R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Old 11-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #46
am
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I am for pre-heating 100% for racing.......I just find it keeps the tune much more stable during your time on the track...It also gives you more time to dial in your tune during warm up if needed....The engine is crispy and on pipe in no time.....no need to wait for your engine to warm up......... IMO people would have far less tuning issues if they always started with a properly pre-heated engine....... This season I did some back to back testing between using my comp heat and not using my comp heat, there was no comparison......Pre-heating makes things much easier and much more stable, no question about it......
I see your point of view, and Montys also, what i find a little curious is that none of you says it prolongs engine life that evryone else is pointing out. You two are amongst the moast experienced engine guys on this forum.

Monty pointed out to me that it would be beneficial for the crankpin and rod, but thats abaout it.

One question, do you belive that it is harder on the rod/pin to run out of fuel at WOT on the straight, than not preheating your engine before you start it cold? I strongly belive that pin/rod gets alot more abuse when running out of fuel at WOT.
Top Elite distributor Norway
am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #47
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by am View Post
I see your point of view, and Montys also, what i find a little curious is that none of you says it prolongs engine life that evryone else is pointing out. You two are amongst the moast experienced engine guys on this forum.

Monty pointed out to me that it would be beneficial for the crankpin and rod, but thats abaout it.

One question, do you belive that it is harder on the rod/pin to run out of fuel at WOT on the straight, than not preheating your engine before you start it cold? I strongly belive that pin/rod gets alot more abuse when running out of fuel at WOT.

running out of fuel at WOT is more damaging without question.....I have never done any longevity tests with pre-heating so its hard for me to comment...However the tune stability advantage is definite and easily proven.....
Old 11-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #48
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

after break in and pinch is gone i never pre heat my engine, really no need to if the pinch is gone. the pinch is the main reason for pre heating. i can see where it might help a race tune though
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #49
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

A few times this year I have gone out for the 5 min warm upbefor the race and the motor felt a little rich but I opted to leave it figuring I would heat up and level out come race time. Wrong!

Since using a preheater my motors have always been spot on tune while racing. I know within minutes weather it's rich or lean or perfect and have plenty of time to adjust before the race starts.

Money well spent in my Opinion.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #50
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider313 View Post
A few times this year I have gone out for the 5 min warm upbefor the race and the motor felt a little rich but I opted to leave it figuring I would heat up and level out come race time. Wrong!

Since using a preheater my motors have always been spot on tune while racing. I know within minutes weather it's rich or lean or perfect and have plenty of time to adjust before the race starts.

Money well spent in my Opinion.
only because you sell them...LOL, Just kiddin, i can definitly see the benifits from pre heating.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #51
Tech Addict

I thought you were supposed to do it like the Pro's to get it warm for race tuning. You start it in your pit and rev it on the box 15 mins before your race. Then you move it into pit lane behind all the other pit guys while there still racing and rev it for another 5, then your pit guy walks it thru SILENT check in while you rev it some more. Then back on pit lane to rev another 5 then its off for your 2 minute warm up. LMFAO sounds like an engine warmers a good thing.
Team Byrons Racing Fuels
pntmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #52
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pntmachine View Post
I thought you were supposed to do it like the Pro's to get it warm for race tuning. You start it in your pit and rev it on the box 15 mins before your race. Then you move it into pit lane behind all the other pit guys and rev it for another 5, then your pit guy walks it thru SILENT check in while you rev it some more. Then back on pit lane to rev another 5 then its off for your 2 minute warm up. LMFAO sounds like an engine warmers a good thing.
LOL, it is hard to pre heat your engine if you run 6 classes at the local track unless you can talk the wife into helping..
Old 11-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #53
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno13 View Post
LOL, it is hard to pre heat your engine if you run 6 classes at the local track unless you can talk the wife into helping..
Now that would be what racers would consider a true sweetheart. LOL
Team Byrons Racing Fuels
pntmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #54
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pntmachine View Post
Now that would be what racers would consider a true sweetheart. LOL
i guess my wife is not a true sweetheart, please dont quote this message as it will self destruct soon hopeing she will not see it..
Old 11-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #55
am
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
running out of fuel at WOT is more damaging without question.....I have never done any longevity tests with pre-heating so its hard for me to comment...However the tune stability advantage is definite and easily proven.....
Thank you niel. For all your points i belive this is tru. It can make life easyer when you are a racer. I hope you understand what i am trying to say in all of my posts. Many people try to convince others that if you do get an engine haeter, you will save mony on the other end. Is this right? I am in the belive that using you mony on other things that you actually needs to go racing is by far more important than prehating. If you abseloutly need to preheat, go to walmart or even cheaper stores and get a cheapas heatgun. It will do the same but with a bit more work.

I would like to ask evryone here, have you never ran an engine out of fuel at wot? I think moast people have done this, on several engines.

I will let this go now as i think evryone has understod what i am trying to say.

Happy racing evryone!!
Old 11-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #56
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:

The FACTS are:
.Preheating WILL prolong the engines life
.Preheating will give you better runtime because engines use more fuel when they are warming themselves up after a cold start
.Preheating will help you achieve an optimum tune FASTER
.Engine heaters are NOT a marketing gimmick BECAUSE it DOES have beneficial use for its users and does exactly what its supposed to
Old 11-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #57
Suspended

Quote:
Thank you niel. For all your points i belive this is tru. It can make life easyer when you are a racer. I hope you understand what i am trying to say in all of my posts. Many people try to convince others that if you do get an engine haeter, you will save mony on the other end. Is this right? I am in the belive that using you mony on other things that you actually needs to go racing is by far more important than prehating. If you abseloutly need to preheat, go to walmart or even cheaper stores and get a cheapas heatgun. It will do the same but with a bit more work.

I would like to ask evryone here, have you never ran an engine out of fuel at wot? I think moast people have done this, on several engines.

I will let this go now as i think evryone has understod what i am trying to say.

Happy racing evryone!!
i never like to run out of fuel, that is almost worst that not pre heating if there is pinch left. at end of tank when starving for fuel it also starves for lubracation.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #58
am
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERROTTO View Post
The FACTS are:
.Preheating WILL prolong the engines life
.Preheating will give you better runtime because engines use more fuel when they are warming themselves up after a cold start
.Preheating will help you achieve an optimum tune FASTER
.Engine heaters are NOT a marketing gimmick BECAUSE it DOES have beneficial use for its users and does exactly what its supposed to

Point one, not a fact
point two, not a fact
point three, probely right
point three, yes, this i belive in
Old 11-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #59
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:

Happy racing evryone!!
You do save money in that you do not waste nearly as much fuel warming up your engine...I would say you save about 1/2 -3/4 tank per race........I know it doesn't sound like much, but it does add up.....
Old 11-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #60
am
Tech Master

Yes, you are right but if you see it in a bigger scale, you will need batteries or electricity to power it up. Maybe you need one more charger, or one more extensioncord.. There are many ways to see it :-)