Wiki Posts
Search

Engine flamming out

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
you'll be all serpent in 3 of them anyway and a little light in the wallet on your way home
The nitro challenge always takes it's toll ok the wallet but this year it will be a little less thanks to you. Btw I prefer a single bill, real-estate is pretty high in this new fancy wallet. The wife gave it to me
Old 08-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I'll take that also
Old 08-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SDelaney
Okay, so I was at a race this weekend in Florida and in each qualifer and then the mains my engine would flame out about 8 minutes into it. It seemed to be a heat issue, but I am not an engine expert.

The engine starts fine, idles like a champ and runs when I practice. However I am guessing because I usually practice at night that the tune/plug was not correct for the 95 degree day.

I am running a Nova 21 p4 with a 97T plug in it. For future reference what is the right plug to run on a HOT day and what adjustments do you typically make to your engine for these days, meaning fatten or richen the top or bottom?

Thanks guys
could be a short clunk in the tank, not reaching all the way to the back of the tank. could be lean tune, as tank empties tune leans a bit so try 1 or 2 hours richer on top. also because the clunk is not fully submerged in the fuel at the end of the tank it will pull in a little air at wot, leaning tune a bit also. 97t plugs are pretty good in all weather, similar to a p5, the 77t is more like a p4. if you are not confident with the plug i would try a 77t.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SDelaney
Okay, so I was at a race this weekend in Florida and in each qualifer and then the mains my engine would flame out about 8 minutes into it. It seemed to be a heat issue, but I am not an engine expert.

The engine starts fine, idles like a champ and runs when I practice. However I am guessing because I usually practice at night that the tune/plug was not correct for the 95 degree day.

I am running a Nova 21 p4 with a 97T plug in it. For future reference what is the right plug to run on a HOT day and what adjustments do you typically make to your engine for these days, meaning fatten or richen the top or bottom?

Thanks guys
I just fought this exact problem with the same motor this past weekend. First off get a Nova 6. Then you will only need to change range if the temp drops below 50°F or goes above 100°F. I have found inconsistant tuning in the plus 4 with an ODO plug.

Second, check your motor for a bad rear bearing.

Lastly, check the fit of piston in your sleeve. My motor exhibited the same symptoms in the same type of conditions. I found that my piston/sleeve fit was too loose, and needed to be resized.