R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Offroad Nitro Engine Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum-157/)
-   -   V-spec,Ninja,Or B5 in truggy? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum/637544-v-spec-ninja-b5-truggy.html)

kman16jr 06-14-2012 01:48 PM

V-spec,Ninja,Or B5 in truggy?

Ok so my bought a brand new losi 8ight-t 2.0 and he is deciding to run the mugen buggy and truggy so i'm going to run it this season.My question is what motor and pipe should i run?I have been looking at the o.s xz-b blue head version,the new ninja,or a werks b5 or b5 pro.I just want some advice on which motor and pipe to run in the truggy,thank you for any replies.

305M3 06-14-2012 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by kman16jr (Post 10860447)
Ok so my bought a brand new losi 8ight-t 2.0 and he is deciding to run the mugen buggy and truggy so i'm going to run it this season.My question is what motor and pipe should i run?I have been looking at the o.s xz-b blue head version,the new ninja,or a werks b5 or b5 pro.I just want some advice on which motor and pipe to run in the truggy,thank you for any replies.

I have the BO2 w/2058 (new Ninja) in my STRR but have had a B5 (not Pro) w/ 2013 and 2058 in an 8T 2.0. Both RIP, have TONS of bottom end, and I have no issues clearing the biggest jumps, combo sections, or burning out of corners.

Both are spectacular. I love the sound of the B02 and I feel is has a bit more snap off the line or coming out of a turn. The B5 is significantly cheaper and Ron, from Werks, provides great customer service. Also, the B5 is super easy to tune and holds that tune forever.

All that being said, I don't regret spending more money for the B02, but I'm also not good enough to really benefit from the 200$ difference. I'm just as fast w/ the B5.

Coincidentally, I have the OS Speed (black head) in my MP9 and it is amazing.

Lastly, this thread will probably get moved to the Nitro Engine section. Good luck and you can't go wrong w/ any of the motors you listed above.

jpz_67 06-14-2012 02:32 PM

Out of your selections I can tell you this. A truggy will have some pretty deep gearing so bottom end wont be an issue, what I see quite a bit in truggy is that they peter out down the straight from lack of top end. This isnt always the case but I see it quite often. The ninja and the xzb are very similar engines. There bores are almost identical, the ninja has a tad smaller bore, there cranks are very similar to. The B5 has a larger bore than the os and the same stroke as the os and is a 5 port to boot. Sorry for the long winded post just pointing out a few details. Any one of the motors is a great selection, I guess your track size also would be a determining factor, I would go with the B5. I think it would have plenty of bottom and would pull longer on the big end. As far as a pipe the werks 2058 is supposed to be a good balance of bottem/top end performance. I am not a werks fan boy either, I currently run OS. Just giving my thoughts. Good luck.

kman16jr 06-14-2012 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by 305M3 (Post 10860565)
I have the BO2 w/2058 (new Ninja) in my STRR but have had a B5 (not Pro) w/ 2013 and 2058 in an 8T 2.0. Both RIP, have TONS of bottom end, and I have no issues clearing the biggest jumps, combo sections, or burning out of corners.

Both are spectacular. I love the sound of the B02 and I feel is has a bit more snap off the line or coming out of a turn. The B5 is significantly cheaper and Ron, from Werks, provides great customer service. Also, the B5 is super easy to tune and holds that tune forever.

All that being said, I don't regret spending more money for the B02, but I'm also not good enough to really benefit from the 200$ difference. I'm just as fast w/ the B5.

Coincidentally, I have the OS Speed (black head) in my MP9 and it is amazing.

Lastly, this thread will probably get moved to the Nitro Engine section. Good luck and you can't go wrong w/ any of the motors you listed above.

Well basically I'm stuck between all of them because i know they are all fast and i run a b6 in my buggy and it is awesome,Great smooth power and tons of runtime.I'm probably gonna go with the b5 only because i already run the b6 in my buggy.Any real difference between the b5 and b5 pro?

kman16jr 06-14-2012 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by jpz_67 (Post 10860612)
Out of your selections I can tell you this. A truggy will have some pretty deep gearing so bottom end wont be an issue, what I see quite a bit in truggy is that they peter out down the straight from lack of top end. This isnt always the case but I see it quite often. The ninja and the xzb are very similar engines. There bores are almost identical, the ninja has a tad smaller bore, there cranks are very similar to. The B5 has a larger bore than the os and the same stroke as the os and is a 5 port to boot. Sorry for the long winded post just pointing out a few details. Any one of the motors is a great selection, I guess your track size also would be a determining factor, I would go with the B5. I think it would have plenty of bottom and would pull longer on the big end. As far as a pipe the werks 2058 is supposed to be a good balance of bottem/top end performance. I am not a werks fan boy either, I currently run OS. Just giving my thoughts. Good luck.

