R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Offroad Nitro Engine Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum-157/)
-   -   Which OS engine ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum/662125-os-engine.html)

mike80 09-14-2012 09:38 PM

Which OS engine ?

I am planning to buy a new OS engine, for my buggy.
I am between xz-b blue head and the hara edition speed.
Which one you recommend? Which one is more durable?
what is the differences between the 2.
I am reading that the hara speed is similar to the speed, is it true?

Frank L 09-14-2012 09:57 PM

Being the hara is 2x I don't understand the comparison.

The hara is softer on the bottom and screams higher on the top. You will also see more mileage with the hara. Personally I like the hara engine but it's a little soft on the bottom for some.

Btw where are you getting the hara from?

mike80 09-14-2012 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 11212384)

The hara is softer on the bottom and screams higher on the top. You will also see more mileage with the hara. Personally I like the hara engine but it's a little soft on the bottom for some.

I will get it from a hb distributor.
Which one is more durable ?
the blue head or the speed hara?

22Racer 09-14-2012 11:45 PM

I have heard the xz-b blue heads still have some crank wear issues.

Rex

mike80 09-15-2012 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 11212384)

Frank, thank you for your response.

I have heard the the hara speed edition in a very good engine but it is not as durable as the xz-b blue head or the xz-b speed is that true?
out of the three, which one you recommend ?

Frank L 09-15-2012 05:30 AM

I have no issues with the Haras that I run. I have one in my buggy now that has 3 gallons in it or so and it runs great and still has nice compression.

Rcrenew 09-15-2012 05:38 AM

The Blue head XZB still have crankshaft pins wearing out prematurely. If you get an OS get one with a DLC coated crank.

bigjayjay1 09-15-2012 09:40 AM

I would get the hara its a awesome mill it has great top end and a smooth bottom. It has power make are you run the right pipe

Zerodefect 09-17-2012 04:28 PM

Not everyone has had the crankpin problem.

I've only got 2 gallons on mine, I won't know about mine until the end of next season. I'll bet fuel and tune are part of the issue. Cold starting maybe as well. I heat up for a half hour with a comp heater before my heats. I've had great life from other engines by heating them up and running in the pits for a little while, then shutting down and carrying them to the stand warm just a few minutes before my run, and restarting.

OP, If you don't KNOW that you need a OS Speed, then you're throwing money away. Get the regular XZ-B, or if you want the DLC crank, get the OS/Ninja JX21 BO2. Just by asking "Do I need a Speed?", kinda means you likely don't need a Speed.

The Fusion engines are also something you might want to look at.

kgombe 09-17-2012 04:37 PM

just get the ninja B02.. best of both worlds.. good price and DLC crank.. and it out right screams

rcuser567345 09-17-2012 05:11 PM

Why not buy the best engine? Novarossi.

CKmaxx 09-17-2012 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by chopper82p (Post 11221945)

Why not keep your posts in the appropriate thread??

Zerodefect 09-18-2012 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by chopper82p (Post 11221945)

I might want to run a NR in the future. For now I'll stick with OS until I feel that I want to challenge myself again with an engine that's a pain to tune, uses crappy glow plugs, and takes forever to break in wasteing too much fuel.

Fusion Engines are NR based but come with better details. (3 port with a turbo head, ceramic bearings, etc.etc.) They also have a 7 port Bonito like engine that deosn't quite have the Bonito price tag.

Eivind E 09-18-2012 05:17 AM

Buy one that has a DLC crank.
Personally I've not tried the Ninja B02, but I still run my B01A occasionally, and it's been a great engine for me.

Maximo 09-18-2012 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Zerodefect (Post 11223695)
I might want to run a NR in the future. For now I'll stick with OS until I feel that I want to challenge myself again with an engine that's a pain to tune, uses crappy glow plugs, and takes forever to break in wasteing too much fuel.

Fusion Engines are NR based but come with better details. (3 port with a turbo head, ceramic bearings, etc.etc.) They also have a 7 port Bonito like engine that deosn't quite have the Bonito price tag.

Put a OS plug into a Nova........ works like a charm and makes engine tune much like a OS !!

Less money then a Bonito, but less performance then a Bonito too...so its all in perspective....

Novarossi have ceramic bearings and turbo heads too.......lol...except a 4 port not a 3 port....4 port is better than 3 port..which is why Nova dropped 3 port in favor of 4 port in their regular lineup........