Exhaust Coolers....

Reply

Old 11-10-2011, 08:07 PM
  #1  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Limywidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,492
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Exhaust Coolers....

I understand the concept of a fuel cooler, I think. It's premise is to keep the exhaust gases from heating the fuel in the tank. The cooler the fuel the more power is gained from the combustion process.


But, How does it cool the exhaust in the pressure line when the exhaust is static? Or is it? I have a pretzel in my head.


This might belong in the Engine Thread, sorry. I dunno.
Limywidget is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:23 PM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Limywidget View Post
I understand the concept of a fuel cooler, I think. It's premise is to keep the exhaust gases from heating the fuel in the tank. The cooler the fuel the more power is gained from the combustion process.


But, How does it cool the exhaust in the pressure line when the exhaust is static? Or is it? I have a pretzel in my head.


This might belong in the Engine Thread, sorry. I dunno.

The "concept" of a fuel cooler is to get more run time by not heating the fuel in the tank but IMO they don't work, more of a "gimmick" being you don't have that much "HOT" exhaust blowing into the tank..
got_nitro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:32 PM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (7)
 
jmaxey51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 3,917
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

ive ran exhaust coolers in the past, they work very well, however i had no run time gain or anything like that, i just had a ver consistant tune, it would not change at all throughout the tune. i just think some are a tad over priced, but they do work very well. but they arent on my buggies and truggies now.
jmaxey51 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:27 PM
  #4  
Tech Master
iTrader: (25)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perth, West Australia.
Posts: 1,246
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY
smelly62 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:20 AM
  #5  
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 7,242
Default

Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
ive ran exhaust coolers in the past, they work very well, however i had no run time gain or anything like that, i just had a ver consistant tune, it would not change at all throughout the tune. i just think some are a tad over priced, but they do work very well. but they arent on my buggies and truggies now.
+1

I made one myself in a kind of radiator style and indeed I could not find any extra runtime but I did get a more stable tuning.
Roelof is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:06 AM
  #6  
Tech Adept
 
Medic RC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 160
Default

I bought lots from Ferioni to Novarossi and RB, in the end they just sit in my toolbox. I think they are all marketing ploy since Ive not read any study supporting their use. IMO the secret to good engine tuning is in the tuning and pipe itself and not with any gadget that you attach to the engine such as the cooler. I am here in the middle east and when the weather is hot, the whole car itself is really hot and definitely not even an exhaust cooler can impact a change.
Medic RC8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:02 AM
  #7  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
BlueStreakOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Posts: 479
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

just more ways for fuel to leak out and air to leak in. this is one place where less is more. all mine have been removed.
BlueStreakOne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:37 AM
  #8  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

For the guys in this thread that still use or used them, do you think your tuning skills got better and do not need it any more OR, if it did work so well how come you do not use one now?

I guess my question is if they work so well, why does a manufacturer not put one in the box with a new kit? I mean, they are not that expensive to make. I don't hear any big names taking the time to thank a fuel cooler company or anyone really talking about it anywhere. The fastest and the slowest guys at any track I go to do not use them.
got_nitro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:39 AM
  #9  
Tech Master
iTrader: (11)
 
JoeyTheRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 1,901
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

This is the one I run. Its very affordable and a solid design. No nipples are screwed on, so no chances of any leaks.

http://www.vp-pro-usa.com/rc-parts-a...category_id=20

JoeyTheRocket is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:57 AM
  #10  
Tech Adept
 
Medic RC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 160
Default

Originally Posted by BlueStreakOne View Post
just more ways for fuel to leak out and air to leak in. this is one place where less is more. all mine have been removed.
+1 on that
Medic RC8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:05 AM
  #11  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 303
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Well, when these came of a few years ago, I remember Drake pitted at like 14 mins at Silver State. It may not have been that long but it was WAY longer than anyone else. After that ALOT of people brought these coolers thinking they will gain 900 mins per tank. Do these actually work, I cant say yes or no BUT they are popular with in Pr Drivers in all nitro categories. On Road or Off. I think that in order to feel or see the difference, you must know everything about tuning your engine and it must be tuned dam near perfect.
geejay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:42 PM
  #12  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (14)
 
t8rtot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,010
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

alot of the feed back i've gotten is a more stable tune (just like this thread), drake probably will push 12+mins regardless.. but they aren't too expensive. just try one out
t8rtot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:43 PM
  #13  
Suspended
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 92
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

ive used them on and off, there is a 20 to 30 second notice on a tank, no much but will come in handy when needed
race2win is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:18 PM
  #14  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

I don't see the difference whether Drake "or anyone for that matter" gets 13 or 14 min, 20 seconds or 30 seconds longer. If you run a 15 min main, for the most part you need to pit unless you have a magic engine, 20 min main you need to pit, 30 min main, you need to pit 2 times. For me, I'll pit at 5-6-7-8-9 in a 15 min main depending on the track, who I'm racing with or how I'm doing. You have to pit, you have to pit.

I don't see the meager amounts of exhaust that does go into the tank heating fuel in the 9-13 min it takes to use it all up. I can hold my hand 2 mm from the pipe tip right after a race, idle a whole tank ETC. without my hand getting "burnt"...

For "hot" exhaust to heat up fuel, it has to be flowing over it constantly. For exhaust to flow over fuel in a RC tank constantly, you have a tank leak and bigger problems to deal with let alone "more run time" lol..

Psychosomatic? Quite possibly...


Again, Gimmick if you ask me...
got_nitro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:25 PM
  #15  
Suspended
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 92
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by got_nitro View Post
I don't see the difference whether Drake "or anyone for that matter" gets 13 or 14 min, 20 seconds or 30 seconds longer. If you run a 15 min main, for the most part you need to pit unless you have a magic engine, 20 min main you need to pit, 30 min main, you need to pit 2 times. For me, I'll pit at 5-6-7-8-9 in a 15 min main depending on the track, who I'm racing with or how I'm doing. You have to pit, you have to pit.

I don't see the meager amounts of exhaust that does go into the tank heating fuel in the 9-13 min it takes to use it all up. I can hold my hand 2 mm from the pipe tip right after a race, idle a whole tank ETC. without my hand getting "burnt"...

For "hot" exhaust to heat up fuel, it has to be flowing over it constantly. For exhaust to flow over fuel in a RC tank constantly, you have a tank leak and bigger problems to deal with let alone "more run time" lol..

Psychosomatic? Quite possibly...


Again, Gimmick if you ask me...
true, but i think a lot of us including myself ......lets say a 15 minute main do better in the last 5 to 7 minutes than the first 5 to 7 minutes of the race, there fore pitting early and being able to make the rest of the main in runtime makes a differnce. if i pit on first 2 laps and know i can make it on the last 11-12 minutes (which i normally run better) then it is worth it to pit early and have a 12 minute runtime. make sense?
race2win is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service