Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Pipe Question - 2058 "Onroad" vs. "Offroad" >

Pipe Question - 2058 "Onroad" vs. "Offroad"

Pipe Question - 2058 "Onroad" vs. "Offroad"

Old 02-23-2012, 02:58 AM
Tech Champion

Default Pipe Question - 2058 "Onroad" vs. "Offroad"

I've been looking for a 2058 for a while now, and have now found a reasonably priced pipe only - no header - available, but it is listed as the "onroad" version.. So, two questions: 1.) is there a difference between the "onroad" and "offroad" versions?, and 2.) if not, and I get it, what kind of header should I use? Preferably one I already have - I have a bunch of pipes.. JP-4, 053, NR short and long for the 9901, RB 2087, 2063, 2047, 0801(don't want to mess with that one..), etc..

ps The brand is Sirio.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
I've been looking for a 2058 for a while now, and have now found a reasonably priced pipe only - no header - available, but it is listed as the "onroad" version.. So, two questions: 1.) is there a difference between the "onroad" and "offroad" versions?, and 2.) if not, and I get it, what kind of header should I use? Preferably one I already have - I have a bunch of pipes.. JP-4, 053, NR short and long for the 9901, RB 2087, 2063, 2047, 0801(don't want to mess with that one..), etc..

ps The brand is Sirio.
The onroad, and offroad 2058 pipes are the same. The only difference is the header that designates on, or offroad. The 2058 pipe will fit Novarossi headers, but the springs that hold it together will not all line up.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:55 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks. And what about the durability? I know a while ago people used to complain about Sirio pipe quality.. In pictures though this pipe looks exactly like the Nvision one at amain for ex...

Just for info, this pipe without header costs €40 shipped. The cheapest complete "offraod" pipeset with header would cost €100.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

When Sirio hit the market back in 2002, I bought the 2008 pipe and never had any durasbility issues (broken baffle, stinger, weak joints, etc) It held up well to probably over 20 gallons of off road abuse when I was a new 1/8 driver.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Sirio doesn't actually manufacture the 2058 or 2057 pipes themselves - LM makes them. Between Sirio, Orion, Werks, NVision and any other brand selling these pipes, none of them are manufactured by the company on the box/pipe. LM is the manufacturer and making all the pipes for the brands mentioned.

On my Orion 2057 it even says "By LM" just next to the Orion logo, so it's not like this is 'insider' information or that these brands are trying to hide the fact they don't manufacture all of their pipes in-house.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Tech Champion

That much is clear to me.. What's not is whether the "onroad" version is "different" from the offroad version in any way other than the manifold.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
That much is clear to me.. What's not is whether the "onroad" version is "different" from the offroad version in any way other than the manifold.
Only way you will ever know is to buy one of each and compare.. Until then none of us will know.. The Only other way I can think of is to ask Ron from Werks or Adrien Bertien. If they doesn't know, then the guy making them at the factory is the only guy that does.. I say that because Ron and Adrien are the engineers designing these things..
Old 02-24-2012, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottyM View Post
Only way you will ever know is to buy one of each and compare.. Until then none of us will know.. The Only other way I can think of is to ask Ron from Werks or Adrien Bertien. If they doesn't know, then the guy making them at the factory is the only guy that does.. I say that because Ron and Adrien are the engineers designing these things..

I have both pipes. They have the same dimensions, and internal cones. The offroad version has the pressure tap more inward. It's still the same distance from the end of the pipe. The location does not change performance, it only makes the pipe more suitable for where the preassure lines attach. The higher location for the onroad pipe is to keep the preassure line away from the side belt. More inward on the offroad so the body does not touch the preassure line.

I have used the offroad version on my on road cars, and onroad version on my buggy. There is no power, or tuning difference.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

Excellent info! Thanks Grinder.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Tech Champion

Here is also talked about an onroad and offroad version of one pipe made by LM:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...2013-pipe.html

As I did mention over there the number is an homologation number and that must mean that all pipes with that number must be the same as the one which was sended to the EFRA for the homologation. There can be no different pipes than only illegal copies.