Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
PLEASE HELP - SYNTHETIC OIL OR CASTOR OIL >

PLEASE HELP - SYNTHETIC OIL OR CASTOR OIL

PLEASE HELP - SYNTHETIC OIL OR CASTOR OIL

Reply

Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 AM
  #91  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (11)
 
Maximo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,901
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

i am more into low oil content then high... I find high oil content fuels usually need to be run quite lean to get them to run crisply... whereas the low oil fuels run very crisp on even a rich setting......... I also see high oil fuels are far more prone to detonation...which means I can`t run as tight and efficient combustion chamber.... I am more from the camp of using a low quantity of high grade oil... I do not like high oil fuels one bit.....
Maximo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:37 AM
  #92  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (24)
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13,004
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
i am more into low oil content then high... I find high oil content fuels usually need to be run quite lean to get them to run crisply... whereas the low oil fuels run very crisp on even a rich setting......... I also see high oil fuels are far more prone to detonation...which means I can`t run as tight and efficient combustion chamber.... I am more from the camp of using a low quantity of high grade oil... I do not like high oil fuels one bit.....
I agree up to a point. Anything less than 8% can get tricky and then only if it is all or nearly all castor. 9 to 10 seems to be the sweet spot for my onroad engines. Offroad I could use less but why bother? I have seen as little as 4%. I also saw that motor go from leading a WC to slow as hell half way through an hour main
wingracer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:44 AM
  #93  
Tech Elite
 
blis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,479
Default

Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I should have been more clear LOL

the engine pictured is still quite new ! that is why it is so clean...however even our season old engines show no rust..... and I do make a point of leaving unburnt fuel in my engines....


Humidity is high here during the summer...........50-60% is quite common
It's 86% humid here at the moment, 26c 12:38am. we call it a "stinker" and it's common all year round! I see a lot of rust, just leaving a kit without using INOX plus on all the screws and they go rusty in a week. Yet down in Melbourne Victoria, where we race in Jan, it's hot and dry, my engines didnt oxidise as badly.
I assume with the high levels of water in the air, add to that heat as a catalyst and it's very difficult for me to add to this conversation as nothing beats pulling down the engine, cleaning and thoroughly oiling the individual parts.

That is all I can prove with a quantifiable amount of certainty.

PS: I did do a fuel test once but didnt record the oil content. Early days and if I recall the oil content was low and the shop that asked me to do it decided to move to 12% oil as certain engine manufacturers recommended that oil content. I dont think it was good and expect that bearing damage would be immanent! (Unless as Neil said, you ran VERY lean!)

http://www.beachmumsracing.org.au/news/fuel-testing/
blis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:56 AM
  #94  
Tech Elite
 
blis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,479
Default

Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Man, that link says 15% oil. That is a LOT. Good for longevity. I like more oil than most serious racers but that's a bit high even for me.
Not sure where you read that, the Platinum series doesnt really specify the oil mixture and I just checked the bottle downstairs as well. And no I tried the regular blend once, and that was enough!
blis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 AM
  #95  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (11)
 
Maximo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,901
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I agree up to a point. Anything less than 8% can get tricky and then only if it is all or nearly all castor. 9 to 10 seems to be the sweet spot for my onroad engines. Offroad I could use less but why bother? I have seen as little as 4%. I also saw that motor go from leading a WC to slow as hell half way through an hour main
I have done testing with fuel with under 5% oil and there was nothing tricky about it.... It tuned stupid easy and the engines showed some of the lowest wear I have seen... The needle settings were also quite forgiving, even rich the engine ran super crisp and made great power....... Tearing the engine down there was a massive amount of residue oil...If I didn't know the formula there is no way I would believe it had under 5% oil... However no matter what the oil content was it was one of the best running, best protecting fuels I have used ...
Maximo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 AM
  #96  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (24)
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13,004
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by blis View Post
Not sure where you read that, the Platinum series doesnt really specify the oil mixture and I just checked the bottle downstairs as well. And no I tried the regular blend once, and that was enough!
Ah, ok. I was looking at the standard car fuel. I can see why you didn't like it
wingracer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:14 AM
  #97  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (11)
 
Maximo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,901
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

