Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Nova Bonito AND OS Speed (Not Another VS war) >

Nova Bonito AND OS Speed (Not Another VS war)

Nova Bonito AND OS Speed (Not Another VS war)

Old 09-26-2012, 03:45 AM
Tech Adept

Default Nova Bonito AND OS Speed (Not Another VS war)

Hi all,
I would like to state that I am not starting a war here, I like both engine, both are awesome but I need some suggestion to decide on my next engine...Period...

I am running OS XZB blue head and a couple of BTT on my fleet now, IMO both have their own plus and minus. IMO The OS is super easy to do anything, super easy to break in, super easy to tune, have A LOT more power both bottom and top than BTT, but it is just not nearly as durable as BTT, I can see performance decrease on each weekend long trackday after a full rebuild and break in, and it flames out easily on 30min plus mains on very hot day 100+ 50-80% humidity, no problem on short heat, but long mains really show where it lacks....On the other hand, BTT is finicky to tune but once I get the hang of it it actually became easier than OS to tune and start, very very durable, able to idle all day without stalling, never flame out on long mains and can withstand high heat so much better than OS.....BUT...A BIG BUT...It just lacking power both on bottom and top, I have invested in 41020/41021 manifold and 9886, 2096, 9886 pipes, MANY different venturies still no combo on BTT can even touch the tail of my ceramic bearing upgraded OS XZB blue head with 2060 on stock yellow venturi.....

CRE modified engine is out of question on this side of the world, after shipping and tax that BTT CRE engine would cost me an arm and a leg.

I am tired of chasing power on my BTT and I have invested enough on this engine. I can sell my BTT easily in a day and the local dealer is having a crazy sale on all nova engine and I can get brand new Bonito XLBS with pipe combo of my choice for extra $100 after selling my BTT. However, for about $100 more on top of Bonito I can get OS Speed black head with 2090 pipe combo...

I am torn between the two because I like both brand very much. I am actually leaning towards Bonito because in general Nova is so much more reliable based on my experience, but I am afraid I will be chasing more power like I did with my BTT compared to my XZB blue head.

If a stock Bonito will be quicker than blue head XZB and a tad slower than OS Speed, I would still go with Bonito, but if a Bonito will still be slower than a Blue head XZB, I would go with OS Speed and get ready to deal with shorter lifespan and stock up on piston/sleeve.

I need opinion of those who had run both and not a biased opinion, as I stated before I like both brand very much, have run both brands and torn between the two....

Thank you very much folks.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Default Choice

I have both .
The Bonito is every bit as fast as the speed but the pipe ,header choice has to be right.
I have not noticed the Os speeds not lasting as they seem to run forever with no compression .
I trust a Speed in a 30 minute main above all others.

I wouldn't look past the ninja either as it's made by OS and has the coated crank.

You have it narrowed down to a couple very good choices IMO.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

O.S all the way is my call.
I have had them all BTT,Bonito,both where moded
have had moded speeds and stock ones blue heads stock and moded.

IMO I would go with a stock speed EZ to tune and they last as long as any thing out there I run mine around 240/270 get good run times 10min. buggy and truggy most the time. have tried most motors out there and I always come back to a STOCK speed.
I can not stress the stock part to much!!

and you may look at a "JQ the engine"
from what I here it's and old speed and I like them the best in a buggy
good luck
Old 09-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

More then anything the biggest advantage I see with OS is their glowplugs are extremely hot while being quite stable , which makes their engines very forgiving to tune with a very strong cold idle..a P3/P4 will idle with a crazy rich needle setting and not miss a beat......... traditionally people will run the Italian engines with much cooler glowplugs..Which does then narrow the tuning window and makes the engine less forgiving to tune and of course more prone to stalling if the tune is incorrect..cold plugs do not have as strong of a cold idle characteristic....Tuning in a cold plug to be stable does require more skill, and unfortunately not everyone has the ear/patience/experience to do it......The advantage of a cold plug is that in the right hands it can be tuned to have extremely good fuel mileage and response....the downside is its requires more skill to tune stable........... A hot plug cant quite run as lean of a mixture safely, but it does definitely provide much more stability and a wider tuning window.... OS was smart designing their engines around such a hot glowplug.... Anyways thats my story and I am sticking to it !
Old 09-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

I have a modded Bonito and have owned a few speeds. I have no clue regarding performace related to a stock bonito but if were talking about stock then a OS speed is a great engine.

They are smooth, very powerful and they tune like a dream. They also last but I have found between a few speeds Ive owned Hara included (XZB) they loose compression quick (Some) but thats a easy fix. Nova is a solid mill also they last but cannot comment on how it runs "Stock"
Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

IMHO, both the bonito and the xzb speed are both great engines. Like Niel Said it depends on your tuning skills. I can never fine tune a nova. I can see nova guys here tune thier engine during the morning and tune it again in the afternoon when it gets colder. The XZB speed, I tune it in the morning and if it runs great, I let it be. It holds it tune in the afternoon even if it gets colder. I am not a good tuner but for some reason I know when an os engine is tuned right just by the sound of it.