Well a top level kyosho driver here runs the regular v-spec and he is fast but one guy here has almost 8 gallons through his b5 and he has only changed a rod,And as far as i know they all out of the box motors.:nod:My freind just got a ninja for his mbx6r us and the motor looks awesome.The top guys here run a ninja,regular v-spec,and b5's.

bigjayjay1 06-14-2012 03:26 PM

Ninja all the way plenty power, great run times, super easy tuning simply one of the best motors produced.

Vspec is a power house same attributes as the ninja but I dont care for the crank since its not DLC coated.

Werks is a great engine but I pefer OS over werks due to carb and other things I've owned all motors stated for a long duration thats my selection.Also this should be in the nitro engine forum look above on the first page

tony montana 06-14-2012 03:30 PM

if it were me I would buy the b5. Its a nice engine. I ran one in my truggy last year. Had all the power I needed and it was very reliable. And if I recall it never flamed on the the whole season.I believe Ron says you get typically 8-10 gallons before needing a rebuild which is awesome considering the cost of the engine. Now the ninja is a nice engine as well, but cost roughly 130-150 more than the b5.

kman16jr 06-14-2012 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by tony montana (Post 10860786)
if it were me I would buy the b5. Its a nice engine. I ran one in my truggy last year. Had all the power I needed and it was very reliable. And if I recall it never flamed on the the whole season.I believe Ron says you get typically 8-10 gallons before needing a rebuild which is awesome considering the cost of the engine. Now the ninja is a nice engine as well, but cost roughly 130-150 more than the b5.

I will probably get the werks b5 or the b5 pro and probably get the 2058 pipe.I just cant afford the ninja and the pipe.And i already know that the b5 is proven over here and again i already run the b6 in my buggy so interchangeability and tuning will be easier because they are practically the same motor.

kris88 06-14-2012 05:20 PM

I have the blue head xzb in my Mugen truggy, personally I love it, has a nice power band and tons of top end, i dont give up anything to my buddy who runs the same truggy with the xzb speed on the straight

the only experience I have with the werks line is a B7 pro, and i personally think the OS holds a tune better and has more grunt

the only ninja i have run is the B01 and loved it, and from what i hear the B02 is better with more mileage

I found the blue head OS too much in my buggy, i had to compensate with a heavier flywheel and soft clutch springs to get it driveable without the huge bottom end hit and resulting wheelspin, but our tracks are pretty loose and loamy

LosiPRRACER 06-14-2012 11:01 PM

ninja... anything o.s then nova, then orion/werks/sirio then ALPHA PLUS engines

merdith6 06-14-2012 11:14 PM

prolly right

Originally Posted by jpz_67 (Post 10860612)

One thing I noticed at the last race is more OS speeds and Ninja motors at the track. Every one of them looked nice in the turns but on the straitaway they looked terrible. All of them. I remember the old v spec had an extra gear, but the new ones don't seem to from what I have seen, not an expert on OS engines though, just what you said made alot of sense to me from my observations at the track.

bigjayjay1 06-14-2012 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by merdith6 (Post 10862400)
One thing I noticed at the last race is more OS speeds and Ninja motors at the track. Every one of them looked nice in the turns but on the straitaway they looked terrible. All of them. I remember the old v spec had an extra gear, but the new ones don't seem to from what I have seen, not an expert on OS engines though, just what you said made alot of sense to me from my observations at the track.

I would say they weren't tuned or setup correct pipe is a big one. These mills haul low and high I've owned a few in my day and I'm not saying these guys can't tune but something doesnt sound right.

racarb 06-15-2012 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by merdith6 (Post 10862400)

I've run novas in the past and now run a ninja. My ninja screams but so did my Novas. I guess the tune on the day is very important. My Toro was an animal on the straights but overall (low and high speed) my ninja is better.

psr 06-15-2012 06:12 AM

go ninja you wont regreat it al of them a great engines but to me the ninja with a 2090 or the ninja combo has the perfect amount of power for a trruggy

jaywax 06-15-2012 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by kman16jr (Post 10860447)

All good engines. I would go with B5 for truggy. I think Werks has figured it out. They have price and performance on lock. I've ran all brand engines and Werks is just a great value. I started running the B7 Pro a while back after watching Mike Bataile run in a series race in Austin, Tx. It was crazy fast and sounded awesome. Their engines are easy to breaking and hold a tune forever. Also, they run well with non Werks pipes. Don't forget about the Nova P5. It is just as good as the B5.