Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
do light weight flywheels make rc cars go faster? >

do light weight flywheels make rc cars go faster?

do light weight flywheels make rc cars go faster?

Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Exclamation do light weight flywheels make rc cars go faster?

just wonting to find out weather light weight flywheels make radio control nitro cars off road or on road go faster. i read somewhere that light weight fly wheels make engine rev harder but docent make it go faster just makes it appear faster it was kind of confusing wasnt to sure weather it was refereeing to real cars or radio control cars just wonting to find out ways to make my nitro hsp 1/10th scale off road buggy go fast with stock engine i already have ball bearings installed and the upgraded dog bones im going to get custom metal 47t spur gear made and ive bought the 42t metal spur gear upgrade off myrc. i read that the 2 speed clutch sucks on the hsp dose any one know what other 2 speed clutch will fit a hsp? i noticed the transmission assembly was very similar to the hpi rs4 evo will the hpi 2 speed clutch work in a hsp? they look very similar in design
Old 08-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kforcool
just wonting to find out weather light weight flywheels make radio control nitro cars off road or on road go faster. i read somewhere that light weight fly wheels make engine rev harder but docent make it go faster just makes it appear faster it was kind of confusing wasnt to sure weather it was refereeing to real cars or radio control cars just wonting to find out ways to make my nitro hsp 1/10th scale off road buggy go fast with stock engine i already have ball bearings installed and the upgraded dog bones im going to get custom metal 47t spur gear made and ive bought the 42t metal spur gear upgrade off myrc. i read that the 2 speed clutch sucks on the hsp dose any one know what other 2 speed clutch will fit a hsp? i noticed the transmission assembly was very similar to the hpi rs4 evo will the hpi 2 speed clutch work in a hsp? they look very similar in design
Light weight flywheels will allow the engine to spin to maximum RPM more quickly. But it will not allow the enginet o spin any faster then the tune will allow.. That said a few years back some pro drivers were runnign steel flywheels to slow down the quick reving engines in order to put the power to the ground better..
Old 08-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

A lighter fly wheel sill make the buggy react with more snap. It's like the difference from all steel outdrives and axles and then swapping to lightened outdrives and alum axels. Increases the initial response. Better idk depends ok the driver. Faster well if you can hang on to it maybe. I put a lighter flywheel on my buggy and it is very responsive from a stop. I had to pull the trigger a little slower to get around the track quicker (if that makes any sense
Old 08-24-2011, 06:34 AM
Tech Initiate

thank you makes sense wonting to get metal spur gears put in also to see what difference that makes also
Old 08-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kforcool
thank you makes sense wonting to get metal spur gears put in also to see what difference that makes also
Metal spur gears will have the oppostie effect of a light weight clutch.. Metal weighs more and will cause the rotating assembly to accelerate as easily, hence making acceleration slower. Metal spur gear will last longer, and that is the only real advantage of them..