R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Old 11-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #31
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Good deal matt

If the bearing has had rust on the races you should replace it , the inside channel of the bearing races need to be perfectly smoooooth for proper operation

Hope it runs great for ya for a long time !

Btw that bearing size so ya know is 14x25.4x6mm, front bearings are pretty much all the same @ 7x19x6mm nova makes a few stepped inner race bearings that are 7x19x6x6.3mm

Hope this helps
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES /RC-OMG USA/ TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #32
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
Good deal matt

If the bearing has had rust on the races you should replace it , the inside channel of the bearing races need to be perfectly smoooooth for proper operation

Hope it runs great for ya for a long time !

Btw that bearing size so ya know is 14x25.4x6mm, front bearings are pretty much all the same @ 7x19x6mm nova makes a few stepped inner race bearings that are 7x19x6x6.3mm

Hope this helps
I appreciate the help. If it starts to make ANY noise again I will definitely be sending it your way for a bearing replacement and general inspection of everything. Might get a light pinch on it as well.

I tried the trick of holding your hand on the head while making noise and it didn't change a thing. Kept making noise. I felt around on the whole engine trying to pick up a vibration and couldn't. I have NO clue what it was but I will run it as long as it stays quiet. Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions.
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #33
Tech Master

Yearh, you can't always tell if bearings are worn out or not by inspecting them. A few month ago my good old NOSRAM just stopped from time to time within one tank of fuel. Everything seemed fine (no bearing play and noise, no leaks, no abnormal sounds, no broken plugs, no power degradation, no play in conrod/crank, still bonehard compression etc. etc.). I changed the bearings and everything was perfect again
I miss you Amy...
Lille-bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #34
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lille-bror View Post
Yearh, you can't always tell if bearings are worn out or not by inspecting them. A few month ago my good old NOSRAM just stopped from time to time within one tank of fuel. Everything seemed fine (no bearing play and noise, no leaks, no abnormal sounds, no broken plugs, no power degradation, no play in conrod/crank, still bonehard compression etc. etc.). I changed the bearings and everything was perfect again
Yeah I tore the engine all the way down. I checked the crank pin for roundness with my calipers, checked the piston and rod out for any marring, checked the crankcase for any marks, and felt the bearings. Both had zero side to side play and both felt smooth as could be. I could see what looked like some surface rust on the rear one but the balls and cage still looked good and spun smoothly.

I have no idea what caused this noise to come and go. For now I'm going to run it until either it blows or the noise comes back. I'm trying to find a new rod now so I can send it with the engine when I get new bearings and a pinch done.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #35
Suspended

I tore the engine back down again today. Both bearings are smooth as new bearings. Rod, crank, piston, and case all look like new inside. I still have the noise some now but I'm leaning towards it possibly being something vibrating on the truggy and not engine noise at all. Since everything seems perfect in the engine I need to check for anything loose on the truggy. I had already went over it as soon as the noise started but I'm going to recheck everything.

I have thought about changing out the rod just to eliminate that but the rod and crank pin seem good.

What could cause a rattling sound on a truggy? Brake calipers possibly?

Last edited by MattP; 12-08-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #36
Suspended

Well I ran the engine for about 2 hours almost tank after tank today. It ran perfect so I'm going to run it next year. Had great power and idled forever.

I had some fun all alone on my little backyard track:

Here's some pics from today:

Old 12-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #37
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

very "euro"

just messin with ya Matt , i wish i had enough room for a track in my backyard

glad the engine ran for ya
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES /RC-OMG USA/ TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #38
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
very "euro"

just messin with ya Matt , i wish i had enough room for a track in my backyard

glad the engine ran for ya
It's actually all nice clay underneath lol. The track still has some grass on it where I extended it late this year and never ran on it. I'm fixing to throw some whoops along with a triple and more clay on it soon.

Still pretty fun to have in my backyard......