Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Wheels just won't stop spinning at idle >

Wheels just won't stop spinning at idle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wheels just won't stop spinning at idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

There are only a few things that will make the wheels spin at idle:

1) Idle speed too high
2) Clutch springs bad
3) Clutch bearings bad
4) Clutch bell hitting flywheel
5) All the above
Old 01-11-2012, 11:42 AM
8T
Tech Adept

Duplicate post!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:43 AM
8T
Tech Adept

Your wheels are turning because the clutch is engaging. End bell free play should be 0.5-1.0mm no more then that! Is your motor exactly 90deg to the spur gear, this is very important? If it is at a slight angle, it could be applying side pressure on the bell and forcing it engage with as much freeplay has you have. With the motor out, does the clutch bell spin freely? If your idle is that low, i don't think you have a radio/trim issue, it's with the clutch. Does it make a difference when you first start it as compared to after a few minutes of run time? Also as someone mentioned, does it creep when it's on the ground, or will it sit there? What kind of clutch shoes are you using?
Old 01-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8T
Your wheels are turning because the clutch is engaging. End bell free play should be 0.5-1.0mm no more then that! Is your motor exactly 90deg to the spur gear, this is very important? If it is at a slight angle, it could be applying side pressure on the bell and forcing it engage with as much freeplay has you have. With the motor out, does the clutch bell spin freely? If your idle is that low, i don't think you have a radio/trim issue, it's with the clutch. Does it make a difference when you first start it as compared to after a few minutes of run time? Also as someone mentioned, does it creep when it's on the ground, or will it sit there? What kind of clutch shoes are you using?
The clutch doesn't have to be engaging. There is enough friction in the bearings to make the wheels turn a little especially when the bearings are new. Like previously said, if it is on the ground and not stalling it should be fine.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (97%+)

I have an 8ight that does the exact same thing i think.. Lets say after i start it or press the gas and let off the gas the engine revs up when im off the gas and then the wheels spin but then after a couple seconds it goes to a nice idle.. its weird that it revs up like that when im not pressing the throttle. It only does this once and then it idles for forever without the wheels spinning. It doesnt die or anything when i place it on the ground and it runs perfect during a race running at perfect temps.. Its only when i first start it or after i press the throttle. Any ideas?
Old 01-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Clutch bearings.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for all the feedback. I have ruled out throttle/brake linkage as I have removed the linkage completely from the side carb and it still does it. Given it has only started doing this within the last couple of weeks something has obviously changed. The only thing that I haven't changed is bearings. Shoes, springs, clutch bell - all brand new. I will grab some replacements from the LHS and see if that brings any joy! If this doesn't work I will tear the entire down and start from scratch!
Old 01-13-2012, 03:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for all the input. The only thing that needed to be replaced were the clutch bearings! She is back to her screaming best!