New to Nitro :)

Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default New to Nitro :)

Hi,

I have just bought a second hand Hyper 7 TQ Sport. It has a new Force .28 engine and has had only one tank of fuel through it.

I am wanting to know the following if anyone can help ?

1) What fuel would be best ? 16% or 20% nitro ?
2) What glow plug do I need ? I read somewhere the OS8 plug is a good all rounder ?
3) I want to tune the engine. What is the best way to do this ? I have watched a very yt videos however, they all state different amounts of screw turns etc !

Any advise you provide would be much appreciated

Thanks
Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Lightbulb

I just got a new one broke it in yesterday as per the book high needle 3 turns out from closed mid range 1/2 turn out run 2 tanks at idle talk 3 and4 very slow easy to half throttle tank5 lean high speed 1/3 turn in per tank till good make sure you always have trail of smoke at all times engine should never be above 250 in break in
Old 04-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (97%+)

You probably want to use a medium glow plug and i think its the standard size and not turbo. The o.s. #8 is what i use in my engines and you will want to use 30% nitro.. Thats the most common for 1/8 scale engines. Some people do use 20% for break in only tho.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Okay thanks.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Go to your local hobby store to help you with tuning. They will also recommend a glow plug to use with your fuel. Don't use less than 20% nitro. Tuning isn't easy, go to the "engine tuning bible" thread at the very top of the "Offroad Nitro Engine Forum", where you posted this thread.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Help

Im new to the rc world as far as owning my own, I have driven alot just never really worked on any. So I came across a deal and bought an ofna buggy with no body but alot of aluminum upgrades it has the force 28 engine on it that wasn't running when I purchased it but I thought heck for 100 bucks all these upgrades and brand new tires it was worth that. Enough background I took it home went and got some 33% fuel and a new glow plug sealed the whole engine (backplate and carburetor) fueled it up and it fired right away so I drove it right easy around the yard for a few minutes and it knocked off no biggy just thought it needed some tuning tried to start it again and it took a little longer time needless to say it wouldn't start no more the rest of the day by the way didn't even get to run one tank through it any way after sitting over night it will start right up but after it cuts off it will not start again. I set the carb back to factory settings but after the first run nothing. Can someone please tell me what's going on any help is appreciated!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Tech Rookie

My force 28 will run for about five minute great real strong but when it cut off it will not start back any help appreciated.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ike23 View Post
My force 28 will run for about five minute great real strong but when it cut off it will not start back any help appreciated.
Just a guess, but it's probably running too hot and needs to cool back down before it will fire again. I had this problem with my Revo 3.3. I richened up the tune a little bit and it helped.....also changed my plug to a hotter plug.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm running a medium plug now so you think a hot plug will help keep it cooler? That sounds about right though cause when I try to start it back it almost sounds like the fuel is just evaporating when it reaches the carb.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

My Revo was boiling the fuel as it entered the carb ;-) I richened it up and the problem went away...at least for me. If you let it cool down for a few minutes...does it fire right back up? If it does, then fatten up top and bottom by 1-2 hours and see what happens.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Tech Adept

I'm running a medium plug now so you think a hot plug will help keep it cooler? That sounds about right though cause when I try to start it back it almost sounds like the fuel is just evaporating when it reaches the carb.
I usually try to run the coolest plug possible..it's a tad harder to tune, but a colder plug will help the engine produce more power.

Although you're not supposed to tune for temps, with some engines (like alot of SH's I've had experience with) you almost have to make sure they stay in the low 200's. At around 250+ some engines start to run funky, flame out, give you hell when you try and restart..etc...
Old 05-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

My Revo ran like crap until it hit @ 270 degrees. lol Ran great in the 270-285 range. Anything outside of that....it was a turd. I agree though...cooler plug will make more power, but your tuning window gets very very small. If you suck at tuning or are just getting into it...a hot or medium plug will help you find the sweet spot. As you get better...a cooler plug will give you that last 5-10% on a tune for sure.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Im new to the rc world as far as owning my own, I have driven alot just never really worked on any. So I came across a deal and bought an ofna buggy with no body but alot of aluminum upgrades it has the force 28 engine on it that wasn't running when I purchased it but I thought heck for 100 bucks all these upgrades and brand new tires it was worth that. Enough background I took it home went and got some 33% fuel and a new glow plug sealed the whole engine (backplate and carburetor) fueled it up and it fired right away so I drove it right easy around the yard for a few minutes and it knocked off no biggy just thought it needed some tuning tried to start it again and it took a little longer time needless to say it wouldn't start no more the rest of the day by the way didn't even get to run one tank through it any way after sitting over night it will start right up but after it cuts off it will not start again. I set the carb back to factory settings but after the first run nothing. Can someone please tell me what's going on any help is appreciated!
With the motor cold, try turning the motor over by using your finger to turn the flywheel. If it offers little to no resistance your motor is probably worn out. You should have to put a little effort into getting it to turn. If the piston/sleeve is worn, it will run fine at first, but when you get heat in the motor the sleeve expands and bye bye compression which leads to the flameout and failure to restart. Let us know what happens after you try that.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Tech Rookie

There is some resistance but like I said I'm a newby, but that is probably what's happening, what should I do could I just replace the piston sleeve?