Engine temps

Old 06-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

Default Engine temps

Getting a bit obsessed where the best place to take temp and a rough range is 225 to 270 would thisbe in any climate coz I know you boyz in oz and usa see high temps all the time in England were not so lucky
Old 06-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Most people take it on top of the plug. Its used more for reference than for actual tuning.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RePeTe View Post
Most people take it on top of the plug. Its used more for reference than for actual tuning.
I know fair point but when running in minus 8c to running 33c should your temps be the same
Old 06-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

IMO temping an engine is what causes people to chase tunes all day long. My only temp gun stays home in my garage to temp an engine I am heating up before starting during breakin. If you feel you really need to temp your engine the most important thing is to be consistent with where you temp it. Some engine run great at 210 while some have to be 290 to run good. If you can tune to performance/sound/smoke you will find yourself chasing a tune a lot less often trying to keep temps in check. And yes climate will play a big part in how hot an engine is going to run if it's -8 and snowing you may never hit 180, if it's 33 you may very well get up to 275.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Chris Peralta View Post
IMO temping an engine is what causes people to chase tunes all day long. My only temp gun stays home in my garage to temp an engine I am heating up before starting during breakin. If you feel you really need to temp your engine the most important thing is to be consistent with where you temp it. Some engine run great at 210 while some have to be 290 to run good. If you can tune to performance/sound/smoke you will find yourself chasing a tune a lot less often trying to keep temps in check. And yes climate will play a big part in how hot an engine is going to run if it's -8 and snowing you may never hit 180, if it's 33 you may very well get up to 275.
Thanks that puts my mind at rest exact answer I was looking for just wern't sure if I was cooking or wearing my engine out
Old 06-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Ya temps are a good reference point for many but remember..... It's possible for your engine to be running 200 degrees yet be too lean, and also can be 250 and still too rich. As you run a lot more often you will start to hear how your engine sounds when it's lean and how it sounds when it's rich, and mainly how it sounds and performs when it's tuned just right.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Tech Adept

Ya temps are a good reference point for many but remember..... It's possible for your engine to be running 200 degrees yet be too lean, and also can be 250 and still too rich. As you run a lot more often you will start to hear how your engine sounds when it's lean and how it sounds when it's rich, and mainly how it sounds and performs when it's tuned just right.
There is a lot to be taken in at the weekend I ran a low bite clutch on a high bite track at first it seemed like a rich setting but after retuning I had the same simptons but with higher temps
Old 06-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Yep, thats another example of a variable other than the engine it's self having an effect on the temp. A slipping clutch will normally create more heat. Also if it engages way to early on a super high bite track you may be forcing the engine to work too hard which will create higher temps too. Like you said it's a lot to take in!! Try to get to the track one day when there is very few people there so you can run ALL day long and hear how things sound when you make changes to the tune or clutch or both.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Tech Adept

Yep, thats another example of a variable other than the engine it's self having an effect on the temp. A slipping clutch will normally create more heat. Also if it engages way to early on a super high bite track you may be forcing the engine to work too hard which will create higher temps too. Like you said it's a lot to take in!! Try to get to the track one day when there is very few people there so you can run ALL day long and hear how things sound when you make changes to the tune or clutch or both.
Will do
Old 06-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

sometimes your clutch can bog and make it feel like your tune is off also..If you have a soft clutch with a high bite track you may be getting too much slip, making your engine feel rich..You cant tune your engine to eliminate an improper clutch setting..Learning clutch tuning will help you just as much as learning engine tuning, especially if you are using one the newest version clutches that can be tuned 8 ways to Sunday
Old 06-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have been told 200-300 is where these engines run.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I havent been tunning these motors for that long but have quickly realised to put your temp gun in ya box and listen, use your ears, listen and use your ears.
Unless Im breaking in a new motor or something is way out of the ordinary with my tune as to get a reference the temp gun stays in my box.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I temp at the end of a qualifier or main just as a referance point. Just to make sure everything is going well. Motor typically runs between 230 and 240 for me. I know that if i Temp it and its up to 260 then I need to look at a few things, starting with clutch and fuel delivery system. By no means should you use temps as tuning, between 200 and 280 is good as long as there is smoke and no lean bogs.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Some guys run their engine then their pit man temps then the retune over and over you should tune by sound as stated how it clears out and idles is how I tune. smoke is a factor but some fuels are different. You should tune by feel, I only temp after the main after running 30-60 mins to see average temp after a long hard run. If you temp make sure you clean the your temp gun if its off you will be chasing once you get familar with tuning it comes natural. When i started I would be cheap engines then head to the park. I would spend hours on tuning adjusting and learning.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sure it's nice to have a number againts a tune but i find more and more i don't care about temp. smoke/noise/performance is all i look for.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.