Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Can't make a decision on a new engine!!?!?!? Ahhhhh >

Can't make a decision on a new engine!!?!?!? Ahhhhh

Can't make a decision on a new engine!!?!?!? Ahhhhh

Old 06-02-2012, 07:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Can't make a decision on a new engine!!?!?!? Ahhhhh

I know theres all kind of these threads and ven i get anouyed seeing them all the time but i just can not make up my mind!!!!
I bought a werks B5 off here ran it one race and nothing but problems. But i feel thats not a true testament to the B5, more or less just my stupid choice to buy a used motor. Iv heard alot of good about them but am still skeptical now about either A: rebuilding the one I have or B: just buying a new one.
But any ways heres my dilema
I stuck between the decision mentioned above or scaping my experiment with Werks and just going back to my cheaper tryed and true Picco Boost.
Thought about getting the newer Boost 3TS from nitro house.
Or also thought about trying Alpha A852.

So if any one could help me sway my decision that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

Any pinch left on the B5? I'd look into a rebuild depending on how old the engine is, and if I thought there was a chance to salvage it.

What sort of problems are you having specifically?
Old 06-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I'm not trying to sway your decision one way or the other but I can promise you that you will not be disappointed with a new Werks motor, and not to mention the customer service and support Ron will give you. With that said, I'm sure the other engines are good also. Oh and never buy a used engine unless you know the racer personally.... Just my $0.02
Old 06-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Tech Adept

I bought it "rebuilt" and repinched from retech. Seemed great broke in nice ran good on a rich tune around my track at home. Took it to midwest nitro race, first qual it put me in second overall and it all went down hill from there. Ate thru some 97T plugs then tryed a P3 ate one up and wouldnt really run after that. Flamed out over and over. Couldnt get a good idle.
Pulled it apart, found the junk described above and a rear bearing that was frozen to the crank and the bearing was junk. Had to use a dremel and cutting wheel to delicatly get the inner race off the crank. I feel even with the .5-1mm groove i put in the end part of the crank (opposite the counter weight) that the crank is fine.
Im concerned about bearing maybe had spun in the case ruining the case. And the junk getting to the piston and sleeve cuz there does seem to be a few small scuffs on the piston but the sleeve looks clean.
Sorry for the long description just didnt want to leave out any details really.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jammin#2 View Post
I bought it "rebuilt" and repinched from retech. Seemed great broke in nice ran good on a rich tune around my track at home. Took it to midwest nitro race, first qual it put me in second overall and it all went down hill from there. Ate thru some 97T plugs then tryed a P3 ate one up and wouldnt really run after that. Flamed out over and over. Couldnt get a good idle.
Pulled it apart, found the junk described above and a rear bearing that was frozen to the crank and the bearing was junk. Had to use a dremel and cutting wheel to delicatly get the inner race off the crank. I feel even with the .5-1mm groove i put in the end part of the crank (opposite the counter weight) that the crank is fine.
Im concerned about bearing maybe had spun in the case ruining the case. And the junk getting to the piston and sleeve cuz there does seem to be a few small scuffs on the piston but the sleeve looks clean.
IMO that thing is trash now, but i think you would very well advised to try a new werks motor they look like they scream and tune really easily
Old 06-02-2012, 08:34 AM
psr
Tech Regular

a new engine it is
Old 06-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I dunno I've had nothing but good luck with my Werks. The reason I bought another one with only 4 gallons and a ton of pinch left on my current one. What I really like is how easy they are to tune. I honestly have NEVER flamed out. Watch tonight I will flame out Anyway... I see so many people fumbling around with their engines at the track. My tune is always within a hour or 2. Idle NEVER gets touched, and when I do the problems begin. It likes .6mm and that's where it stays.

Might want to try a pro version as to my understanding the rear ceramic never fails.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jammin#2 View Post
Yep, hate to say it, but sounds like she's probably done. Pick up a new one and be happy
Old 06-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Your tuning problems came from the rear bearing going out, and that is the reason it ate plugs also. I have saved some engines like this in the past but it even just a rear bearing is almost $30.00 so it might not be worth it for you.

