Wiki Posts
Search

Quiet exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 06:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Quiet exhaust

Hi guys,
I have a Hong Nor X1 CRT with a G0 21 engine and it's loud as hell. Can anyone recommend a nice quiet pipe, so that I can drive my truck without driving my wife and neighbours insane?

I've done a bit of reading and saw somewhere that dual chamber pipes are quieter. Would 3 chamber pipes be quieter still?

Would something like the Hong Nor PI-812 / Jammin JP-6 EFRA3016 be a good choice? or would a cheaper, 2 chamber pipe fit my needs.

Performance is secondary to quietness...

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

What ever pipe you find is not going to silence it enough not to drive them nuts, and the only way for it not to annoy them is you have to get them to join ya. lol
Old 08-19-2011, 07:36 AM
Tech Rookie

A friend of mine had a kyosho buggy and that was really quiet compared to mine

Last edited by iamweasel; 08-21-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

This is true. Sure some pipes are louder than others, but you will never be able to silence it enough. I run a Werks 2058 and it's loud. The 2013 even louder.

Recently I was doing some T&T in a wide open football field with no houses anywhere near by. Just some high rise apartments way off in the distance. Well someone from those high risers called the cops complaining there were trail bikers in the park. Cops came driving through looking for the trail bikers and found me instead. They started laughing and were amused at how loud this little "toy car" was. They then drove off. I assume after that they would have ignored all noise complaints that day from where I was.

Point is these things are just plain loud for their tiny size. Want quiet and friendly? Go electric. Otherwise you need to take it to a track or somewhere with no houses around.

You probably could make a pipe up with plenty of fill inside of it, but it would kill the performance so badly it wouldn't be worth running.

Last edited by John.; 08-19-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Or...... you could switch to electric
Old 08-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys. No chance of switching to electric

What I'm really looking for are suggestions or quiet-er exhausts. and if the Jammin/Hong Nor pipe I mentioned above will be quieter than my stick pipe.

A mate has a kyosho buggy and that's quiet. it's like "brrrrrr" to my truggy's "WAAAAAAAAAAAA"
Granted, it may be a smaller engine (1:10th to my 1:8th), but it's just SO much quieter - he drove it through the house!

I tried stuffing my pipe with exhaust packing from my dirt bike and took it straight out. Not a solution...

Back to the question at hand: are dual chamber pipes noticeably quieter than stock? Are 3 chamber quieter than dual chamber?

I don't expect to run stealth missions with it, I'd just like it under 4.5 million decibels
Old 08-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Originally Posted by Chad Millikan
What ever pipe you find is not going to silence it enough not to drive them nuts, and the only way for it not to annoy them is you have to get them to join ya. lol
I like this statement
Old 08-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Anyone?

Are dual chamber pipes noticeably quieter than stock? Are 3 chamber quieter than dual chamber?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

GO ELECTRIC BECAUSE A NITRO WILL ALWAYS BE NOISY. LONG LIVE THE NITRO THAT PISSES OFF MY NOISY LOUDMOUTHED OBNOXIOUS NEIGHBOURS WHO BELIEVE THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES ALLOWED TO MAKE NOISE THAT WAKES MY KIDS UP AT 2AM UNTIL I GET UP AT 2AM DURING THE WORK WEEK AND FIRE UP MY BUGGY AND WAKE THEIR KIDS UP RETURNING THE FAVOR. HAHAHAHA AND THE FEUD STARTS. UNTIL THEIR KIDS ARE BEGGING THEM FOR ONE AND THEN THEY REALIZE THEY HAVE JUST JOINED THE R/C COMMUNITY AND HAVE BEEN CONFORMED TO THE NITRO WORLD. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 08-22-2011, 01:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

If my memories are right, this tuned pipe was a lot quieter than any others tuned pipes when I was racing MTs

But nitro is nitro... It will always make noise !
Old 08-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by iamweasel
Anyone?

Are dual chamber pipes noticeably quieter than stock? Are 3 chamber quieter than dual chamber?
More chambers = less noise.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Sylvain
But nitro is nitro... It will always make noise !
Yeah I know, but I've heard nitros that aren't that loud

Originally Posted by nitroexpress;
More chambers = less noise.
Cool, thanks - that's what I was starting to think.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by iamweasel
Yeah I know, but I've heard nitros that aren't that loud
Thanks guys!
A decent .21 engine, winding out to 30,000 or more rpm, is going to be louder than your neighbors lawnmower.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:15 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The old HPI on road cars with .12 engine and silencer (instead of tuned pipe) were not that noisy