R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Offroad Nitro Engine Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum-157/)
-   -   engine flames out when hot then hard to start. whats wrong? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum/552318-engine-flames-out-when-hot-then-hard-start-whats-wrong.html)

schmoey 09-19-2011 01:14 PM

engine flames out when hot then hard to start. whats wrong?

the engine flames out when it gets hot and flames out then it is hard to start until it cools down. does it need a rebuild? or what?

losi_racer 09-19-2011 01:17 PM

Sounds like your piston and sleeve are worn out and.have.no.compression

AMorgan 09-19-2011 01:26 PM

I agree, the most likely candidate is a engine that's worn itself out. I'd recommend a new motor over a new piston and sleeve since you'll also get new bearings, con rod, etc. but a rebuild will save you a bit of cash.

got_nitro 09-19-2011 01:55 PM

Could be your tune. Is your LSN lean enough and idle screw set to run a .5, .6mm gap?

I don't recommend a new anything if thats not the problem. I do however recommend a pinch.:nod: Best $20 you can spend in this game IMO!

xxxntwv 09-19-2011 04:21 PM

Is the engine too lean and over heating?Its hard to find the problem without seeing the engine.If it has good compression then its tune is off.Probably too lean and overheating causing it to vapor lock.

j_blaze14 09-19-2011 05:02 PM

or vapor lock

Rcrenew 09-22-2011 10:09 AM

+1 if the compression is strong the engine could be overheating due to an air leak or lean cindition which would cause it to not start until it cools down. Also the compression could be weak and when the engine gets up to temp the metals are fully expanded and compression gets even weaker and it will not want to stay running.

Check your compression first if its strong, check your tuning or check for an air leak. If the compression is weak that may be the problem right there.

Lance
RcRenew.com

schmoey 09-22-2011 10:23 AM

thanks guys, it has good compression when its cool but when it gets hot it losses compression. would getting the sleeve pinched help?

toofless 09-22-2011 04:25 PM

re

a pinch will help if there is no scratches on the piston or sleeve

Losimoe 09-22-2011 05:57 PM

happened to one of my cheap rtr engine before when i was starting out RC. it turns out that the carby gets too hot and vaporizes the fuel as it enters it. So no fuel can enter the combustion chamber. at least that was my conclusion.

When it happen again, try and spray things like motor spray/ nitro cleaner/ or even methylated spirit all around the carb concentrating on the carb nipple. If it starts, then you know what the problem might be.

vw addict 09-22-2011 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Losimoe (Post 9691894)

When it happen again, try and spray things like motor spray/ nitro cleaner/ or even methylated spirit all around the carb concentrating on the carb nipple. If it starts, then you know what the problem might be.

I believe that just means your carb is loose, just tighten it, or seal it if it is really leaking.

Rcrenew 09-25-2011 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by schmoey (Post 9690352)
thanks guys, it has good compression when its cool but when it gets hot it losses compression. would getting the sleeve pinched help?

Yes, if the compression is low a "pinch" or resizing will correct that and get it back to like new compression and seal.. Check out our website for more info.

Lance,
RcRenew.com

inferno13 09-25-2011 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by schmoey (Post 9677340)
the engine flames out when it gets hot and flames out then it is hard to start until it cools down. does it need a rebuild? or what?

lance can hook ya up!

Originally Posted by Rcrenew (Post 9702695)
Yes, if the compression is low a "pinch" or resizing will correct that and get it back to like new compression and seal.. Check out our website for more info.

Lance,
RcRenew.com

sounds like a pinch is in the future to me.

Kevin_M 09-25-2011 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by schmoey (Post 9690352)

If you have the time to wait between race days get a hold of Lance at RCRENEW.com he can hook you up with what you need. He has A+ customer service. See what he says maybe send him your motor to look at and he will let you know that same day.

nitroexpress 09-25-2011 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by schmoey (Post 9677340)

What brand/size of engine do you have?