Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Life expectancy of a nitro motor? >

Life expectancy of a nitro motor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Life expectancy of a nitro motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default Life expectancy of a nitro motor?

I was just wondering how many gallons you can run through a nitro engine before it is shot?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

All nitro engines last exactly 8.34912 gallons, and then they die.

Just kidding.. Way too many variables..
Old 10-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I had 4 gallons on a ofna motor that was running fine when i sold it , and I had 2 gallons on a tamiya motor that was on its way out .
Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Herrsavage

Spot on !!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Tech Champion

I get exactly 8.4 gallons on mine. I'm a little better than average tuner here. I guess?

Seriously though. 10 gallons is the goal as long as they don't get wrecked due to crashes/impacts/hole in fuel tank/etc. etc.

Anything beyond 10g is bonus.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Some motors last longer then others but the last few year's have been great for us the consumer. So many options this has caused each manufacturer to up there game in quality and performance. Fuel makes a difference and how you treat her is directly linked to longevity. 10 gallons is my goal which I've been getting on OS branded mills .I'm still new with Nova's but it looks promising.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage

Lol I am totally SOL I have not been keeping that close of track. JK

I appreciate the feedback, I know there are a lot of factors into longevity but was wanting to make sure I go ahead and purchase a new motor when it comes up to that time or average expected time. Thank you for the feedback!
Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

If you run your engine to its full capacity of power output it will not last much longer than 4-5 gallons and be completely reliable

Of course this is if you do not preheat , you lean engine for maximum power output and mileage and do not have any preventitive maintenance done

Last edited by houston; 10-10-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default My opinion

In my experience with Nova engines I run them hard but with respect. I take them apart and clean them. Preheat etc. and I almost always get about 5-6 gallons before a resize is needed and the other parts last much longer. Bearings and the crank last for a long time. I may change a rod at 5-6 gallons when It gets resized. Eventually the crank pin wears at about 10 gallons and the second resize is done. crank is done and the engine is done.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Engine life has much to do with maintenance....I run the hell out of my engines and I get a great lifespan from them...I run higher RPM then most and have no issues running a core for 20 gallons of fuel......We are still running our very first Bonito with 2 full seasons on it ..... New bearings/rod and repinch but the engine has logged no less then 15 gallons of total abuse at the hands of Johnny.....The crank is currently showing 0.001"wear and has plenty of life left in it..... I have replaced the rod twice and the bearings once and done 1 repinch........right now at the end of the season the engine is still tight from the last pinch and has more life before needing a new pinch..........

I use Werks fuel.......we run the engine 3 days/week, it hits 40 000 RPM every single lap and has been rock solid reliable from day one....And based on the wear on the crankpin we have only consumed 25% of the cranks lifespan......this is over 2 full seasons of running......

If you keep the engine clean, replace or repair the wearable parts as they wear you can get a very long lifespan from a engine, even if you run the living hell out of it....From working on thousands of engines over the years I can say the #1 killer is lack of maintenance....Engines allowed to run dirty and sloppy just end up dying a fast death.......... Of course the harder you runt he engine, the faster the wearable parts will wear... As well he dirtier the conditions you run in, the more dirt your engine is going to ingest and the more cautious and aware of the dirt you have to be.........Over the years I have seen hundreds upon hundreds of engines destroyed due to ingesting dirt........ thru the carb and thru the front bearing........
Old 10-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I have personally found to avoid running your engine completely out of fuel and it will increase the life of the engine.
Werks fuel a++
Old 10-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mo Denton
I have personally found to avoid running your engine completely out of fuel and it will increase the life of the engine.
Werks fuel a++
Absolutely
Old 10-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Not to change the subject so what is the best way to store a engine after a race. I normally would empty the tank of any left over fuel and then start it to run the rest out. If you are not running it out of fuel how are you getting rid of the excess? Thanks.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoeC
Not to change the subject so what is the best way to store a engine after a race. I normally would empty the tank of any left over fuel and then start it to run the rest out. If you are not running it out of fuel how are you getting rid of the excess? Thanks.
A lot depends where you keep your vehicles and what fuel you run. My personal experience is with byrons and I keep my vehicles in my heated/ac basement. I never have run them out of fuel for storage or used after run oil and never have seen a spot of rust even after 2 years of sitting. Now if you keep your vehicles in your garage or trailer and live in a humid place you have a greater chance of rust and need to take better steps prevent it.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Run fuel with 11% lubrication at least will give your engine more life...........maybe 12 gallons or more.....with correct maintainance.

The pro running 9% or less significantly gives out more power.....but cut down on your motor life. But that given the Pro are running almost brand new motor every 2 race.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.