Engine help

Old 08-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Engine help

Ok I have an os .25 with a jp-3 pipe and no matter how much you lean it out it is running super rich,Blowing fuel out the exhaust in all... Yesterday my buddy put a new clutch on it, in doing so lost a piece of fuel tubing in the engine so he ended up pulling the motor apart to find it... We found it in the exhaust pipe so that problem is solved...I don't know much about these engines so i couldn't tell you if he put it back together right but would imagine there is only one way to do it? Any ideas on why I cannot get it to lean out? Any help will be greatly appreciated... Thanks guys
Old 08-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Originally Posted by mx51 View Post
Ok I have an os .25 with a jp-3 pipe and no matter how much you lean it out it is running super rich,Blowing fuel out the exhaust in all... Yesterday my buddy put a new clutch on it, in doing so lost a piece of fuel tubing in the engine so he ended up pulling the motor apart to find it... We found it in the exhaust pipe so that problem is solved...I don't know much about these engines so i couldn't tell you if he put it back together right but would imagine there is only one way to do it? Any ideas on why I cannot get it to lean out? Any help will be greatly appreciated... Thanks guys
Are you leaning the LSN (on the carb slide) as well as the HSN (the brass housing)?
Old 08-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Yes I am I had it leaned out as much as 1/2 turn from being totally closed on the hsn and 1 turn from being totally closed on lsn and still wouldn't lean out still blowing fuel out the exhaust
Old 08-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (87%+)

a locol racer here is having the same problem with his, about 5 of us tried to get a tune on it for him with nothing but failure! called support and all they said is " they dont do that" LMAO!!!! my buddy asked if he could send it in and they could look at it and they where not interested. they said he must have did somthing to it, his engine is like new with less than 1 gallon on it! he has since switched brands not only because OS sucks!!! but also so does their support!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by alwayswin View Post
a locol racer here is having the same problem with his, about 5 of us tried to get a tune on it for him with nothing but failure! called support and all they said is " they dont do that" LMAO!!!! my buddy asked if he could send it in and they could look at it and they where not interested. they said he must have did somthing to it, his engine is like new with less than 1 gallon on it! he has since switched brands not only because OS sucks!!! but also so does their support!!!!!!!
That's good to know but sucks at the same time cuz I love this engine. I have never had a problem with it until we took it apart yesterday. I have anywhere from 2 1/2 to 4 gallons through it and never had 1 problem. If i was to switch brands what would be a good engine as far as easy to tune with good power as I'm going to be ordering a rc8t ce within the next couple weeks
Old 08-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

Your saying that fuel tubing (fuel line) went through the engine and ended up in the exhaust pipe? I don't see how such a thing would be possible.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
Your saying that fuel tubing (fuel line) went through the engine and ended up in the exhaust pipe? I don't see how such a thing would be possible.
Yes he took the head off and put fuel tubing in there to stop the piston so he could get the clutch off because the tool he had doesn't work for turbo heads and when he took the head back off one piece of the tubing was missing and found it in the exhaust pipe...
Old 08-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yes he took the head off and put fuel tubing in there to stop the piston so he could get the clutch off because the tool he had doesn't work for turbo heads and when he took the head back off one piece of the tubing was missing and found it in the exhaust pipe...
Bet the sleeve is not in correctly, pin not in notch.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Tim Garland View Post
Bet the sleeve is not in correctly, pin not in notch.
I'm the buddy that took the engine apart.

Here is everything that I noticed.
Last weekend his engine did not want to start and we had a hell of a time figuring it out. We changed out the glow plug but it still would not stay running (erratic idle and flame outs). It wasn't until the engine sat for a little did it start and ran great but did sound a little lean when he was balls out.

This Friday he brought the engine over so I could look at the clutch. The aluminum clutch shoes were toast and were beyond filing so I gave him another clutch to use. I noticed both the pipe couple gasket and the exhaust gasket to the engine were toast. He did not have a replacement so I tried to reuse what he had. I did not have the proper tool to stop the piston for a turbo head to loosen the clutch nut so I removed the head and placed two pieces of fuel tubing in the head to cushion the piston so I could get the nut off and one piece fell out of the exhaust port when I removed the head and went down the pipe. We found it so no problem. Did not pry on the piston from the exhaust port or anything stupid.

Before I found it I wanted to make sure it didn't get stuck in the other ports so I slid off the sleeve and removed the piston. Piston and sleeve looked fine but there was allot of carbon build up on the piston top and the button. Never seen that before on any of my engines and decided just to leave it alone. The piston also had a nice browning look on the sides and on the sleeve so the castor in the fuel he is using is working fine. Also there are no scratches or pit marks on the piston or sleeve and the connecting rod and bearings looked good as well. Wrist pin keepers are in place as well.

I put the sleeve back in and lined it up with the pin. Cleaned any dirt deposits off the head and button and tightened the screws lightly in a cross pattern and then did a final tightening cross pattern. Plug looked good and showed no signs of greying or lean condition.

I sealed up the back plate with copper sealant and cross tightened those bolts as well.

Today when at the track the engine would start but was very rich. It wouldn't stay running and would flame out. Could not get a tune on it no matter what. The engine would be rich and then lean way out like an air leak was present. We changed out the fuel lines, changed the glow plug....

We took the head off of the engine just to make sure I lined up the sleeve right and noticed the engine has hardly any pinch but with the head on it it does have plenty of compression.

We did get it to run for a bit but it would either lean out or just flame out with a big puff of smoke.

I think it is either his fuel,his exhaust gasket or the motor is worn out.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

What plug are you using. If its not a medium plug change it to a medium or medium hot.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Suspended

Everyone has said that the soft crank pin issue has been fixed, no it has not!!! same as the early v-spec! the same issues now as always with the xzb as the vzb. its a proven fact from many engine guys. a OS engine will last 2 gallons before a rod and or crank is needed (fact). mainly a throw away engine at a high cost! unless you want to spend the same amoumt for p/s/r for a OS as you can buy a complete better engine for!!! im not scared to tell my opinion here, i tell it how it is! i have been there and done that! im not a young dumb guy that does not know, im old....lol and have ran dam near every engine made! and OS is one of the worst for longectivity!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

os p3 for plug
Old 08-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Everyone has said that the soft crank pin issue has been fixed, no it has not!!! same as the early v-spec! the same issues now as always with the xzb as the vzb. its a proven fact from many engine guys. a OS engine will last 2 gallons before a rod and or crank is needed (fact). mainly a throw away engine at a high cost! unless you want to spend the same amoumt for p/s/r for a OS as you can buy a complete better engine for!!! im not scared to tell my opinion here, i tell it how it is! i have been there and done that! im not a young dumb guy that does not know, im old....lol and have ran dam near every engine made! and OS is one of the worst for longectivity!
The last OS I ran was back in 91 and was an .21RXB? or something like that. It was a great motor. Not sure how the newer ones are though but MX51 is a great bud and I want to figure this out for him.

Thanks for all the responces
Old 08-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

2 gallons is a fact, eh? Guess those of us who have gotten way beyond that were a joke.

I've got a new (blue head) XZ crank on my desk. Curious to see if this one will only 2 gallons as claimed.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by deserteagle View Post
The last OS I ran was back in 91 and was an .21RXB? or something like that. It was a great motor. Not sure how the newer ones are though but MX51 is a great bud and I want to figure this out for him.

Thanks for all the responces
I Believe that, that goes for pretty much anything, they dont make things like they use to! low quility more expensive! 20 years old....better quility!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.