Exhaust Coolers....

Old 11-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by got_nitro View Post
I had this long reply typed out to slap you around but I thought nah..

A couple of degrees in fuel temp could be the ambient temp out side any given day.

Nice try..... Psychosomatic, look it up!
Is that where you can start fires with your thoughts?

Last edited by Limywidget; 11-16-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No, psychosomatic is relating to a disorder having physical symptoms but originating from mental or emotional causes. What it has to do with this I'm pretty baffled about but maybe got_nitro can explain it. Have you ever picked up a book or anything, you could have typed out a long winded load of gibberish which would have made as much sense as anything else you've written on this thread.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by madac View Post
No, psychosomatic is relating to a disorder having physical symptoms but originating from mental or emotional causes. What it has to do with this I'm pretty baffled about but maybe got_nitro can explain it. Have you ever picked up a book or anything, you could have typed out a long winded load of gibberish which would have made as much sense as anything else you've written on this thread.

It's funny that this thread has gotten so outta hand...Its an exhaust cooler people.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Limywidget View Post
Is that where you can start fires with your thoughts?
Not if your using a brain thought cooler I run em' and I like em', really all that matters to me. Be hard to convince me having a direct line from a 280 to 300 degree pipe into my fuel tank won't have a heat effect on my fuel. And for those that run rich what percentage is your fuel oil ratio with a direct dump line into the tank.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pntmachine View Post
Not if your using a brain thought cooler I run em' and I like em', really all that matters to me. Be hard to convince me having a direct line from a 280 to 300 degree pipe into my fuel tank won't have a heat effect on my fuel. And for those that run rich what percentage is your fuel oil ratio with a direct dump line into the tank.
I am not taking sides here coz I don't know. But for the exhaust to actually "heat" the fuel wouldn't the exhaust have to "flow" through the tank. The only time it will "flow" through the tank is when the lid is open.

I would suggest that the exhaust pressure is stagnant to the tank. So once the engine is started the volume of the pressure line and the tank is filled with a "Static" pressure. How would a finned heat exchanger change the temp when the exhaust is not moving through the line it is installed in?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

It would basically be a single pass heat exchanger. If it would circulate through the pressure line/exhaust cooler I would be convinced that it would be effective without even using one.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know it's just an exhaust cooler and for the $14 I spent on mine, it was worth it and to anyone else if you want to try it, try it but don't down play it if you've never used one. To each his own as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

I know it's just an exhaust cooler and for the $14 I spent on mine, it was worth it and to anyone else if you want to try it, try it but don't down play it if you've never used one. To each his own as far as I'm concerned.
Granted, but if I install one I want to know if the actual benefits out weigh the potential leaks/problems with the addition of two more connections...
Old 11-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Limywidget View Post
It would basically be a single pass heat exchanger. If it would circulate through the pressure line/exhaust cooler I would be convinced that it would be effective without even using one.

Thank you!

This is what I have said since page 1 lol.. Some people only read the last few postes..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For the others....

The thought of a "rubber tube" carring any "heat" to a "plasitc" fuel tank and heating up fuel with "static" pressure is just asinine! I could possibly understand if the lines were metal with a metal tank but this is not the case Einsteins...

Gee, ever think that the heat from the engine under the lid actually heats up the aluminum fins on your "exhaust cooler" and makes it even hotter? Maybe thats the reason why some have found it hotter then the line. Not only will they try to get rid of heat (if there was any in the line to begin with) but they also attract heat!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Nice thread Limy
Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Oh yeah, lets not forget where your pipe is on your car, RIGHT NEXT TO THE FUEL TANK... Yeah, I'm sure that part helps keep the "fuel cooler"
Old 11-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Placebo effects come to mind. They can be very strong.

Personally, I'd rather spend the money on some burgers and beer. yum.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Found this in an old exhaust cooler argument thread. This article has some actual testing but using a heli.

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/a...rticles_id=172
Old 11-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Wow, an average of 43 deg cooler....

Looks like that would be a definitive win for the exhaust cooler. Especially when you would consider that our buggies/truggies will run anywhere from a 20 min main to an hour in some cases.

Granted that heli's might run hotter than our engines, I dunno. But if they did I imagine that might facilitate a greater delta across the cooler. Same principle though, it sounds like it would still cool....

Still don't know how it works, hehehe.

But, looks like this guy/gal did the test as best as possible, copper tube, sponge....

Nice find...
Old 11-17-2011, 11:33 PM
Tech Addict

Got to ask where you got the 43 degree figure from?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service