Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
difference/advantage in ceramic rear bearing >

difference/advantage in ceramic rear bearing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

difference/advantage in ceramic rear bearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 155 (99%+)
Default difference/advantage in ceramic rear bearing

so i am looking at getting the novarossi btta or btt engine. of course the btta has steel bearings all te way around and the btt has the rear ceramic bearings. what is going to be the advantage of having the rear ceramic bearing? will it give me more/better performance? just looking for a little advice before i drop the extra $40 or so for the btt
thanks
Old 12-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skoalisbad4me
so i am looking at getting the novarossi btta or btt engine. of course the btta has steel bearings all te way around and the btt has the rear ceramic bearings. what is going to be the advantage of having the rear ceramic bearing? will it give me more/better performance? just looking for a little advice before i drop the extra $40 or so for the btt
thanks
Guarantee that if all of the engines running is controlled the ceramic bearing will last longer

Also there are no better ceramic engine bearings than novarossi

Imo the ceramic bearing is worth the extra couple bucks but in the end the choice is entirely up to you
Old 12-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

that is the info i was looking for.
thanks houston!!!
Old 12-12-2011, 03:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

How about on track performance? Can a club driver feel any difference between the steel bearing and the ceramic bearing? Anymore fuel mileage with the ceramic bearing? I'm on board with the ceramic bearings being better quality. But my steel bearings always last longer then my pinch.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:36 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by houston
Guarantee that if all of the engines running is controlled the ceramic bearing will last longer

Also there are no better ceramic engine bearings than novarossi

Imo the ceramic bearing is worth the extra couple bucks but in the end the choice is entirely up to you
Hmmm... with the Novarossi onroad engines a lot of people go back to steel bearings. The ceramic are crap while the steel bearings do last much longer. And a lot of guys did not notice a difference going back to steel......
Old 12-12-2011, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I have a OSXZB Speed engine which has over 10 gallons on it now. It lost pinch at around 7 gals so I gave it a pinch and not being able to help myself I flowed the engine and lightened the crank a little. Now over three gallons on the main bearing is still the original one and it is in perfect condition with no play and smooth as. With the flow work and mods I gained around a minute runtime and it just hammers.

We used to have to change out the main bearing in the VZB Speed engines around 2 1/2 gals due to the inner race starting to chip but the XZB for whatever reason last's and last's. I suspect the stronger crankcase and different balance of the crankshaft might have something to do with it.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Regular

This question came up not too long ago, here is the link to the discussion:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...ngs-steel.html
Old 12-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

thanks ambros. that was a big help
Old 12-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Tech Rookie

I think that is a fascinating element, it made me suppose a bit. Thanks for sparking my pondering cap. Occasionally I get such a lot in a rut that I simply feel like a record.