Wiki Posts
Search

Toro Nero Seized on me...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by portyansky
I think you are right. Really sucks bc I like this fuel. So question is, do I get an engine for my fuel, or fuel for my engine? I got like 10 gallons of the stuff, but if I have to rip apart my engines after every race day to clean them out, it's gonna be a pain in the ass.
I would personally send it back and ask for the updated fuel or ask for it shipped when its ready.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Its the fuel. The very same thing happened to me twice with S&W. The castor oil turns into glue when heated too much. I was told they made a new formula so this does not happen anymore but in the meantime I switched brands. All you need to do is clean off all the gummed up Castor oil and your engine will be fine. Oven cleaner works well on a rag, or you can send it out. MAKE SURE YOU ALSO FLUSH OUT YOUR CARB! The Castor plugs up the needles also.
That would explain a lot. I've had a lot of problems with engines since I started running it in December, and blamed it on the tank seal. I ran a gallon of the old S&W in my Werks B6, then switched to the new formula. The engine never ran well and this weekend the engine went bad, the damage was already done with the old. The new formula seems fine though. Ran great with a borrowed Speed in the main.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpalessi
i dont get how you could say you like the fuel after this.... I would be pissed if what Jaz says is true.
I like the fuel b/c I love the performance of it. Never had an issue till now. (Ps. I run a Toro Nero and a JX21) This is the response I got from Brian...

Originally Posted by THE PHILLY JYNX
Originally Posted by THE PHILLY JYNX
was the piston varnished in the sleeve??? the novas dont like the standard TB becouse of the taper and pinch on the sleeve the side wall friction is very high and it reaches the flash point of one of the oils. Did you break this motor in with TB???I thought u ran JX motors? This could be the issue... if so a .99 cent can of oven cleaner will clean it up...I had to change the oil ratios around to find a combo that the novas like. running fat will also cause this and also a heat gun or comp heater can not be used. U can not use TB for breakin.......Brian
You know, i had a feeling the fuel might have been the issue. But had my doubts. I am not sure what the engine was broken in with. I will have to ask Wheeler since this was his engine. Yes, I normally run the jx engines, but wanted to give Nova a try. So I can not run this fuel with Nova engines?
if u clean it up real good and after say a race weekend pull the head button off when your doing maintainace put piston at BDC put oven cleaner on new clean rag and wipe inside of sleeve off you will be good to go. ITs not right but it is a fix for the issue your having.it wipes right off,once you get a excess build up on sleeve it locks up like what happen to you. the proper fix would be the proper fuel but with you up north thats an issue. try and also run it a little crisper..200 means there a larger mixture of fuel to air which in turn means more oil in each charge... and please no heat gun or comp heater...those get what hotter internally than what they read.I have seen 400 deg internal cylender temps and the thing reads 200! with comp heater....Brian

Last edited by J.Whiting; 06-26-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I like the fuel b/c I love the performance of it. Never had an issue till now. (Ps. I run a Toro Nero and a JX21) This is the response I got from Brian...
thats why you should only trust real deal fuel n engine designers. In all honesty ive seen brian n hambone struggle with engines more than just a few times, which is why I laugh when i see them giving engine advice online. if these guys are doing the testing/designing i would bail asap. nice guys but by no means should they be classified as experts.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

A fuel with caster oil that turns to hard gum and locks motors up isn't a fuel I would run in my mill no matter how good of performance it gave. I would rather have a fuel that made less power but made the engine last longer.

If I was in your shoes I would try and give the fuel back for a refund. He says his fuel doesnt like heat or to be ran fat. So there is a very small window it sounds that it would work. Not worth it.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

All I know is that in buggy that I run a AB Modded JX21 I can get over 11 minutes with it. In my truggy I run a Power House Mod Toro Nero and I can get 13 minutes on a tank. I doubt im running it rich. I dont pay attention to engine temps, havent for the past 4 years. The only time I get temped is when my pit guys get curious. And the hottest I came off the track yesterday was 254 to see how long I can get on a tank, so it ran dry.
Ran the fuel all last year, no issues, but ran OS based engines (JX21, Vspec). I think what Brian has wrote is the most honest answer any one can give. So I guess I have to make a choice if I wanna do the extra work after race days.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I also have a few gallons left. I use it for practice now and then I switch to the Powermaster for the races. any other fuel you run will tend to clean out the S&W and the Castor oil that may be gumming up inside. I really loved the S&W fuel as far as power and run time I think its by far the best fuel on the market, but the Castor oil package they use has some issues to say the least. I was told they have since changed it, but I still have the original version and dont plan to buy any more. you have to be careful with it. Here are some major no-no's with the original blend (trophy) :

Do not preheat engine for more than a minute or 2
Do not bench tune your engine for extended periods of time
Do not use it for break in of any engine

It seems that extended periods of any type of heat will cause the castor to get sticky. The good news is it does not hurt your engine in anyway as far as I can tell, but it is a PITA and cleaning the carb needles is not a fun task. You should contact Brian or Stan and get the complete low down.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpalessi
thats why you should only trust real deal fuel n engine designers. In all honesty ive seen brian n hambone struggle with engines more than just a few times, which is why I laugh when i see them giving engine advice online. if these guys are doing the testing/designing i would bail asap. nice guys but by no means should they be classified as experts.
that was totally unnecessary Joe
Old 06-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

that was totally unnecessary Joe
maybe, but its true...
Old 06-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

eb mods fuel
Old 06-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dreaux
eb mods fuel
hahah. nah ebmods actually did real testing with real results. and there was no stipulations like no NR's, no heat guns.. etc....
Old 06-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I had problems with "gummy" fuel years ago when I raced onroad.

No such issues with VP Fuels now. Love the stuff.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How long ago did they change the blend? I have a little bit left over from a purchase I made a couple of months ago and I have a competition heater on the way and now im worried.. Can the new TB be used with heat or is it still a no no?
Old 06-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

I also have a few gallons left. I use it for practice now and then I switch to the Powermaster for the races. any other fuel you run will tend to clean out the S&W and the Castor oil that may be gumming up inside. I really loved the S&W fuel as far as power and run time I think its by far the best fuel on the market, but the Castor oil package they use has some issues to say the least. I was told they have since changed it, but I still have the original version and dont plan to buy any more. you have to be careful with it. Here are some major no-no's with the original blend (trophy) :

Do not preheat engine for more than a minute or 2
Do not bench tune your engine for extended periods of time
Do not use it for break in of any engine

It seems that extended periods of any type of heat will cause the castor to get sticky. The good news is it does not hurt your engine in anyway as far as I can tell, but it is a PITA and cleaning the carb needles is not a fun task. You should contact Brian or Stan and get the complete low down.
I have both blends, i think. The 2 new cases I have I got at motorama from Brian (has the new blue labels) and I have some of the "old" stuff. This happened to me with the new blue labelled one.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default well

I say take the engine apart an soak everything in denatured alcohol for a couple of hours to make sure all the crap is broked down, and the dry it really good and reassemble it with plenty of oil...Put a new glowplug in it and use some good fuel. I use Byrons, but there are lots of good fuels. OD, Powermaster...I liked the old blend of powermaster but I hear good things about the vp version too...I would add one ounce of caster oil to it though....
then set the needles a little rich for a tank or two to reseat all the parts and run it. and the toro runs at about 230-250. Don't baby it.....and take out the copper shim and leave the two alluminum ones in there....

I bet ur engine is fine.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.