Exhaust Coolers....

Old 11-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Exhaust Coolers....

I understand the concept of a fuel cooler, I think. It's premise is to keep the exhaust gases from heating the fuel in the tank. The cooler the fuel the more power is gained from the combustion process.

But, How does it cool the exhaust in the pressure line when the exhaust is static? Or is it? I have a pretzel in my head.

This might belong in the Engine Thread, sorry. I dunno.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Limywidget View Post
I understand the concept of a fuel cooler, I think. It's premise is to keep the exhaust gases from heating the fuel in the tank. The cooler the fuel the more power is gained from the combustion process.

But, How does it cool the exhaust in the pressure line when the exhaust is static? Or is it? I have a pretzel in my head.

This might belong in the Engine Thread, sorry. I dunno.

The "concept" of a fuel cooler is to get more run time by not heating the fuel in the tank but IMO they don't work, more of a "gimmick" being you don't have that much "HOT" exhaust blowing into the tank..
Old 11-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

ive ran exhaust coolers in the past, they work very well, however i had no run time gain or anything like that, i just had a ver consistant tune, it would not change at all throughout the tune. i just think some are a tad over priced, but they do work very well. but they arent on my buggies and truggies now.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY
Old 11-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
ive ran exhaust coolers in the past, they work very well, however i had no run time gain or anything like that, i just had a ver consistant tune, it would not change at all throughout the tune. i just think some are a tad over priced, but they do work very well. but they arent on my buggies and truggies now.
+1

I made one myself in a kind of radiator style and indeed I could not find any extra runtime but I did get a more stable tuning.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:06 AM
Tech Adept

I bought lots from Ferioni to Novarossi and RB, in the end they just sit in my toolbox. I think they are all marketing ploy since Ive not read any study supporting their use. IMO the secret to good engine tuning is in the tuning and pipe itself and not with any gadget that you attach to the engine such as the cooler. I am here in the middle east and when the weather is hot, the whole car itself is really hot and definitely not even an exhaust cooler can impact a change.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just more ways for fuel to leak out and air to leak in. this is one place where less is more. all mine have been removed.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

For the guys in this thread that still use or used them, do you think your tuning skills got better and do not need it any more OR, if it did work so well how come you do not use one now?

I guess my question is if they work so well, why does a manufacturer not put one in the box with a new kit? I mean, they are not that expensive to make. I don't hear any big names taking the time to thank a fuel cooler company or anyone really talking about it anywhere. The fastest and the slowest guys at any track I go to do not use them.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

This is the one I run. Its very affordable and a solid design. No nipples are screwed on, so no chances of any leaks.

http://www.vp-pro-usa.com/rc-parts-a...category_id=20

Old 11-11-2011, 05:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BlueStreakOne View Post
just more ways for fuel to leak out and air to leak in. this is one place where less is more. all mine have been removed.
+1 on that
Old 11-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, when these came of a few years ago, I remember Drake pitted at like 14 mins at Silver State. It may not have been that long but it was WAY longer than anyone else. After that ALOT of people brought these coolers thinking they will gain 900 mins per tank. Do these actually work, I cant say yes or no BUT they are popular with in Pr Drivers in all nitro categories. On Road or Off. I think that in order to feel or see the difference, you must know everything about tuning your engine and it must be tuned dam near perfect.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

alot of the feed back i've gotten is a more stable tune (just like this thread), drake probably will push 12+mins regardless.. but they aren't too expensive. just try one out
Old 11-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ive used them on and off, there is a 20 to 30 second notice on a tank, no much but will come in handy when needed
Old 11-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

I don't see the difference whether Drake "or anyone for that matter" gets 13 or 14 min, 20 seconds or 30 seconds longer. If you run a 15 min main, for the most part you need to pit unless you have a magic engine, 20 min main you need to pit, 30 min main, you need to pit 2 times. For me, I'll pit at 5-6-7-8-9 in a 15 min main depending on the track, who I'm racing with or how I'm doing. You have to pit, you have to pit.

I don't see the meager amounts of exhaust that does go into the tank heating fuel in the 9-13 min it takes to use it all up. I can hold my hand 2 mm from the pipe tip right after a race, idle a whole tank ETC. without my hand getting "burnt"...

For "hot" exhaust to heat up fuel, it has to be flowing over it constantly. For exhaust to flow over fuel in a RC tank constantly, you have a tank leak and bigger problems to deal with let alone "more run time" lol..

Psychosomatic? Quite possibly...

Again, Gimmick if you ask me...
Old 11-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by got_nitro View Post
I don't see the difference whether Drake "or anyone for that matter" gets 13 or 14 min, 20 seconds or 30 seconds longer. If you run a 15 min main, for the most part you need to pit unless you have a magic engine, 20 min main you need to pit, 30 min main, you need to pit 2 times. For me, I'll pit at 5-6-7-8-9 in a 15 min main depending on the track, who I'm racing with or how I'm doing. You have to pit, you have to pit.

I don't see the meager amounts of exhaust that does go into the tank heating fuel in the 9-13 min it takes to use it all up. I can hold my hand 2 mm from the pipe tip right after a race, idle a whole tank ETC. without my hand getting "burnt"...

For "hot" exhaust to heat up fuel, it has to be flowing over it constantly. For exhaust to flow over fuel in a RC tank constantly, you have a tank leak and bigger problems to deal with let alone "more run time" lol..

Psychosomatic? Quite possibly...

Again, Gimmick if you ask me...
true, but i think a lot of us including myself ......lets say a 15 minute main do better in the last 5 to 7 minutes than the first 5 to 7 minutes of the race, there fore pitting early and being able to make the rest of the main in runtime makes a differnce. if i pit on first 2 laps and know i can make it on the last 11-12 minutes (which i normally run better) then it is worth it to pit early and have a 12 minute runtime. make sense?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service