Buggy Wont Start

Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Buggy Wont Start

Good Morning Guys,

I got a used Losi 810 and I have been unable to start it ever since I got it. I've replaced the glow plug, ensured my glow started is fully charged, reset needles to default, 2 1/2 out, but still just wont start at all. I know how to prime the engine by holding the tip with my finger and pulling a few times but it still won't start. Also the pull cord is hard to pull, if I take the glow plug out it's much easier and I can see the piston going up and down. I even tested my glow plug out of the engine and it absolutely glows just fine. When I'm pulling the cord to start it start easy the first 2-3 inc, then it's a hard bump for a few more inches then easy again, not too sure if that helps. I've checked to ensure my fuel isn't gummed up in the hose, and I can blow it through from the exhaust to the carb just fine. Anyone have any ideas to help out or what can be causing the problem, thanks.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Are you sure your fuel and exhaust lines are correct. Hose coming from the bottom of the tank should go into your motor hose coming from fuel lid into pipe
Old 07-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

I am almost positive they are, but I will double check that tho, but I remember taking them off and ensuring the top hose is set to the exhaust.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Take the plug out and drain the excess fuel, that's why it's hard to start. Then leave the plug loose when you start it just to get it to fire. Once it fires tighten the plug back up and let it rip.

If it gets hard to pull there's too much fuel in the cylinder. Also you can soak the plug with fuel and it won't fire too. Just let it dry out or replace it.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

That's a good idea leaving the plug a little loose, also maybe I'll get a new fuel tank and hose just incase there is a leak some where
Old 07-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Take the plug out and drain the excess fuel, that's why it's hard to start. Then leave the plug loose when you start it just to get it to fire. Once it fires tighten the plug back up and let it rip.

If it gets hard to pull there's too much fuel in the cylinder. Also you can soak the plug with fuel and it won't fire too. Just let it dry out or replace it.
+1 pretty well sounds like it may be flooded. try to start with the plug out and see if it sprays a bunch of fuel out. The crankcase can be loaded up and flooded also.

When you prime look for the fuel in the line to reach the carb and that is it. If you do too much it will flood the engine.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for all the help I will give it a try tonight, if all else fails I will bring it to the track and see if someone there can help me out. I initially was thinking maybe the clutch bell might be causing a problem, but when I pull start off the ground the tires don't turn so I'm sure it's fine, thanks and have a great day