Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Life expectancy of a nitro motor? >

Life expectancy of a nitro motor?

Life expectancy of a nitro motor?

Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Originally Posted by JoeC
Not to change the subject so what is the best way to store a engine after a race. I normally would empty the tank of any left over fuel and then start it to run the rest out. If you are not running it out of fuel how are you getting rid of the excess? Thanks.
I usually run it out of fuel maybe I should stop doing that

If I stop running and still have gas in the tank, if i'm gonna run the car the next day, I keep it in, but if I'm storing the car, I empty it and disconnect fuel lines...

Last edited by rcuser567345; 10-10-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:47 AM
Tech Master

I don't know if it's just my imagination, but it seems to me like the cheaper engines have softer cylinder linings or something else which I can't explain, they seem to wear out faster than the cylinder linings on the more expensive models, which seem to retain compression for about twice as many gallons as the cheaper ones.
That includes cheap v expensive within the same manufacturer, not saying it's always like that, but in some cases.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:01 AM
Tech Champion

I disagree.. My cheap LRP basher engines last 8-10 gallons no problem.. No rod or bearing changes, nothing.. I think people who spend big on engines want to feel that they will last longer.. Not true though IMO.. Lot of people paid big for Toro Neros for ex.... How an engine is treated is far more relevant to how long it will live than its price tag..
Old 10-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I disagree.. My cheap LRP basher engines last 8-10 gallons no problem.. No rod or bearing changes, nothing.. I think people who spend big on engines want to feel that they will last longer.. Not true though IMO.. Lot of people paid big for Toro Neros for ex.... How an engine is treated is far more relevant to how long it will live than its price tag..
Really are you saying every manufacture uses the same material make up between their pistons, rods and cranks.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Tech Adept

One thing that i do ti help increase lifetime of the engine is to run my first lap after start at a slow pace. This helps Alot.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

If your looking for longevity buy a COMP heater
Old 10-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
If your looking for longevity buy a COMP heater
Absolutely true
Old 10-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Originally Posted by Eivind E
I don't know if it's just my imagination, but it seems to me like the cheaper engines have softer cylinder linings or something else which I can't explain, they seem to wear out faster than the cylinder linings on the more expensive models, which seem to retain compression for about twice as many gallons as the cheaper ones.
That includes cheap v expensive within the same manufacturer, not saying it's always like that, but in some cases.
Maybe because most guys who buy basher/cheaper engines don't have enough experience in nitro to know not to let the engine run 300 degrees or how to tune right and maintain their vehicle well enough, so the engine's lifetime is much shorter. JMO
Old 10-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Tech Regular

I think fuel and tuning can make any engine last for 10+ gallons.
The K5.9 in my Savage XL has seen more abuse than you can think of and it lasted 12+ gallons, rear bearing is loose during gallon #13 and never been pinched or had parts replaced.
I'm sure a couple bearings would get another gallon or 2 at least out of it, with the Byrons fuel it lived most of it's life with, IMO the OD Speed blend with low oil was it's demise.
My AE/TT .50/8.0 brg's took a crap at 4 gallons running the OD Speed blend too...
Old 10-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking Nitro Engine

OK. I have one for you.

I can't explain it. I don't know how it's possible.

I have a neighbor who's grandson I helped purchase a nitro buggy about 3 years ago. This buggy was raced 1 tiime. This engine was basically broken in according to a standard racers break in and not what the book states when you buy a ready to run. I told the kid to always put after run oil in it whenever he was done with it and to always keep the engine and air cleaner clean. Especially before he runs the car. (Clean air filter)

Today, the ready to run has about 12 gallons on the same engine. Then engine has been opened 1 time to replace I think the pull cord on it. That's all.

This buggy was driven into a cury by his cousin (go figure, his cousin did this
because his parents would not buy him one) Anyway... 12 gallons. Go figure..
Old 10-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I like to see 8 strong gallons out of a mill. Personally once they hit 8 I swap them out. Guess I'm a little under the 8.349 avg.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Based on my experiences with nova mills, I would expect every nova engine to last between 5-8 gallons before a p/s resize is needed. This is with the engine operating lean for max runtime and consistent power on Byron's 30/11 mix. And this is assuming the engine has received proper maintenance.

Crank should last twice what p/s/r does.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mo Denton
I have personally found to avoid running your engine completely out of fuel and it will increase the life of the engine.
Werks fuel a++
This is a myth. You can run the engine out of fuel at max rpm, when you open it up, everything is wet with oil unless you're running a 6% oil race only mix or something unconventional. You have to run all of the alcohol out of an engine to prevent storage rust.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
This is a myth. You can run the engine out of fuel at max rpm, when you open it up, everything is wet with oil unless you're running a 6% oil race only mix or something unconventional. You have to run all of the alcohol out of an engine to prevent storage rust.
Hmm, interesting. Pictured below is a crank that is 8gallons old. Not one spec of rust and it has never been cleaned. Never ran engine out of fuel prior to storage in climate controlled conditions. Just capped off nipple on carb, pipe, and stinger on pipe. Byron's 30/11. This crank has seen two storage times exceeding 3 weeks, both of which RB ARO was used at only those times. Storage conditions and fuel type are key.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i would not run a engine out of fuel at full RPM.... I have seen this damage glowplugs which led to engine damage.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.