I couldn't even imagine trying to tune a engine on 15% oil......... it would be terrible to deal with...engine would always sound blubbery and lazy unless you leaned the piss out of it...but then the temps would skyrocket and the engine would likely detonate...... IMO the higher the oil content , the narrower the tuning window..... better to have less of a high grade oil then more of a cheap oil............ by contrast the <5% fuel I tested was one of the easiest to tune fuels I have seen..... as crazy as it sounds but I would recommend a rookie run the low oil fuel much sooner then I would recommend the high oil fuel... why ? because the high oil fuel was very difficult to tune even for me, it would be a nightmare to tune for someone new....whereas the low oil fuel was extremely forgiving to tune and is quite happy to run cleanly with a rich mixture....... Now of course a low quantity of low quality oil is not the answer, that is just as useless as a high quantity of low grade oil... Anyways thats my story and I am sticking to it... !
Maximo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:14 AM
  #98  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (24)
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13,004
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I have done testing with fuel with under 5% oil and there was nothing tricky about it.... It tuned stupid easy and the engines showed some of the lowest wear I have seen... The needle settings were also quite forgiving, even rich the engine ran super crisp and made great power....... Tearing the engine down there was a massive amount of residue oil...If I didn't know the formula there is no way I would believe it had under 5% oil... However no matter what the oil content was it was one of the best running, best protecting fuels I have used ...
Man, that's pushing it. I could see 7, maybe even 6 working if it was all or very nearly all castor. I'm leery of it as I have had lubrication related failures on fuels with as much as 11%, though the problem with that one is that it had very little castor in it. You definitely are not going to get good life from synth oils at those low percentages, but I think you know that already.
wingracer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:22 AM
  #99  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (11)
 
Maximo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,901
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Man, that's pushing it. I could see 7, maybe even 6 working if it was all or very nearly all castor. I'm leery of it as I have had lubrication related failures on fuels with as much as 11%, though the problem with that one is that it had very little castor in it. You definitely are not going to get good life from synth oils at those low percentages, but I think you know that already.
no issues at all......blows yer mind eh !

And I can promise you very few people twist on their engines like I do.... so if a fuel can work for me, it will pretty much work for anyone....There are some fuels that I will destroy the crankpins in under 2 gallons, and their oil content is 9% and over...so once again I am a believer in low quantity of high grade oils, rather then a higher quantity of mediocre oils....tunes better and protects better with a much higher resistance to detonation....
Maximo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:28 AM
  #100  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (11)
 
Maximo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,901
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

I know it is crazy, but many rookies get recommended to run ultra high oil fuels in the belief that the extra oil will protect the engine... But the reality is this is probably the worst thing that can be done as the higher oil fuels run soo poorly and tune soo poorly that the rookie is more likely to cause engine damage just struggling to get the engine to run correctly...usually the only way to get them to clear out and run crisp is to lean the piss out of them.... If they don't run them lean the engine will always sound like it is 4 stroking..... IMO high oil content fuels are in many cases more damaging to engines then low oil fuels..... Unless you willing to run them around sputtering and spitting they are useless... Some of the most heavily detonated engines I ave seen are the ones running the high oil sport fuels....the high oil content makes the engines always seem overly rich, even when the air/fuel mixture is lean.....the oil contaminates the combustion process that much.... Anyways end rant ! LOL
Maximo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:33 AM
  #101  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (24)
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13,004
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

I don't disagree with you one bit on that. The only difference is where we draw the line. I may be leery of anything under 8% but I see no reason at all to run anything over 10%. If an 8% fuel isn't doing the job, it has crappy oil in it. Maybe you just have better oils than I do
wingracer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:04 AM
  #102  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Uhh

I'm not going to argue with an Expert, but I don't think anyone here said they use high oil fuel. The discussion was about castor oil versus synthetic.

Up until recently most car fuel has had higher oil content. In the 20 years I've been running nitro buggy I have not had engine trouble on higher oil fuels. Nor tuning issues or any of the issues you describe. In the last 3-4 years I run Byrons 25% 11% and in my area I am known for lasting engines, and most importantly finishing races. The guys with 7 and 9 percent fuels not so much. as for new racers i woud thing anything 12-14% would be perfect if not the race fuel, the ony issue is most lower nitro fuel that is more inexpensive and designed for rtr engines has slightly higer oil content. No big deal really. Seems a little blown out of proportion.
merdith6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 AM
  #103  
Tech Elite
 
blis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,479
Default

http://www.controlchat.com/castor-oil-vs-synthetic-oil/
blis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:48 AM
  #104  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (11)
 
Maximo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,901
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I don't disagree with you one bit on that. The only difference is where we draw the line. I may be leery of anything under 8% but I see no reason at all to run anything over 10%. If an 8% fuel isn't doing the job, it has crappy oil in it. Maybe you just have better oils than I do
I normally run a slightly higher % myself....but as I say I have seen the low oil work very well..... Also it was not my fuel or oil...I was just the supplier of the high RPM engines that it was being tested on !
Maximo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:35 AM
  #105  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 98
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
I'm not going to argue with an Expert, but I don't think anyone here said they use high oil fuel. The discussion was about castor oil versus synthetic.
+1000...
neophyte6 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service