glow plug questions

Old 07-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default glow plug questions

Been having alot of problems getting glow plugs to last in my GRP .21 Tuned Edition, tried a bunch of brands but keep blowing out and temps getting high, was told to run mediums, also should I get long or short body glow plugs, any suggestions, also whats the best way to run a Novarossi P5XS standard button or turbo and what plugs to run, was also told to run medium and only run Nova plugs, any suggestions, again keep blowing plugs in P5XS aswell

LMK Thanks Phil
Old 07-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Todd Racing View Post
Been having alot of problems getting glow plugs to last in my GRP .21 Tuned Edition, tried a bunch of brands but keep blowing out and temps getting high, was told to run mediums, also should I get long or short body glow plugs, any suggestions, also whats the best way to run a Novarossi P5XS standard button or turbo and what plugs to run, was also told to run medium and only run Nova plugs, any suggestions, again keep blowing plugs in P5XS aswell
LMK Thanks Phil
Check to make sure you dont need another shim in the head. I would suggest using Nova plugs with a Nova motor. Also check your fuel is correct for what you are using it for. Do need a little more info. What fuel, car, usage, how old the motor is.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

GRP .21 was NIB abiut 6 months ago, about 3 gallons same as both P5XS's, all have been sitting for few years untouched, all broke recently in at 20/11 Byrons first gallon 30/9 rest of usage, P5XS's shimmed at .80 and GRP has stock shims never touched, all have been checked for leaks and are OK, and all used in 8ight t 2.0 truggy, would you go turbo button and plug for Nova or stay standard, 1 P5 has 1 race and 4 practice sessions, other just broke in and few practice runs (basiclly new up for sale), GRP 2 races with 6 practice runs, no bashing, do I need long or short plugs for GRP and which type since they no longer make them LMK Thanks Phil
Old 07-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

GRP is turbo plug and is italian so i would only try maybe nova/werks plugs for starts. As far as being told only run medium depends on where your located i run hots always. Same with nova, guessing its standard button means never use a turbo plug in standard buttons it will cause damage vice versa with standard in turbo just wont work i think. You could be killing plugs because of rich tune or even lean which can be due to the plug being a medium. I would try a hot plug and start tune over and see what happens. I would say put turbo plugs in the p5 and long or short plugs? You mean standard or turbo?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I think there may be a problem with your carb settings. You are
tuning the top end too lean. A rich bottom end and lean top will
cause your glowplugs to pop. Call one of the engine gurus that
are on this site twenty-four seven. They will be more than happy
to take the time to walk you through to engine tuning process......
Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

GRP needs a hot plug.

What brands have you used? If you've run an OS plug, your head button might be leaking if you switched with something like a Nova plug (tapers are different and it usually deforms the taper on the button).
Old 07-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

As Rageworks said your tune may be off, Also the Grp could have mechanical problems causing plugs to fail. Check your Rod and crank play as well as bearings. Also it may just be low on compression. We have resized a lot of GRPs that had only 3 gallons or so on them before they lost compression. Could be any of these issues.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
I would say put turbo plugs in the p5 and long or short plugs? You mean standard or turbo?
Gage, standard glow plugs come in 2 sizes. One design has a longer threaded body than the other.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

Thnks Guys, I have yet to try Nova plugs in GRP, wanted to know if I needed long or short body turbo plug and if there the same taper before ordering, I have tried Dynamite, OS, McCoy, O'Donnell and GRP all medium to hot, O'Donnell working the best but local guy says there junk LOL, all these plugs are available locally so will have to order Novas from A-Main crank/conrod/piston look like new, lots of compression and all are in good shape, If I convert P5 to turbo button to use turbo plugs will I need short or long body and how think of shims should I use then, at .80 now, I also have a Nitrotec and was told to run Novarossi C6TGC turbo plug and thats a long body and idle all day, if I stay with standard button on P5 will I need long or short for that aswell, all info is greatly appreiciated Cheers Phil
Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Not trying to Jump in, but I was having tons of trouble with my Cody King engine, everyone said to run hot plugs and when I ran an O.S. p3 ultra hot I had the best results. I ran the Orion hot plug and it wasn't cleaning out, switched to the O.S. and it ran great. Same plug in now for 3 weekends of hard practice and play, they are also the short bodied plugs. Another decent plug for me was O'Donnell but they are the tall body plugs
Old 10-07-2012, 04:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Smile O'DONNELL 97T CHEAP

i HAVE SEEN O'DONNELL PLUGS 97T FOR $59.00 ON EBAY FOR A 10 PACK.
AND OR A 5 PACK FOR $29 THATS CHEAP AS!!