Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Air filter fell off upside down! >

Air filter fell off upside down!

Air filter fell off upside down!

Old 04-05-2012, 04:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Air filter fell off upside down!

At last i got my bullet through the break-in part. And began the process of trimming it (as descriped in the dvd.)

It really runs impressively fast... Have watched a lot of you-tube videos, but does'nt look as fast as it actually went.

Heres the nasty part..
As said I were trimming it, so I didnt have the body on at this point, but all of a sudden, when I turned, it flipped over, and the air filter fell off! And even worse.. the engine were stille running when I got over there!

It happened on pavement (parking lot), but theres allways alot of small rocks and ofc dust.

What should I do? Am I completely screwed now?
Should I completely tear the engine apart (havent tried it before, but hope the manual can help me), and clean? And can I clean it with nitro? I only have Nitro, and the after run / air filer -oil that came with the starter pack.

/artzter

Edit: Ouch, to fast when selecting the forum, should have been Nitro Off-road. Can we please move?

Last edited by artzter; 04-05-2012 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Wrong forum -.-
Old 04-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

What happened to the air filter? Since it was on pavement I doubt much of anything got in the engine.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Best bet would be to take it apart and clean it out. flushing it out with nitro will be fine. Make sure you clean the carb as well. When you take it apart make sure the piston is up in the compression stroke so that piston will clear the back plate and not get damaged when you pull the plate. After it is all cleaned use a little after run oil to reassemble the motor so the all the metal parts can slide easily together.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys.
It wont be running the next few days anyways. I have also found out that the glow plug is broken (wont glow, and I have charged the igniter), and its holliday so the shops aint open until saturday.

What a shame, it just began to ran without any problems at all (for the first time), and WOW it was fast
Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sriley View Post
What happened to the air filter? Since it was on pavement I doubt much of anything got in the engine.
+1
If the engine was idling the damage should have been at a minimum.
If you need a video to assist in breakin i would guess you have little know how when tearing apart an engine. That would be the best method but i think you'll end up with more problems.

Put the piston at the bottom of the stroke, take out the plug, put a little nitro down the hole and swish around a few times and turn engine upside down and flush out fuel. Do it twice if you feel you should.

Put a little nitro and the carbs and do the same.

Put in new plug, start it and have fun.

Put a new ziptie on air filter neck to avoid the same problem. If you were in dirt when this happened that motor would more than likely be trash.

Last edited by Franchise; 04-05-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Always use a tie-wrap to mount a airfilter.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Franchise View Post
If you need a video to assist in breakin i would guess have little know how when tearing apart an engine. That would be the best method but i think you'll end up with more problems.
You read my mind
I must admit I was'nt thrilled about doing it, and also why I consulted on the forum before doing anything.

Also thanks for the tip! I think thats the way I'll do it.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited View Post
Always use a tie-wrap to mount a airfilter.
Lesson learned
Old 04-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Franchise View Post
+1
If the engine was idling the damage should have been at a minimum.
If you need a video to assist in breakin i would guess have little know how when tearing apart an engine. That would be the best method but i think you'll end up with more problems.

Put the piston at the bottom of the stroke, take out the plug, put a little nitro down the hole and swish around a few times and turn engine upside down and flush out fuel. Do it twice if you feel you should.

Put a little nitro and the carbs and the same.

Put in new plug, start it and have fun.

Put a new sulfur on air filter neck to avoid the same problem. If you were in dirt when this happened that motor would more than likely be trash.
I too dumped my first truggy during break-in. When I walked over to flip it over, noticed the air filter was missing. I figured since the motor was still running when I got over to it, it must be fine. One of my buddy's suggested the above and it ran just perfect.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 305M3 View Post
I too dumped my first truggy during break-in. When I walked over to flip it over, noticed the air filter was missing. I figured since the motor was still running when I got over to it, it must be fine. One of my buddy's suggested the above and it ran just perfect.
Great
Thanks for the comfort