Rex
Old 06-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Yup good idea send your engine in have a pro check it out that can service and give you an answer rebuilding or not. If not then I would look at other motor options its good to try different brands for different feel.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Hi Jammin#2, I'm sorry to hear about the problems that you ran into with one of our B5's! Obviously when it comes down to buying used we have no control over the shall we say "condition" that you will receive the engine in. Being upfront if the engine was pinched before it was sent to you that means right off the bat that it was either ran for 6-9 gallons, was ran too lean (which wore out the P/S fit) or the air filter fell off and it sucked dirt which wore out the P/S fit. 2 out of the 3 things that I described above will also significantly reduce the life expectancy of the rear bearing! When the rear bearing starts to go you usually can hear it when the engine is running because it sounds like there are a couple of loose nuts and bolt rattling around lol. If you ever hear that, immediately stop running your engine, pull it apart and inspect everything. Usually you can catch this when you hear the rattling sound and just swap the bearing and be done. If you don't as 22Racer mentioned you will start popping plugs just like you described in one of your earlier posts and if you keep on running it ultimately the bearing will completely fall apart and go through the engine destroying everything. At this point there is probably not really anything that can be done to salvage your engine.

As others have mentioned you have to be really, really careful when buying used engines and frankly I would advise people not to do it at all unless you know the person that you are buying it from as it's frankly a crap shoot as you see! Ultimately though you bought one of our engines and even though it was used I care about every one of our customers and I want you to be happy with your decision/choice to go with a Werks engines. I always try to go above and beyond any other company out there to support our customers because frankly I started this company because I was a racer that was fed up with getting treated like garbage by the companies that were around at that time lol! So...if you are interested I would be willing to get you into a brand new B5 for just $100. This way you are running brand new equipment and you will have the opportunity to really see how our stuff works! If you are interested in taking me up on this just shoot me a PM with your contact info and I will touch base with you on Monday to get everything sorted.

Regards,

Ron
Old 06-02-2012, 11:05 AM
psr
Tech Regular

there you go well don ron big ups to you
Old 06-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Werks View Post
Hi Jammin#2, I'm sorry to hear about the problems that you ran into with one of our B5's! Obviously when it comes down to buying used we have no control over the shall we say "condition" that you will receive the engine in. Being upfront if the engine was pinched before it was sent to you that means right off the bat that it was either ran for 6-9 gallons, was ran too lean (which wore out the P/S fit) or the air filter fell off and it sucked dirt which wore out the P/S fit. 2 out of the 3 things that I described above will also significantly reduce the life expectancy of the rear bearing! When the rear bearing starts to go you usually can hear it when the engine is running because it sounds like there are a couple of loose nuts and bolt rattling around lol. If you ever hear that, immediately stop running your engine, pull it apart and inspect everything. Usually you can catch this when you hear the rattling sound and just swap the bearing and be done. If you don't as 22Racer mentioned you will start popping plugs just like you described in one of your earlier posts and if you keep on running it ultimately the bearing will completely fall apart and go through the engine destroying everything. At this point there is probably not really anything that can be done to salvage your engine.

As others have mentioned you have to be really, really careful when buying used engines and frankly I would advise people not to do it at all unless you know the person that you are buying it from as it's frankly a crap shoot as you see! Ultimately though you bought one of our engines and even though it was used I care about every one of our customers and I want you to be happy with your decision/choice to go with a Werks engines. I always try to go above and beyond any other company out there to support our customers because frankly I started this company because I was a racer that was fed up with getting treated like garbage by the companies that were around at that time lol! So...if you are interested I would be willing to get you into a brand new B5 for just $100. This way you are running brand new equipment and you will have the opportunity to really see how our stuff works! If you are interested in taking me up on this just shoot me a PM with your contact info and I will touch base with you on Monday to get everything sorted.

Regards,

Ron
Awesome, Ron is a stand up guy and his products are fantastic. We sell a fair amount of Werks engines, pipes and plugs, and have never had ANY problems, other than distributors not keeping enough stock, lol.
Thanks Ron for your integrity in business, and desire for a solid, good product.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Adept

Regards,

Ron

There you go problem solved, i dont care who you are you cant beat that wth stick!!!!
Old 06-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Regards,

Ron
WOW!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.