Community
Wiki Posts
Search

driving me crazy rb fire

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Default driving me crazy rb fire

man this is shitting me to tears. brand new cant get this baby to fire at all. preheated with heat gun, primed with fuel, new glow plug but no fire. thought id flooded it so pulled the plug and cranked it over but still wont go. i can get it spinning over flat out on the box but it just wont cough into life. tried giving it throttle and wot not. its not looking good for the race meet tomorrow i should be running this thing in right now. any pointers guys?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It has to be your needle settings. Make certain your plug igniter is charged and working. Set both needles to flush and set your idle gap to about 1.5 mm's. Leave it fairly large for the time being so it can handle a good amount of fuel. Try starting it and for every time you fail start leaning out the LSN 1 hour at a time. Don't touch the HSN at all for the time being. It should fire. If I had to bet your WAY to rich.

Good luck and report back.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JoePit
It has to be your needle settings. Make certain your plug igniter is charged and working. Set both needles to flush and set your idle gap to about 1.5 mm's. Leave it fairly large for the time being so it can handle a good amount of fuel. Try starting it and for every time you fail start leaning out the LSN 1 hour at a time. Don't touch the HSN at all for the time being. It should fire. If I had to bet your WAY to rich.

Good luck and report back.
no worries mate ill try that. the settings are box settings from factory as, i was planning to tune it from there theyre usually pretty rich afaik. it states in the manual its factory set so i would expect it to at least fire. but yep ill give it a try.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sprattz
no worries mate ill try that. the settings are box settings from factory as, i was planning to tune it from there theyre usually pretty rich afaik. it states in the manual its factory set so i would expect it to at least fire. but yep ill give it a try.
You should be good to go in no time. Let us know
Old 07-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Tech Champion

What plug do you have? Some people have had problems with colder plugs. If possible, the Novarossi C5TGC is meant to ideal.

(I have a Fire 11 but haven't run it yet. When I do it will be with a C5TGC based on what others have said..)
Old 07-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Tech Initiate

nothing happening. couple of splutters. went a full rotation of the clock leaner on low speed needle and no luck, so back to flush now. tried 2 new plugs, fully charge glow starter. if i pull the plug and wind it over it pumps out a fair amount of mist. im a bit over it
Old 07-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Tech Champion

What plug do you have in it? And what fuel are you using?

Open the idle gap a bit?

Last edited by Herrsavage; 07-06-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sprattz
nothing happening. couple of splutters. went a full rotation of the clock leaner on low speed needle and no luck, so back to flush now. tried 2 new plugs, fully charge glow starter. if i pull the plug and wind it over it pumps out a fair amount of mist. im a bit over it
1 full turn might not be enough. You said you had some sputtering so that tells me you was headed in the right direction. You have to remember your HSN is set to flush so you are still dumping a ton of fuel in there at only 1 turn in from flush on the LSN. Keep going or open the idle gap a bit more to compensate. You're almost there. Speed up the process a bit and do 1/4 turns. If the engine starts and stalls keep leaning a bit at a time at that point. If it starts revving high you went to much so just fatten it up a bit.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:17 AM
Tech Initiate

happy happy joy joy! dunno what but she fired up and is fine now. thanks guys. to answer your question i have plug : rb concepts no.6 which was in the engine when it came.
so is the both needles flush setting an ok baseline to work off? i set them to flush and then 3 hours richer just for the first tank idle run on the box, seems to be spitting plenty of fuel and is holding a steady idle at around 200 temps.
does anyone know the factory carb settings for these engines?
cheers again.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

That happened to me in the past so I know how frustrating it can get. The problem was with my ignitor. Remove the plug, use some pliers to put it in the ignitor and see if the plug lights up.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:31 AM
Tech Champion

There is a thread about the Fire 11 here, with posts from guys who had issues with the stock plug. The solution is a hotter plug like the NR C5TGC I mentioned above. A Werks 5 is prob also good.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I ran a fire 11 recently for a race day and it liked the Werks #6 plug. I'm sure if you stick with a 5 or 6 you are good. The nova 6 is a little hotter than a Werks 6 just FYI.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Just a follow up. I ran the engine on the starter box with the head wrapped for one tank of fuel blipping the throttle. Then another tank blipping the gas around the yard, no faster then walking pace. Then yesterday I idled another tank with the head wrapped again. I then drove the car through 3 7 minute qualifiers running fairly rich. Today I leaned it a bit but still rich and race 2 20 minute mains. The track has short straights so never really peaked the revs out. The engine now starts easy an idles perfectly but still occasionally gets stuck in the pinch on the box requiring a screwdriver on the fly to free it up. It was starting to run fairly hard in the second twenty main even at rich setting but never had the real snap of the bottom yet. The engine won't turn over by hand even when hot. So should I start sneaking up on a snappy tune yet? According to the breaking bible thread it's ready for race tuning after around twenty minutes of run time.....I'm up to 60 minutes.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

An engine is not ready for race tune if it still has metal pinch. Keep it rich and make sure you heat it up good before you fire it every time. Monitor temps also as running too cold will do just as much damage as running too hot. Your engine will tell you when it's ready for a race tune as it will suddenly go blubbering rich and lose all power, with a drastic drop off in running temp. That's when you know that metal pinch is gone and you can crank down on the needles with a solid race tune. High quality engines need around a gallon of fuel through them before they are ready for race tune
Old 07-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Nice tip

Originally Posted by Frank L
I ran a fire 11 recently for a race day and it liked the Werks #6 plug. I'm sure if you stick with a 5 or 6 you are good. The nova 6 is a little hotter than a Werks 6 just FYI.
That is good to know. I think the Nova 6 is a little bit too warm for my summers in my opinion. I thought I might try the Nova c7tgc but haven't ordered one. It's over 100 degrees on the track in Houston most of the summer. The local hobby shop has some Werks 6 plugs. I may try that based on your tip, thank you. I was wondering about them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.