Question on a carb slide

Old 05-31-2012, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default Question on a carb slide

My carb slide is sticking open at 30% and 50% throttle. It feels like its jamming up. When I pulled the boot off to see if any dirt was causing it to hang open the whole carb pull out with the boot. Never worked on a carb or had to change a boot cover. Can anyone tell me what can cause it to jam and do carbs come out that easily when the boot is off?
Old 05-31-2012, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Titian2010 View Post
My carb slide is sticking open at 30% and 50% throttle. It feels like its jamming up. When I pulled the boot off to see if any dirt was causing it to hang open the whole carb pull out with the boot. Never worked on a carb or had to change a boot cover. Can anyone tell me what can cause it to jam and do carbs come out that easily when the boot is off?
The idle screw should hold the slide from coming all the way out and keep it from twisting. The tip of the idle screw should fit into the recessed slot in the slide. If the tip is broken or the screw is backed out too much while runnjing, bad things happen.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

I pulled the carb out to get a inside look. Idle screw is now closed and keeping slide intact. Now I'm trying to figure out with the slide isn't smooth when closing and opening it. Cleaned it and still sticks. Also idle screw isn't pushing the slide open to creat a gap. This is from a blown motor. Just trying to see if I can fix it. If not no big deal. Thanks for that bit of help.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

The idle screw tip is missing. Which is odd but explains a lot. Guess problem that problem is solved on why the gap is opening.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Titian2010 View Post
The idle screw tip is missing. Which is odd but explains a lot. Guess problem that problem is solved on why the gap is opening.
Does the engine its from start with O?

I have seen a few idle screw tips break off on those carbs is why i ask
Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

If I understand right, I think I had the same problem, try rebuilding the carb.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by houston View Post
Does the engine its from start with O?

I have seen a few idle screw tips break off on those carbs is why i ask
Sorry guys for the late replies. My updated on replies that usually notify me through email instantly didnt work for any of my subscribed threads. Anyhow back to the issue.
Houston the carb is from my werks but I was testing it on a ninja. My insulator sleeve on my mugen carb wasn't gripping any longe so had to order another. Tired my werks carb for a practice and it actually worked really well plus I felt the motor ran a little better and cooler. But only made it through a half practice before I could actually note times and temps. The throttling started to feel funny so I pulled the buggy for the day to avoid issue. Upon inspection I found that slide is sticking at some areas. The boot was on tight but I thought maybe dirt was clogging it. Pulled the boot and the slide came out along with it. Then I posted to find out the issue. So far with the help above I found my idle screw tip is missing. Cleaned the motor and it wasn't inside and no piston scars to indicate it passed through. So I'm going to order another idle screw but want to figure out the sticky issues before. I'll fool with the slide more tonigh to figure it out. Must be a bad section from when the screw broke off and maybe chipped a area. Just a guess though.