Clocked P5XLT problems...

Old 05-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)
Angry Clocked P5XLT problems...

I just bought a used Clocked P5XLT and when i start it, it idles too high, without the carb being opened by the servo and spins the wheels, however if I hit the brake, the engine shuts off. I tried highering the idle and the engine stopped shutting off while braking but when not on the brakes, the engine idles high and wheels spin. Also I cant seem to get the top performance out of the engine, even though i consider my self a fairly good tuner.

Engine has a gallon on it, as stated by the seller.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chopper82p View Post
I just bought a used Clocked P5XLT and when i start it, it idles too high, without the carb being opened by the servo and spins the wheels, however if I hit the brake, the engine shuts off. I tried highering the idle and the engine stopped shutting off while braking but when not on the brakes, the engine idles high and wheels spin. Also I cant seem to get the top performance out of the engine, even though i consider my self a fairly good tuner.

Thanks
Lol, funny how every engine has a gallon on it. Sounds like you need to lean the low end a lot then idle it down.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well if it stalls with the brakes on it means your linkage is not setup correctly.............If you need some help feel free to give me a call........
Old 05-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks
Reading what your saying here looks like you are just overlooking some very basic throttle linkage setup issues.... Sounds like your throttle is not returning to true idle till you hit your brakes..........Should be a very basic easy fix, I wouldn't be messing with the needles till you have that linakge operating correctly,.............. Also while we are here what fuel,plug/pipe/clutch/car are you running ? what venturi size int he carb ?
Old 05-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Deffinetly check the linkage. Also look that the clutch bell spins freely and isn't binding.

Neal will get you straightened out.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Reading what your saying here looks like you are just overlooking some very basic throttle linkage setup issues.... Sounds like your throttle is not returning to true idle till you hit your brakes..........Should be a very basic easy fix, I wouldn't be messing with the needles till you have that linakge operating correctly,.............. Also while we are here what fuel,plug/pipe/clutch/car are you running ? what venturi size int he carb ?
The linkage is setup perfect, I'm not a noob at this . The throttle is completely closed while the car was doing this.

I tried resorting to factory needle settings, started good but low end was too rich, when i gave it throttle it stalled. The engine still has a lot of pinch so I need to re charge my starter box batteries, I'll be back out in about an hour to see if I can get it running better. The idle seemed fine though, maybe a little high but it doesn't look like I was having the same problems as before I went back to factory settings. I will see how it runs once batteries are charged and report back

I was running the blue venturi (forgot the size. but its the smallest I think) before I changed back to factory needle settings, now I'm running the red one, 8. Werks power clutch, Losi RE10 pipe, C6TGC plug, and Byrons 30%.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by rider313 View Post
Deffinetly check the linkage. Also look that the clutch bell spins freely and isn't binding.

Neal will get you straightened out.
Clutch bell is spinning perfect.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Tech Champion

The linkage is setup perfect, I'm not a noob at this . The throttle is completely closed while the car was doing this.

I tried resorting to factory needle settings, started good but low end was too rich, when i gave it throttle it stalled. The engine still has a lot of pinch so I need to re charge my starter box batteries, I'll be back out in about an hour to see if I can get it running better. The idle seemed fine though, maybe a little high but it doesn't look like I was having the same problems as before I went back to factory settings. I will see how it runs once batteries are charged and report back

I was running the blue venturi (forgot the size. but its the smallest I think) before I changed back to factory needle settings, now I'm running the red one, 8. Werks power clutch, Losi RE10 pipe, C6TGC plug, and Byrons 30%.

Thanks
if you hit the brakes and it stalls then the linkage is not set correctly.........please call and I will help you out......
Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
if you hit the brakes and it stalls then the linkage is not set correctly.........please call and I will help you out......
It stopped stalling when I hit the brakes when I reset the idle and hsn, lsn. That must have been the problem but I will make sure all is good when I charge my starter box batteries and start it up again.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Tech Champion

It stopped stalling when I hit the brakes when I reset the idle and hsn, lsn. That must have been the problem but I will make sure all is good when I charge my starter box batteries and start it up again.
Good luck my friend...If you have any further issues just give me a call, I will be more then happy to help you out.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Suspended

Thanks Neal, I had to get off the phone quick, my dad was worried the neighbors were gonna call the cops because i'm running it too late, its 9:30 here. I'll call you again tomorrow while I'm at the track to help get it fine tuned, yeah it was sounding better when I richened the hsn but I didnt really get a chance to test it out fully.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2012, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

CRISIS AVERTED! Please folks, move on, nothing to see here.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by rageworks View Post
CRISIS AVERTED! Please folks, move on, nothing to see here.