I think the bonito brings more power than the speed. Usable for a truggy but can be a handful in a buggy. I run the speed in my buggy. However OS engines looses it pinch easily but it doesnt mean that it wont run good anymore, it just the way they are.

I like an engine which is forgiving in tuning so I like the speed. Also as suggested check out the JQ the Car Engines. It was based on the older speed which to me is much more suited for buggy. The XZB speed is just a monster with a 2058 pipe or a 2090.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Tech Adept

try Alpha 3 port or Ryan Lutz ed
Old 09-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oggietiu View Post
IMHO, both the bonito and the xzb speed are both great engines. Like Niel Said it depends on your tuning skills. I can never fine tune a nova. I can see nova guys here tune thier engine during the morning and tune it again in the afternoon when it gets colder. The XZB speed, I tune it in the morning and if it runs great, I let it be. It holds it tune in the afternoon even if it gets colder. I am not a good tuner but for some reason I know when an os engine is tuned right just by the sound of it.

I think the bonito brings more power than the speed. Usable for a truggy but can be a handful in a buggy. I run the speed in my buggy. However OS engines looses it pinch easily but it doesnt mean that it wont run good anymore, it just the way they are.

I like an engine which is forgiving in tuning so I like the speed. Also as suggested check out the JQ the Car Engines. It was based on the older speed which to me is much more suited for buggy. The XZB speed is just a monster with a 2058 pipe or a 2090.

I rarely tune my Nova's....we will often run for weeks without so much as touching the needles once............. I actually think messing with the needles is what gets people in trouble with the Nova's...they are too quick to monkey with the tune and not give the engine proper time to warm up...seems like Nova's will nearly take a full tank of hard running to stabilize..often times guys start trying to tune a cold engine and that results in issues.............. Up here we just run them, rarely if ever do we tune on them........ And I even run cold plugs............its really not rocket science, just a little patience and some common sense.........
Old 09-27-2012, 01:53 AM
Tech Adept

Like I said, I have no problem tuning a Nova and I do not have stalling or any issue with my nova BTT, I just found the stock BTT to be lacking in guts and I cannot stress enough the word "stock"...therefore my consideration on Bonito or Speed.....

I never own OS speed but I was referring to blue head xzb when I mentioned about quick performance decline, not OS speed black head. Yes I have a club mate who own a hara OS Speed, and I have witnessed even with no pinch on His Hara Speed that went through 6 races already (flywheel turning easily even when cold) He whopped my relatively new blue XZB easily on straight.... Well, maybe this validate you folks comment about OS Speed long life.....

Damn....Still confused.... Speed or Bonito .... I was leaning towards Bonito but after you guys commented I think it was all made sense and start leaning back to OS again... I am not an undecided person, I make decision quick, even sometimes too quick, ask my wife :LOL: but I am torn between the two right now.. I will not and can not consider any other engine due to part availability, these two brands are the only brands that sells here, going with other brand means no spare part on store when I need it...

Baseline is, let's assume I can tune Nova Bonito no problem and tune OS Speed with my eyes closed and hands tied to my bum, which one should I pick?? I know this is a boring question and I am lucky not getting slapped by you folks, but I really am confused right now...Sorry....

For the note, I never fire any of my engine without pre heating with the awesome competition heat to AT LEAST 160F if I am in a hurry or 200F if I am not in a hurry...and I live in constant 75-100 environment, so cold engine is never a problem here.

Last edited by Uwiikz; 09-27-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I see lots of folks here running speeds in buggy with very good results. Very few bonitos are used in buggy though.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:28 AM
Tech Initiate

buy both.... see which one you like....
Old 09-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Buy the speed you will be very happy its a very high quality mean machine. I run Nova now there a great engine expecially after CRE does his magic but I still love OS and their speed something about the black.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 AM
Tech Adept

Neither. Try a new engine. Alpha, fusion x, or even a go engine.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Try a Picco 5TR 2012, perfect balance of smoothness and power.

A lot of people feel the same way as the Btt is a bit weak and the Os's ( not everyone) but a lot of guys are not getting good life out of them, Blue head crank pins are wearing prematurely and Both blue head and Speed version lose compression prematurely, again Not all, but I get them in all the time with this happening.

The Btt is too weak in my opinion, "stock"

The Picco 5TR 2012 is smooth yet very fast, we have a lot of guys that have run both engines OS,BTT and this is the feedback we get from everyone now running the Picco.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Hartw View Post
buy both.... see which one you like....
and I can sell my kids...LOL!!! Kidding aside, this is the best advice so far, I might do it if I manage to sell my mp9 for a decent price....can't spend too much on this hobby.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.