Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Will there ever be rc engines that run on pump diesel or any 4 strokes in cars? >

Will there ever be rc engines that run on pump diesel or any 4 strokes in cars?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will there ever be rc engines that run on pump diesel or any 4 strokes in cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Will there ever be rc engines that run on pump diesel or any 4 strokes in cars?

My friend brought this up to me and I couldn't answer it and I want to know what all you guys think. Will there ever be an rc engine that runs on actual pump diesel? Will there ever be 4 stroke engines in rc cars that have enough gears to make them as fast as 2 strokes? I wonder if a 4-stroke engine can be force air inducted with a turbo charger or supercharger and have at least 4-6 gears so they could be fast. Will any of this eventually happen?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

In the late 80s/early 90s, there was a company regularly advertising in R/C Car Action, which sold a diesel conversion kit for certan engine types.
So the answer to your question is yes. There has already been a R/C engine which ran on regular pump diesel.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Tech Adept

There are Alot of issues ot overcome. Pump diesel can't produce the same power as intro and ethonal. turbo charges produce allot of heat and the mixture needs to be variable, also a cooling device would need to be added just for the turbo itself.. This also means the use of an ecu and.air measuring system would need to be implemented. All this would cost a ton of money. But after Alot of r and d it could be done. Multiple speed transmission. A few companies have done that... Just some with success and others not so much.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Nope, you would need a much bigger diesel engine to make the same power as a nitro engine. For example, a corvette z06 that made the same amount of power per cc as a nitro engine would be making over 8000hp, they only make 505hp on gasoline and would make even less with diesel.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:12 AM
Tech Lord

Please use the search, there are plenty of topics to find about 4-stroke telling about the theory and the builds. (also rotary engines)

For diesel, go to: http://www.davisdieseldevelopment.com/

And if you take a search on youtube you will find the movies.