TORCO Nitro Fuel

Old 03-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I wish I could explain it Teuf, I ran Byrons exclusively for 2 years. Stopped about a year ago when I got accepted to team S&W (have since switched to VP)
At the time I had 5 engines that I would swap back and forth between. The worst run time in my buggy with any of the engines was the Force JL. Could not even make a 7 minute qualifier on 1 tank with Byron's. S&W and a new tune and same engine went up to 8-1/2 minutes until dry. Saw noticeable power increases and major run time advantages on all engines. Have same results with the VP fuel. I'm not a fuel expert by any means but for me the proof was in the results. If that has changed in the last year, please accept my apologies.
I worked on a engine he ran S&W good stuff everything was coated very nicely Neil is looking into the werks fuel for me thats the trade off when you live in paradise. Maybe I can ship to San Bernardino Ave
Fontana, CA I have a buiness friend which ships to Hawaii.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
When people are citing Byrons fuel, is it Gen2 or Pro Driver blend? The Gen2 at 11% oil will offer less performance and runtime than Pro Driver at 9%
I was running Pro Driver 9%.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1 View Post
I worked on a engine he ran S&W good stuff everything was coated very nicely Neil is looking into the werks fuel for me thats the trade off when you live in paradise. Maybe I can ship to San Bernardino Ave
Fontana, CA I have a buiness friend which ships to Hawaii.
Have you checked AMain for Werks fuel. By the case, you still get dinged on Hazmat, but they have free shipping. A case shipped to me was a few dollars cheaper than the CRE deal.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I wish I could explain it Teuf, I ran Byrons exclusively for 2 years. Stopped about a year ago when I got accepted to team S&W (have since switched to VP)
At the time I had 5 engines that I would swap back and forth between. The worst run time in my buggy with any of the engines was the Force JL. Could not even make a 7 minute qualifier on 1 tank with Byron's. S&W and a new tune and same engine went up to 8-1/2 minutes until dry. Saw noticeable power increases and major run time advantages on all engines. Have same results with the VP fuel. I'm not a fuel expert by any means but for me the proof was in the results. If that has changed in the last year, please accept my apologies.
No worries Jazz,

I was just courious as I have had the exact opposite results with the Byron's Gen2 as you had. With the old Gen1, it for sure didn't get the runtimes that I always thought it should. Though with the .12 in the old Nitro ST class, it always seemed to fair fairly well.

I'm sure that there are other fuels that do make more power and do yeild more runtime than others. How much is of that is used for marketing purposes, I have no idea. Yet there has to be somethign to it, otherwise there'd only be one fuel choice out there to run.

What I do know is that with the Byron's Gen2 Race 3000 (30-11) I do get plenty of runtime in a truggy. 8mm restrictor at about 5000 elev. and haven't had one complaint, other than no local shops carry the stuff. I don't know if they did anything to the fuel blend, or if the newer mills are in general, get better milage, or general driving style play a roll in whole or part as to why some get runtime and others don't with a given fuel.

I did use some of the Sidewinder Team Strike in a Reedy I had and it was stupid fast on that fuel, until I blew it up at a race. Fastest that mill had ever run, should have been an indicator of what was to come. LOL.

Basically if a racer finds a fuel that works for them, run it.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I found the exact same results as you did when I switched to cold fusion from byrons.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:27 AM
Tech Champion

Is pro driver that same as gen2? The only think I don't like about Byron's is its expensive and i get rust on some of my engines but found a solution for that. Did you run the additive all the time and how much oil did you use for my break in I bump it up to 14 percent
Old 03-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Tech Lord

Different racers and tracks and about 100 other things factor into runtimes. A friend and I were joking the other day about it. We were asking people is that actual runtime or "RC Tech" runtime . I have seen claims of 15 minutes in a truggy and just kinda shake my head. However, one racer, same track, same engine, pipe, plug, car, clutch, etc, etc and just pour a different fuel into your tank and re-tune and all the cold hard facts are right there for you to analyze.
From speaking with others, Nitrotane, and Sidewinder Strike are tops right now in power and runtime but also offer the least amount of engine protection. I chose VP Powermaster as my fuel because it is Nitrotane with some Castor oil for added protection. I could not be happier with the way it performs and protects my insane modified engines. There are lots of great fuels out there and I completely agree with Teufel about sticking with what works for you. Sounds like Jay is happy with the Byron's so case closed...
Old 03-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1 View Post
Is pro driver that same as gen2? The only think I don't like about Byron's is its expensive and i get rust on some of my engines but found a solution for that. Did you run the additive all the time and how much oil did you use for my break in I bump it up to 14 percent
Yes Gen2. They still make the race blend 11% oil and the pro driver 9%. Neal has been sending my engines pre-run but Monty was nice enough to send me some of the additive for extra protection until my engines lost metal pinch. I added the 2 OZ bottle Monty sent me to an entire gallon of gen 2 9%. Now I just stock the VP golden break in blend along with VP race blend. There are quite a few fuels that are not meant for engine break in and you guys should remember that as those fuels will hurt your engines if used for break in.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

OOps I replied to the wrong thread so I deleted it and repostedit where it belongs...
Old 05-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I am in Hawaii as well and have been using Byrons Pro Driver 9% since Hobbietat first asked them to bring it in. I have been beating the daylights out of my trucks and have had zero problems thus far...but now, as Jay mentioned, it appears that our hobby store is moving towards Torco fuel and I'd rather not change ("if it works, don't fix" it mentality). I have a few gallons of 9% left that I will use before I have to switch.

Back when I was racing my VW bug (1980s), I would bring in 5 gallon cans of VP 120 octane race fuel and I LOVED it. I was running 30 psi boost (like an idiot) on a 2.3 liter VW engine and never cracked a head, burnt a valve or threw a rod once I switched to that fuel. And as a bonus, it smelled better than any cologne on the market
Old 05-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Tech Champion

I spoke to Paula we need to make sure we voice what we want I told her if they don't bring in Byron's they will lose customers. A main won't ship werks fuel to Hawaii I already tried but I do add Byron lube additive since all my current engines are fresh and honestly I can't tell a difference since my mills screw like a mad man also I'm able to hit ten mins
Old 05-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I was there yesterday and mentioned that I was sort of partial to what I know and like, which is Byron's 30-9. Taka mentioned that Torco was the next-gen stuff, and when I asked about getting more Byron's, he said they're not sure. I would be willing to prepay for a case if they would place the order. A case lasts me a while these days
Old 05-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Tech Lord

Here in the states Byron's has an 8 case minimum order. I'm not sure what the requirements are for Hawaii dealers.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default My ACTUAL Comparisson

I have ran Torco (for almost 2 years) Byrons ( 2 months ) and now Nitrotane ( for about 4 months now) along with trying O'donnell and Sidewinder. The Torco is one of the best fuels I have ran to date. Had around 13 gallons on one of my Novarossi's with stock internals never being changed out. Runtime is just as good as I am currently getting with Nitrotane, about 12-13 minutes in buggy. Byrons for me was toward bottom of the scale. Almost 2 minutes less runtimes and a touch higher temps (30% pro driver). Currently running Nitrotane with no complaints at all. Great power and runtime seams to protect well. I have had zero issues with the 100% synthetic oil blend in the Torco.