R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Offroad Nitro Engine Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum-157/)
-   -   Engine dies.. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum/595919-engine-dies.html)

p@p@nut 02-06-2012 02:29 AM

Engine dies..

Hey guys i just need a little help since im new to nitro. I just installed a brand new o.s. speed 19xzb on my mp9. I can start the engine with minimal problems but when i remove the glow heater it dies. Ive left it on for more than 30 secs it still dies. I havent touched any of the needles yet. And when i leave it running for about 5mins the temp is quite low, not that hot to the touch. Could it be that the engine is to cold? Do i need to preheat it? Your help and advice is much appreciated. Please and thank you :)

filty addiction 02-06-2012 02:47 AM

is the glow plug new as i had this problem yesterday with a glow plug it would run fine and then if i took the igniter off it stalled. Changed glow plug and i was away.

psr 02-06-2012 03:05 AM

let the engine get warm and make sure the chassie is saturated small blips of the throatle will get it up then you should be fine and it should not die

then try the glow plug maybee its realy rich however you need to get the engine up to temp first

try heating itup with a hot heat gun first

blade954 02-06-2012 04:26 AM

Yes even if the Glow plug is new out the packet it may well be faulty i had some OS plugs do that few years back...

rossham46 02-06-2012 04:49 AM

Engine is too cold and too rich. Os default settingd are a bit too rich. Wrap aluminium foil around the heat sink and bump up the idle screw a bit.

Mark _australia 02-06-2012 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by rossham46 (Post 10284780)
Engine is too cold and too rich. Os default settingd are a bit too rich. Wrap aluminium foil around the heat sink and bump up the idle screw a bit.

Yes agreed

Popnut:
Read the break-in bible here .... it is important to get it hot before you start and keep it hot (talking like 200deg) by wrapping the head.
It needs to be blubbering rich with plenty of oil coming from the pipe and if you need to leave the igniter on for a couple of mins so be it. You will only have it on for the first couple of tanks and then you are leaning it a bit and driving so it probably won't be required

p@p@nut 02-06-2012 06:48 AM

The engine manual says "set the needle-valve(high speed) approx. 3 turns from the fully closed position if engine stops right after starting". Should i do this? I dont want to touch any of the needles before i break in the engine. Glow plug seems ok.

Roelof 02-06-2012 07:15 AM

With new engines it is wise to set the idle a bit higher.
And if it is cold outside I would wait until the temperature is better but it is possible you do need a hotter plug.

Mark _australia 02-06-2012 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by p@p@nut (Post 10285147)
The engine manual says "set the needle-valve(high speed) approx. 3 turns from the fully closed position if engine stops right after starting". Should i do this? I dont want to touch any of the needles before i break in the engine. Glow plug seems ok.

That is why I suggested you keep it hot and keep the ignitor on until it is well up to temp (about 200).... because I figured you would not want to lean it a little

No insult intended, but it sounds like you have little or no experience with break-in?
If that is the case I strongly suggest you read the break-in bible here and read lots of threads because you have a PREMIUM motor there and want to do it right

p@p@nut 02-06-2012 10:57 PM

Engine is running fine now :) Warmed up the engine using a hair dryer and foil, started it, bumped in the idle screw and now engine wont quit after glow heater removal. Broke it in as per the engine break in bible. All thats left is tuning. Thanks for the help guys :)