on the internet, just like texting. So Wombat, I appoligize to you bro.
I really didnt mean to start a debate whether an engine should be pinched or not. Just simply stating my findings and my plans for this mill as no one got theirs at the time and wanted to let everyone know. Take it with a grain of salt and do what you all want with it. Its a 60 dollar engine, what more can we expect?
Some may want to run it as their primary engine, some may want to experiment with cutting, and some just curious.......it really doesnt matter as its a decent engine at unheard of pricing.
Anyway, would like to hear from others who got theirs in.
PEACE
Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neesh
I appoligize for my earlier statement as I am not usually a hot head. Words can sometimes be mis interpreted on the internet, just like texting. So Wombat, I appoligize to you bro.
I really didnt mean to start a debate whether an engine should be pinched or not. Just simply stating my findings and my plans for this mill as no one got theirs at the time and wanted to let everyone know. Take it with a grain of salt and do what you all want with it. Its a 60 dollar engine, what more can we expect?
Some may want to run it as their primary engine, some may want to experiment with cutting, and some just curious.......it really doesnt matter as its a decent engine at unheard of pricing.
PEACE
i dont have mine yet but after reading your post im sending it in for a pinch not sure who to send it to though but i think it at least needs to be tight to start out with and who knows maybe i'll get 6-7 gallons out of it even 2 would be awesome for the price. course after a pinch i doubt the bearings are going to last. but lol
Old 01-28-2013, 01:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Havent got mine yet either but no plans on doing a pinch....it's a $59 engine for crying out loud

A little dremel work after a few base line tank runs and then leat her eat! That's why I bought an extra p/s/r....
Old 01-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dooug1960
i dont have mine yet but after reading your post im sending it in for a pinch not sure who to send it to though but i think it at least needs to be tight to start out with and who knows maybe i'll get 6-7 gallons out of it even 2 would be awesome for the price. course after a pinch i doubt the bearings are going to last. but lol
Rex or Ray, Have used both and they come out awesome.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hookem34
That's why I bought an extra p/s/r....
Hopefully you don't get the short stroke P/S/R in the photo that wouldn't work.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

even with getting a pinch and shipping its still under $80 for an engine. im not expecting a rocket and i wont feel to bad blowing this sucker up.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

PEACE
No need worry let it blast buddy.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Got mine today. It has mechanical pinch and hope to break in soon.
Then get some run time and let it EAT!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:27 AM
Tech Elite

Wow, you got lucky Honu. Seems like it'll be hit or miss on this one.
Thanks for posting your findings. Now let her eat!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Honu
Got mine today. It has mechanical pinch and hope to break in soon.
Then get some run time and let it EAT!
Wow your lucky. Shan and I weren't
Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Now the Alturn is a totally different story for the price......nice mill for what Rex sells them for.
Thanks Shannon, I have some more Alturn on the way. I am also looking at getting a similar motor to this long stroke motor. Mine I will be ordering them with Dlc crank, Skf bearings and the 3 needle carb. Modded it could be under $150.00!

Rex
Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Got mine Saturday. Free spun the crank with just my fingers and no flywheel even after put a brand new p4 plug in it.

Opened her up right away, and decided to fill the crank with RTV 118 self leveling silicone.

Let her cure for a couple of days. In the meantime, I played around and stuck in a DLC coated Ninja crank. Spun smoothly, but did not start it. Chickened out.

Re-assembled the whole thing this afternoon. Heated the head to 180 degrees using my 110v competition heat warmer. Primed the motor and bumped it on the box. Figured the 4S lipo would either start it or blow it up.

Fired right up, heat cycled it for 2 full tanks, pulled heater off when temp approached 250 degrees and put it back on (unplugged) when it got to 205. I ran a 3rd at no more than 1/2 throttle. Good smoke and great idle.

Removed the engine for a disassemble to check the crank fill, and found that the engine now had much more resistance than before, but could not really feel a mechanical pinch. Figured my silicone may have failed.

Removed glow plug, and felt a tiny bit of mechanical. Disassembled the engine, and found all was good on the crank fill.

Lucky 7ed the HS needle, the carb body, and rear backplate. Re-Installed the glow plug, and clutch assembly.

Tried to turn the fly wheel and actually felt compression. To that I say- whaaatttt? Could this thing have actually expanded? Hmmmm.... I need help with this one. I have to say I would have had to experience it myself to actually believe it, as it is completely opposite to anything I've ever felt during a break in.

Removed clutch, and could not turn it over by hand with glow plug installed, even though I was able to do it easily before I started it the first time.

I would say that I'm still not sold that this engine can accept any abuse, or wouldn't do better with a tight pinch to begin with, but I can tell that the con-rod must still be virgin, and I won't spend any more time babying the thing. Race tune and some hot laps at the track are my next steps.

For me, it's fun to tinker, but I will always go with name brand when it comes to racing. I have too much invested in my stuff to leave it up to an unproven engine.

Hopes this helps anyone who was wondering what these engines are doing out of the box. If nothing else, they would be good for anyone looking to keep their RTRs going for a few more tanks until they meet the curb or pole of death.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.