R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Offroad Nitro Engine Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum-157/)
-   -   Burning Up Glowplugs (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum/571551-burning-up-glowplugs.html)

traxxas-owns 11-24-2011 07:01 PM

Burning Up Glowplugs

My brother has a traxxas t-maxx and he started having the problem of burning up glow plugs. I have looked at it and tuned the carburator for him, but can't figure out why he has burned up 3 already. The glow plugs aren't defective because this has happened 3 times within 1 week. I make sure the engine runs super rich so it's not that it's too lean, any ideas will be appreciated.

Matt Piva 11-24-2011 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by traxxas-owns (Post 9955202)
My brother has a traxxas t-maxx and he started having the problem of burning up glow plugs. I have looked at it and tuned the carburator for him, but can't figure out why he has burned up 3 already. The glow plugs aren't defective because this has happened 3 times within 1 week. I make sure the engine runs super rich so it's not that it's too lean, any ideas will be appreciated.

In my experience it's rod bushings that cause issues with plugs

traxxas-owns 11-24-2011 07:18 PM

I am sort of new to rc, what is the rod bushing?

Matt Piva 11-24-2011 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by traxxas-owns (Post 9955258)
I am sort of new to rc, what is the rod bushing?

It's the brass bushing between the rod n crank pin (that didn't make it any easier for u lol) anyways it make b blown n causing lil pieces to chew up the plugs. Whenever I blow a plug I use an old plug out of another good engine thats still strong to replace n try out incase I have a bushing that goes, it usually doesn't take long to blow again n if it does u no it's that, but if ur blowing plugs like 1 time a day n running alot then it's tune cause a rod won't last long it just tears up the plug.

Frank L 11-24-2011 08:11 PM

Can you post a pic of what the plug on the coil side looks like. Plugs usually blow due to bad tuning when they go fast. An engine that is too rich will pop plugs too

hdcruzer 11-24-2011 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 9955435)
Can you post a pic of what the plug on the coil side looks like. Plugs usually blow due to bad tuning when they go fast. An engine that is too rich will pop plugs too

Yep what frank said too rich an engine will blow plugs too.

Lille-bror 11-25-2011 07:04 AM

Dirt through the engine.

Defective ball bearings.

If the crankshaft isn't draged all the way to the front of the engine, before the flywheel were mounted, the crankshaft will scratch on the backplate and send metal parts through the engine.

traxxas-owns 11-25-2011 04:29 PM

Can anyone post schematics of the engine with the bushings pointed out so I know what to look at?

8T 11-26-2011 01:32 PM

Also check the top of the piston for to much carbon build-up. That could cause blown plugs too! If there's a lot of carbon, clean the top of the piston and the head with some 0000 steel wool.