Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Can an engine with a bad bearing still run perfectly? >

Can an engine with a bad bearing still run perfectly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can an engine with a bad bearing still run perfectly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Originally Posted by inferno13
i had a nova plus 4 that did this, i found out the pinch was tight and the knocking noise i heard was the pistion hitting pinch really hard. sounded like a rod knock in a 1:1 car. after engine was broken in after to tight of a pinch it no longer made the noise
It's broken in so it has a good amount of compression/pinch but nothing like a new engine does.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by awdcameolsx
Check if your crank pin is out of round with some calipers. If its not then pick up a rod from a tecnopower engine they are compatible with the ole GRP engines I belive. However check for corrosion or looseness of the rear bearing, I have had one that felt good but the car ran like crap till I changed it. However what your symptoms are sounds to be the rod. Previous owner may have had a run-away, or simply lied about engine age.
Just checked the crank and it isn't out of round at all.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by stallen50
ascendancy g5 rod will fit the grp
I will look for one real quick.

Amain doesn't even stock the parts for that engine. Where else could I find one?
Old 11-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tracktearer
If its engine noise. Its could be that your conrod bushing or the crank pin are worn. Check also the main bearing for play. These conditions will make the conrod hit wall of the crankcase resulting a loud noise and tuning issues. This happened to my picco(bearing) and grp(conrod).
I checked the bearings and all seem good. The crank is good. The conrod has a tiny bit of play in it but I'm not 110% sure how much is acceptable in a 2-3 gallon old engine?

Also inside the case looked good and I couldn't visually see any hit or wear marks on anything in the engine at all.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by romax
TQ speed lab rods will fit as well. Don't know if they are still available.
I already looked and couldn't find any.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lille-bror
Simple check on the rear bearing if you can hear a abnormal sound when the engine are running: At idle hold your hand on the head - don't burn yourself! If the abnormal sound disappears the rear bearing are defective. Change the front bearing at the same time.
I have a Picco doing the same thing- lots a noise. This trick worked just as written.

Thanks

On the other hand, I can't find any documentation that this engine ever existed, much less find a bearing for it. I guess I'll "run 'er till she blows"
Old 11-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

i had a cracked head that made a noise before on a go 5port. once the middle fin broke off the noise went away.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:25 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by R/C Lidz
I have a Picco doing the same thing- lots a noise. This trick worked just as written.

Thanks

On the other hand, I can't find any documentation that this engine ever existed, much less find a bearing for it. I guess I'll "run 'er till she blows"
I'm definitely going to try this trick today.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:26 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by j_blaze14
i had a cracked head that made a noise before on a go 5port. once the middle fin broke off the noise went away.
I will take a good look at the head today as well. It was bought used to so it could have taken some good hits that I don't know about.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MattP
I checked the bearings and all seem good. The crank is good. The conrod has a tiny bit of play in it but I'm not 110% sure how much is acceptable in a 2-3 gallon old engine?

Also inside the case looked good and I couldn't visually see any hit or wear marks on anything in the engine at all.
There should be no visible play. If there is:
New crankpin=5.00mm, replace conrod
Bad crankpin =4.95mm, replace both
Old 11-27-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

just pull the rear bearing out and measure it then go to a-main or boca or avid and type in the size

Ryan
Old 11-27-2011, 06:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks

the Picco will use the same standard bearings a V-Spec would
Old 11-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

thanks Neal!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tracktearer
There should be no visible play. If there is:
New crankpin=5.00mm, replace conrod
Bad crankpin =4.95mm, replace both
Well to my surprise after running more fuel through it today the noise went completely away.......

I bought this engine used. Is it possible it had sat for so long that the bearings were rusted or gunked up causing engine noise and after I put some fuel through it that they got lubricated and quit making noise?

I just put a whole tank through it and it never once made a noise.....
Old 11-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Good to hear. With your described sounds I was leaning to to rear bearing going. When I flew helis the os 50 would make the same type of noises when the rear bearing was going. It would look OK bt sound very bad when running and if it went it would wipe out everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.