Stuck Flywheel

Old 09-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Stuck Flywheel

So I bought a used 8ight 2.0 from the local shop. I'm pretty good friends with them and they hooked me up with a good price from someone they know pretty well. My dad picks it up from the shop today b/c I'm out of town. I get home around midnight and can't wait to start it up. So, I take it on the porch, turn it on, put it on the bump box, then put the glow igniter on. But it over just to see if it turns over and it does. BUT, fuel goes everywhere from what looks like the carb. ( I'm pretty new to nitro. I had a 3.3 for about a week before I get this) So I try to bump it again and the flywheel jams up. I can turn it with a screwdriver but if I put it back on the bump then it jams again. What in the world is going on?? I'm sure I did things wrong but not wrong enough to break something right? My guess is my little brother messed with it before I got home. HELP!?
Old 09-19-2012, 04:42 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Heat it up with a heat gun to 200 degrees, get it unstuck with a screw driver and start the engine.

The engine still has pinch so you need to break it in more.

What do you mean fuel goes everywhere?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Fuel just came out of the carb. I'm taking it back to the shop today. They told me nothing was wrong with it when I paid for it.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

roffles
Old 09-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

-Heat it up for a half hour with a comp heater. Why were you trying to start a cold race engine?
-spin the engine opposite rotation until just before it gets tight
-use a real good glow igniter like the biggest hot shot igniter
-then bump it with the bump box.
-how can you see fuel coming out of the carb if you have the air filter on?

Rushing though RC in the middle of the night is allways a recipe for disaster.

Don't bother going back to the hobby shop, they most likely know nothing. Go to your local track on a practice day and ask around.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
-Heat it up for a half hour with a comp heater. Why were you trying to start a cold race engine?
-spin the engine opposite rotation until just before it gets tight
-use a real good glow igniter like the biggest hot shot igniter
-then bump it with the bump box.
-how can you see fuel coming out of the carb if you have the air filter on?

Rushing though RC in the middle of the night is allways a recipe for disaster.

Don't bother going back to the hobby shop, they most likely know nothing. Go to your local track on a practice day and ask around.
Took it to the shop and they fixed everything. Then started it up. They didn't sped 30 minutes heating up the engine, they just put it on the box, primed it, the bumped it right off. Secondly, I saw fuel coming out of the carb because the air filter doesn't cover up the intire carb. It just runs into the carb. The carb isn't inside the air filter. The local track is owned and ran by the same people who run the shop.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Originally Posted by figanator View Post
Took it to the shop and they fixed everything. Then started it up. They didn't sped 30 minutes heating up the engine, they just put it on the box, primed it, the bumped it right off. Secondly, I saw fuel coming out of the carb because the air filter doesn't cover up the intire carb. It just runs into the carb. The carb isn't inside the air filter. The local track is owned and ran by the same people who run the shop.
Better to heat it b4 starting.

Only takes 2 mins with a heat gun